Spring Picnic 2008 - May 18th

jparrott

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While we're on the topic, is there any chance of having it on this side of the Potomac?

Only if you're ok with a booze-free picnic, or can locate a cheap private site. DC, MoCo, PG, and Howard all prohibit alcohol at public picnic sites. (I think we ran through this exercise last year...)

Oh, and TIP here, sort of. Qualified for the program, didn't qualify for aid and couldn't come up with the money. :( And I'll probably be wheezing after 5 minutes on the field, but I'm game for Ultimate. A couple of friends of mine still play in some local adult league.

Only if you're ok with a booze-free picnic, or can locate a cheap private site. DC, MoCo, PG, and Howard all prohibit alcohol at public picnic sites. (I think we ran through this exercise last year...)
Oh right. Forgot about that. We'll continue schlepping to VA...

I am amazed (okay, maybe I shouldn't be) at how many of us are on the board!

But I suck at ultimate, so fellow TIPsters would be best served not to invite me to be on their team.....

You people play as long as you want...the rest of us will be busily eating your share :(
Oh right. Forgot about that. We'll continue schlepping to VA...
Maybe someone in VA could find some place closer in then? Or on the water? I miss sitting around, gorging, and watching the river.

I'm sorry-only your offspring are allowed at the picnics Don. How else do you remain the nation's capitol man of mystery :(

Can we please do a little pre-planning Don. On a cold, rainy night thinking about a picnic in the spring, with or without down pour, is a nice warm thing to think about :(

Oh, and TIP here, sort of. Qualified for the program, didn't qualify for aid and couldn't come up with the money. :( And I'll probably be wheezing after 5 minutes on the field, but I'm game for Ultimate. A couple of friends of mine still play in some local adult league.

I'm ok with a booze-free picnic. Let's try it! We could do a sampling of non-alcoholic drinks. I'm sure it will be a big hit!

I'm ok with a booze-free picnic. Let's try it! We could do a sampling of non-alcoholic drinks. I'm sure it will be a big hit!
Look, just because you are the only person in dr.com picnic history to have to go to the hospital doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't have a chance to try :(
Does not compute...

The place on the water was Belle Haven Park, and as I recall, it wasn't a place that could be reserved. I'd vote for Montrose Park, but it's most likely not big enough.

Belle Haven took a lot of baby-sitting because we couldn't reserve it. If we are able to get that whole front area of Montrose Park where we had the first picnic it could work but parking would be an absolute nightmare.
As I recall, BHP was technically no-alcohol-allowed as well.
Yep.

Anyone have a ginormous backyard we could take advantage of?

Yes, though it's a six-hour drive (if 95 is cooperating) so that could put a bit of a damper on things :-) On the other hand it is home to some of the best Disc Golf (which is what I crossed over into from Ultimate years ago) around.

Maybe someone in VA could find some place closer in then? Or on the water? I miss sitting around, gorging, and watching the river.
It doesn't look like Arlington allows alcohol. The only other park in Alexandria that is an option is Fort Ward Park - with an ABC permit, wine and keg beer are allowed in the picnic areas. It is closer in than Fort Hunt - near King Street and I-395. Unfortunately it's not near the water :( All of the waterfront parks charge a $150 hourly rental rate :(

I can check on availability if other options don't work out.

I put a vote in for either of the two Alexandria locations. I have been to both and while I prefer the status quo, mainly because we get more privacy, I think either one would work. We need to secure a place pretty quickly. We should expect 100+ people.

May 18, 25 or June 1 st (Sundays) would work for me. All these dates are available as of today

I really would like to have another pig roast (maybe just one this time) and have everyone chip in a few bucks for it. We can decide other tasting and events as we go along.

I am volunteering to help run the picnic, but I will not do so alone. The only way these really work is to have a bunch of people put some real effort into the details. Some of the previous organizers are no longer on the board, so we will need some new volunteers.

So who wants to help out??

I put a vote in for either of the two Alexandria locations. I have been to both and while I prefer the status quo, mainly because we get more privacy, I think either one would work. We need to secure a place pretty quickly. We should expect 100+ people.

May 18, 25 or June 1 st (Sundays) would work for me. All these dates are available as of today

I really would like to have another pig roast (maybe just one this time) and have everyone chip in a few bucks for it. We can decide other tasting and events as we go along.

I am volunteering to help run the picnic, but I will not do so alone. The only way these really work is to have a bunch of people put some real effort into the details. Some of the previous organizers are no longer on the board, so we will need some new volunteers.

Agreed on the status quo location.

My vote would go for the 18th. the 25th is memorial day wkend, lots of people are out of town. and if there is physical activity involved (frisbee), then the earlier (cooler) the better.

I could help out with the pig roast organization side of things. Any cajachina owners game? Or should we rent a spit?

Looks like Scott has been appointed (by acclamation) "Le Grand Fromage" for the picnic.

Cheese Head hat optional.

But, do any of these locations have room for the Ultimate field?!