Washington Post Best Bets

Kanishka

I've got into serious trouble for my unsolicited thoughts (!) on topics like this but I can't help but note that Italian does not include Maestro (there! I said it!), ice cream does not include Vienna's Neilsen's(which is as good as Kopp's in Milwaukee and Michael's in Madison, WI for its basic vanilla and makes a concrete better than Ted Drewes in St. Louis which invented them) and Phillips which was a great crab house in its only 200 seat location in Ocean City-in 1963-is ranked 3rd for crabs. Isn't Phillips crab meat Indonesian, Venezualan or some other even uglier crustacean that no one has ever seen alive?

Good god.

Just browsing the restaurant section makes me want to cry... and somehow amplifies JoeH's very interesting point that the truly excellent dining options in DC need to bang the PR drum a little harder. Seriously -- Maggiano's? Ruth's Chris? I will now go hang my head in shame.

Ha ha ha...the Melting Pot as second most romantic restaurant behind the Inn at Little Washington. That's freakin' hilarious! Who ARE these people?

Who ARE these people?

They are our neighbors, LolaDC....they are our teachers, and bus drivers, and check-out clerks, and people who stand on the left side of the Metro escalator. They are all around us. They are everywhere, and they are nowhere. Nowhere good, apparently. :P

I am also happy to read that the top sushi restaurant has a full chinese menu, and that Cafe Asia ahead of Sushi-Ko and Kaz for sushi.

I had quite the chuckle at that. All Japanese restauranteurs should be up in arms. Edited by ustreetguydc

Who ARE these people?

I'm assuming people whose idea of romance includes gettin' busy to the lingering scent of burning oil and melted cheese. Mind you I'm not discounting this as a turn on for a significant portion of the populace.

My biggest memory from my only visit to a Melting Pot was not the food but the adherence of eau de fondue to my jacket, one that persisted for days. Four hours in a smoke-filled dive bar ain't got nothin' on 2 hours surrounded by various forms of grease in vapor form.

What on earth is the point of nominating a chain anything (restaurant, bookstore, day spa etc) as a "best bet of washington DC?" I shudder to think that a visitor looking at this list would think that the list was all this city had to offer. Very upsetting.

It reminds me of a conversation I was having the other day about going to places "where the locals eat, " and that sometimes the locals may not have good taste! Of course, the survey is unscientific, and prone to being influence by lobbying campaigns of restaurants, but is nonetheless a bit disturbing.

These things happen because of volume. Someone who votes for Inn at Little Washington because they've "heard it's good" counts just as much as someone who's actually been to 63 different restaurants in the Washington area and really waffled for hours on whether Eve or Komi better fits the bill. A lot more people fall into the first category than the second.

I can only sigh and shrug. And think about how I went to the Red Lobster for prom.

Jael

Four hours in a smoke-filled dive bar ain't got nothin' on 2 hours surrounded by various forms of grease  in vapor form.

So true! I really don't mean to sound like a snob (okay, yes I do), but I just can't see what is romantic about that place. If I want to spend a romantic evening eating food I have to cook myself, I sure as hell would rather do it standing in front of my own stove wearing jammy pants and drinking my own stash of good wine. Now THAT'S romantic! :P

These things happen because of volume. Someone who votes for Inn at Little Washington because they've "heard it's good" counts just as much as someone who's actually been to 63 different restaurants in the Washington area and really waffled for hours on whether Eve or Komi better fits the bill. A lot more people fall into the first category than the second.

I can only sigh and shrug. And think about how I went to the Red Lobster for prom.

Jael

OK, I'll admit...I used to love those Red Lobster rolls they used to give out. One time, in law school, I had a craving and called them up to see if they'd sell me a few "a la carte." I walked away with a bag of 4...suffice it to say, I should've left those sleeping dogs lie. Not quite what I remembered them to be...especially on the 4th one.

I shudder to think that a visitor looking at this list would think that the list was all this city had to offer.

Well, that's what happened to me last summer when I first moved here. I looked at the Best Bets (because in Chicago the analogue is actually quite accurate), and I saw Ruth's Chris and OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE as two of the top ten. I was shocked to say the least. But at least I realized that the survey might be stupid.

Best pick up spot #8: Mister Days Sports Rock Café. :P

And the Top ten "Kid-friendly" places make me want to slit my wrists - with the exception of #7.

