Vegan Dining

I have some Vegan friends that I want to take out in the DC area (actually as close to SS as possible). What are some good VEGAN options that are more on the mid to upper range rather than the dives you usually see me at? Yes, I am looking for true Vegan, no animal or fish products or by products. While Ray's has a veggie entree, I am looking for a place with some variety. Help me out guys!

In my vegetarian days, the Vegetable Garden in Rockville was a standard. It's pretty close to White Flint Mall on the opposite site of the Pike, and rarely took me longer than 20 minutes to reach from Takoma Park. Buddhist Chinese vegetarian food, and I'm pretty sure it's all vegan. I preferred it to Yuan Fu back then, partly because Yuan Fu was a much greater distance from my home. It's not fine dining, but it's a pleasant enough room for a Chinese place in a strip center on Rville Pike.

What about that Rock Creek place?

Harmony Cafe in Georgetown is delicious for asian food. And, while it's definitely not upscale, Soul Veg has the best vegan food in the city. In Takoma Park, you have Mark's Cafe (though not upscale either). You should also take them to Sticky Fingers, a vegan bakery in Petworth.

I cant recall the name of the restaurant. I think maybe it is Myammar. I think it is a Malaysian restaurant. I recall there being many selections that happen to be vegan, but there were many carniverous selections as well. And its location is in Silver Spring. Too bad SunFlower vegetarian restaurant isnt an ideal location for you. That place rocks.

Don't assume this is true - ask when ordering! Ethiopian food often is made with kibe (or kibbe, kibbeh, niter kibbeh, etc.), a form of clarified butter. Delicious, but not vegan.
they tend to be generally safe because they're used for the fasting days, which means no animal products of any kind. Ethiopian has always been one of the safest things for vegan friends because of that.

they tend to be generally safe because they're used for the fasting days, which means no animal products of any kind. Ethiopian has always been one of the safest things for vegan friends because of that.

That's good to know. I've found many Ethiopian recipes that include kibbeh in vegetarian dishes, but since online recipes from unknown sources are not known for reliable authenticity, it wouldn't surprise me if they're bastardized, probably by people attempting to make the recipes more authentic ("Hey, why is there oil in this recipe? Real Ethiopian cooking uses...").

I cant recall the name of the restaurant. I think maybe it is Myammar. I think it is a Malaysian restaurant. I recall there being many selections that happen to be vegan, but there were many carniverous selections as well. And its location is in Silver Spring. Too bad SunFlower vegetarian restaurant isnt an ideal location for you. That place rocks.

That's probably Mandalay, on Bonifant St. in downtown Silver Spring. It's Burmese (Myanmar) and it's very good. Many, many vegetarian options, as well as plenty of beef, pork, chicken, and seafood choices.

Harmony Cafe in Georgetown is delicious for asian food. And, while it's definitely not upscale, Soul Veg has the best vegan food in the city. In Takoma Park, you have Mark's Cafe (though not upscale either). You should also take them to Sticky Fingers, a vegan bakery in Petworth.

Saturday afternoon's tennis session break was spent in Columbia heights and after some snacks and beer at Commonwealth we popped into Sticky Fingers for a coffee and dessert. It was only after I had eaten my cupcake that I realized that this was a vegan bakery. And before I realized that I thought my carrot cake cupcake was better than just about any other that I have had in the city.

To guarantee vegan options at non-ethnic restaurants, call ahead to ask when making a reservation-- many places are happy to put together a nice vegan plate which can be more than just a collection of side dishes, but it's much easier to do that with proper warning.

Since this thread is old, I'm wondering if anyone has new additions to the vegan list. Particularly in DC and at a lower price point (so not Elizabeth's Gone Raw, wonderful though I hear that is).

Thanks!!

Funny, I just last night recommended Science Club, not as a vegan restaurant, but as a bar, to a mutual friend looking for a casual meeting place. Items marked "V" on their menu are vegan. I've only been there once, but I really enjoyed it.

