CNN Reports on DC Late Night Spots

DanCole42

For a piece titled "New late-night dining spots in DC" I don't know why they would mention Ben's Chili Bowl, but they do.
I thought that was odd, too, but they called it "classic," in the context of saying there are both old and new places mixed together in the area. It seemed like they just wanted to fit it in somehow, but it doesn't fit with all the other places mentioned in the article.

Am i the only one dissapointed in Ben's chili?

I've only had the veggie kind, but don't care for it or their fries.

That being said, i do love going to the place, for the atmosphere, and their yellow cake with choc. icing isn't bad.

But given how much i like the look and feel of the place, i wish the food was better so i could go there more often!

Am i the only one dissapointed in Ben's chili?

I've only had the veggie kind, but don't care for it or their fries.

That being said, i do love going to the place, for the atmosphere, and their yellow cake with choc. icing isn't bad.

But given how much i like the look and feel of the place, i wish the food was better so i could go there more often!

Their chili kinda sucks. I lived around the corner from the place for seven years -- with kids; in need of cheap casual places back when there was NOTHING on U street (when I was boy, I had to walk ten blocks in driving snow, doging muggers and crack dealers to get to a hip bar) -- and never found a reason to go there more than once, save when my wife was doing that premature labor thing and needed something/anything to eat one night.

On another note, much as I like Proof, only someone with a warped sense of contemporary economics would put it in a column called "Budget Travel." Well worth a drop-by, and reasonably priced wines, but not so much if you're pinching pennies. 'less there's a sale on the Harlan I didn't get an e-mail about.

On another note, much as I like Proof, only someone with a warped sense of contemporary economics would put it in a column called "Budget Travel." Well worth a drop-by, and reasonably priced wines, but not so much if you're pinching pennies. 'less there's a sale on the Harlan I didn't get an e-mail about.

I agree that Proof is not cheap - nor was it ever intended to be so. But if you are looking for great food and wine, a kitchen that uses the finest available ingredients, and an elegant setting, Proof is a budget minded alternative to DC's elite dining spots. And though you kindly singled us out, I'm quite sure we are no pricier than a couple of the other restaurants mentioned in the article.

Finally, Charles - for you a special deal - 35% off all Harlan this month. When can I expect you?

And though you kindly singled us out, I'm quite sure we are no pricier than a couple of the other restaurants mentioned in the article.

Finally, Charles - for you a special deal - 35% off all Harlan this month. When can I expect you?

Funny. I never noticed chili and half-smokes on the menu at Proof before. :mellow:

Okay, so there's a complaint that we're reading and not posting. Here's what was on my mind when I read the title of this thread and interpreted it relevant to places that are serving alcohol late at night and sending patrons forth into the morning:

Around 1:45 AM, I turned on the light next to my bed and peered out the window to identify the source of the ruckus.

An SUV was idling next to a small car parked behind my building, no more than a few yards from the bedroom window of my neighbors downstairs where a three-year old miraculously did not wake up and start screaming.

Two young women, 23ish, one with a blonde pony-tail, I'm guessing recently graduated with a degree in Communications, were pissed as hell, conversing merrily, laughing, stumbling and slamming car doors.

Oh, and one squatted behind a car other than her own, pulled down her pants and pissed, again, just within a few yards from a tall residential building.

Couldn't quite figure out why the pair decided to stop the SUV by the passenger's parked car unless it was to fetch a jacket from the back seat since they wisely drove off in the one SUV, lowering the potential for accidents by 50%.

So much for D.C. nightlife in the wee hours on Thursday.

Brilliant take on the scene. He has a point about Ben's - it ain't new.

He's a little cranky -- a blogger I love to hate. I posted for amusement/conversation value, not out of any agreement.

I wonder why they didn't mention BdC, which is open late, newer than Ben's and less expensive than some.