1. Generous George's Positive Pizza & Pasta Place

A sensory bonanza of flamingo pink and grasshopper green, this kitschy fun house pleases picky little eaters with pizza, macaroni and cheese and the popular chicken dinosaurs (in other words, the same shit on every kid menu in town).

2. Rainforest Café

3. California Tortilla

4. Silver Diner

5. Chuck E. Cheese's

6. Austin Grill

7. 2 Amys

8. Red Robin

9. Fuddruckers

10. McDonald's

Hey, don't knock Generous George's so hard just because the description the Post gave was inane. It's a useful joint for carbo-loading. And now that the Annandale location has been replaced by an Ilmee, there are exactly the right number of them.

(Seriously, though, this is a jones joint for my wife and not all that hopeless for me. And all the kids around us seem to be having fun).

The Melting Pot is very romantic... to me, anyway, because my now-husband proposed to me after a dinner there.

As for the other choices, well, the amusement factor is high. Phillips ranking so high in the crab category is not nearly as chortle-inducing as the placement of Joe's Crab Shack in the #5 spot.

Hell, I'm almost stunned that McDonald's and Burger King didn't make the top ten list for burger joints.

I have to agree that Old Town Alexandria is a perfect first date place. My husband and I had our first date there, many dates there, wedding proposal there, and alas wedding there. Needless to say I'm endeared to it. With Eve and Majestic et al it keeps getting better.

The Melting Pot is very romantic... to me, anyway, because my now-husband proposed to me after a dinner there.

As for the other choices, well, the amusement factor is high. Phillips ranking so high in the crab category is not nearly as chortle-inducing as the placement of Joe's Crab Shack in the #5 spot.

Hell, I'm almost stunned that McDonald's and Burger King didn't make the top ten list for burger joints.

Is Joe's crab shack still around? I know the one in Bethesda closed a couple of years ago.

Joe's Crab Shack is a national chain. And it doesn't serve crabs. Unless you count dismembered, allegedly Alaskan limbs.

Edit: On the wireless at (insert Loudoun-county-based-brewery-and-pub-name here)....that's the beer spelling.

Edited by jparrott

I almost don't mind the stupid restaurant selections- I'm OK with the fact that most people don't give as much thought to restaurant choices as folks like us do.

But come on!!- best coffee? STARBUCKS? Wake up people!!! This is like having McDonald's for best hamburgers. Or, even better, best romantic restaurant. I guess if the majority of the voting city loves burnt coffee or coffee flavored slurpees, then maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm hurt that my java joint of choice- the Java Shack at Wilson and N. Franklin in Arlington (ahem, just past the Mr. Tire- ahem- you should go!) didn't even make the list. Great coffee, locally owned by a great guy named Dale. Sad.

I almost don't mind the stupid restaurant selections- I'm OK with the fact that most people don't give as much thought to restaurant choices as folks like us do. 

But come on!!- best coffee?  STARBUCKS?  Wake up people!!! This is like having McDonald's for best hamburgers.  Or, even better, best romantic restaurant.  I guess if the majority of the voting city loves burnt coffee or coffee flavored slurpees, then maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.  I'm hurt that my java joint of choice- the Java Shack at Wilson and N. Franklin in Arlington (ahem, just past the Mr. Tire- ahem- you should go!) didn't even make the list.  Great coffee, locally owned by a great guy named Dale.  Sad.

I had my third Starbucks ever last week, I hope I do not have to go through that ever again. It was the worst cup of joe I have had since college. I would have had no complaints if Dunkin Donuts had made the list, it always surprises me how good and consistant their coffee is.

I had my third Starbucks ever last week, I hope I do not have to go through that ever again.  It was the worst cup of joe I have had since college.  I would have had no complaints if Dunkin Donuts had made the list, it always surprises me how good and consistant their coffee is.

The worst cup since college? Wow, I don't love Starbucks but I have had a lot worse then them. What are some of your favorite places for coffee in the area?

When I really want a good cup of coffee I head to Greenberry's on Wilson. I don't drink coffee all that often (some deleterious effects on my body), so when I get it I try and make it count. The cup of black coffee at Starbucks was acidic, and tasted burnt, nothing pleasant about it, I would rather drink cold espresso at Leopold’s Kafe (which was my experience there).

I have to say that the best cup of coffee I have ever had, was at Nectar. That was the place that kept on giving.

"Mike's American Grill" is listed seventh for crabs.  Decent joint if you're stuck in Springfield.  But no crabs.