If I were vegan, the one cuisine I would give up over my dead body would be Indian. Don't forget Masala Art and Rasika.

If I were vegan, the one cuisine I would give up over my dead body would be Indian. Don't forget Masala Art and Rasika.

If I were vegan, the vegan section of Middle Eastern mezze -- tabouli, baba ghanouj, hummus, grape leaves, zaatar bread, beets and a few dozen other delicious options would be my go-to menu....even in Lent, kibbee is made with potatoes....

At R24 we do Vegan Journey and Progression menus with one week notice. To date we have done 28 vegan Journey menus.

....and then I would break up my routine with with something along these lines....

The restaurants in Jose Andres' empire offer a vegan menu. I once had dinner at Zaytinya with 2 omnivores, a vegan, and a young lady who dislikes everything, and I am gluten-intolerant. Several of us had special menus and were very happy. One of the party . . . wasn't.

Having a vegan sister-in-law, I have much experience with this!

As mention above, Zaytinya and Jaleo are surprisingly vegan friendly.

Also mentioned above Indian works well. Rasika was very helpful

Most veg Ethiopian is also vegan. We really like the veg sampler at Ethiopic.

Founding Farmer's has a decent veg/vegan selection. Sister-in-law liked the vegan burger. Good option for brunch.

Many pizza places now carry vegan cheese substitute: District of Pi, Pizza Paradiso, and Pete's are good options.

Thai and Vietnamese places can prepare many dishes vegan, just stress no fish sauce.

Sticky Fingers bakery makes some pretty good desserts that you would not suspect are vegan (they also make some that don't work well!)

Galaxy Hut just went all veg/vegan...dive bar vegan!

As mention above VegDC has a very good listof veg/vegan restaurant options.

and finally here is a short list of Wash Post recommendations

• Like 1

I'm wondering if anyone has new additions to the vegan list. Particularly in DC and at a lower price

Meridian Pint. I don't find the food here great, but the veg food is better than the meat food, Iand I hear that the vegan food is good. The beer is great.

Smoke & Barrel has good vegan food and excellent beer.

On 2/13/2008 at 7:12 PM, Scott Johnston said:

I have some Vegan friends that I want to take out in the DC area (actually as close to SS as possible). What are some good VEGAN options that are more on the mid to upper range rather than the dives you usually see me at? Yes, I am looking for true Vegan, no animal or fish products or by products. While Ray's has a veggie entree, I am looking for a place with some variety. Help me out guys!

Wow, reading through threads finding vegan choices and I find this gem. Nearly a decade later we have Fancy Radish in the DMV. Times have changed, and in my dining ventures I will be seeking out more places that offer  a variety of inventive plant base dishes that go beyond a plate of  veggies. Any, and all suggestions welcome.

11 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I have a friend coming into the District to shoot engagement photos for a couple, and is vegan and loves to dine out! Other than the obvious Fancy Radish, where else should she go?

Shouk and Chaia - both fast-casual, and both the best fast-casual restaurants in the entire DMV, as far as I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I have a friend coming into the District to shoot engagement photos for a couple, and is vegan and loves to dine out! Other than the obvious Fancy Radish, where else should she go?

I think Equinox does very good, as they call it, plant-based dishes. I've never been disappointed there.

Cedar Restaurant also has a vegan menu/sub-menu.

Doron Petersan's Fare Well on H Street is all vegan, and I like their brunch items. And since she runs Sticky Fingers as well, yummy desserts are available.

And, as said above, Smoke & Barrel still does good vegan food at a BBQ place.

• Thanks 1

Almost every Middle Eastern restaurant offers a plethora of vegan mezze appetizers -- hummus, baba ghanouj, tabbouli, pickled turnips, olives, you-name-it. You can cover the entire table with small vegan plates, tuck in with hot-out-of-the-oven pita bread, and gorge yourself. I've done it often, and I'm a devout carnivore.

• Like 1