Now Mike's on the South River south of Annapolis is decent enough for crabs, but sure enough, it says "Mike's American Grill."

I kept looking at this thinking it was a mistake. I even looked again today thinking it would have been removed :P

I kept looking at this thinking it was a mistake.  :)

The 2006 nominations are now up for grabs. We have 1020 registered members as of today. If we can stop being cynical for a few minutes, it might be an opportunity to showcase what's really good in Washington DC, so the next poll won't be it's usual annual travesty. And don't be intimidated into naming something from their pull down menu (for instance, Tosca isn't on their list for "best Italian" and Dairy Godmother is not listed under "Best Ice Cream" even tho other custard places are.)

The 2006 nominations are now up for grabs. We have 1020 registered members as of today.  If we can stop being cynical for a few minutes, it might be an opportunity to showcase what's really good in Washington DC, so the next poll won't be it's usual annual travesty.  And don't be intimidated into naming something from their pull down menu (for instance, Tosca isn't on their list for "best Italian" and Dairy Godmother is not listed under "Best Ice Cream" even tho other custard places are.)

i just voted. strangely enough it seems that one can vote mutliple times from the same computer. i wonder if they have software that will delete duplicates from the same i.p. address.

Screw it.  I just voted for all the places I hate.  Damned if I want the crowds around Rays etc to get thicker than they already are.

That's right Charles, have the Post give the crappy places all the publicty so they will survive while all the good places get no mention and go under. Excellent strategy.

That's right Charles, have the Post give the crappy places all the publicty so they will survive while all the good places get no mention and go under.  Excellent strategy.

Gone under or overbooked -- if I can't get a table, they're both the same to me.

And it is all about mi (n Yu).

The 2006 nominations are now up for grabs. We have 1020 registered members as of today. If we can stop being cynical for a few minutes, it might be an opportunity to showcase what's really good in Washington DC, so the next poll won't be it's usual annual travesty. And don't be intimidated into naming something from their pull down menu (for instance, Tosca isn't on their list for "best Italian" and Dairy Godmother is not listed under "Best Ice Cream" even tho other custard places are.)
It's voting time for those of us who are not hardened cynics. Yes, the choices are still a travesty, but some write-in nominations have made the cut, [Dairy Godmother and Restaurante Tosca amazingly made the lists - sheer coincidence, or the power of dr.com?]

I think that we should all vote early and often for Kenny's for the best BBQ. I think that it sums up all the horrid BBQ in the area. Everything always tasted like it was boiled before it hit the grill. Plus, since it is currently closed it is less offensive than any of the others listed.

I think that it sums up all the horrid BBQ in the area. Everything always tasted like it was boiled before it hit the grill. Plus, since it is currently closed it is less offensive than any of the others listed.
Urban BBQ IS the best in the area and is really great, not a settlefor.

I was trying to link to the Urban folder in Restaurants, but not working (search in Restaurants)

I would not consider Urban BBQ to be great. It is near the top of the settle for list. There is nothing that I have had there that I would call inspirational, and the ribs were almost inedible. I was not surprised to learn they guys running it came from Rocklands.

Sorry, I have to disagree -

Mmmmmm - Soul Rolls

OK, you like the "Soul Rolls". They might be a fine dish (I have not had them), but they are not exactly something that makes a BBQ joint great. So what is it that makes Urban BBQ so great?

I have been twice, and both times they were not horrible, but nothing I would call great. Maybe the two times I have tried Urban BBQ they were having bad days. On those occasions, I found the food (specifically the ribs and pulled pork) to be uninspired and frankly quite boring.

I would not consider Urban BBQ to be great. It is near the top of the settle for list. There is nothing that I have had there that I would call inspirational, and the ribs were almost inedible. I was not surprised to learn they guys running it came from Rocklands.
I fall in with Sthitch on this one. In 4 or 5 visits, I have not really been overly impressed with anything at Urban.

I fall in with Sthitch on this one. In 4 or 5 visits, I have not really been overly impressed with anything at Urban.

And I join this camp, too... except for the Soul Rolls, which may not be in and of themselves a reason to go, but ... oh heck, yes they are. :unsure:

I've only been for weekday lunch one time, when I did find things lacking.

However, the couple of times I've been there at off-hours on a weekend, or on a weekday evening, I've found the cue to be much better. It seems to me that they just haven't figured out how to do the high turnover, and once any of the BBQ hits the steam table, it degrades in seconds.