Viennetta

DanCole42

The wiki article says they're made by Unilever. If you click on the link you'll get a list of their brands which include all of the following ice cream related products:

Ben&Jerry's

Breyers

Cornetto

GB Glace

Golden Gay Time (not making that up-- apparently an ice cream from Australia)

Good Humor

HB Ice Cream

Klondike Bar

Magnum (an ice cream brand, not an extra large gun, wine bottle, or condom)

Popsicle

Wall's Ice Cream

They also make a ton of soap, detergent, cosmetics, and perfumes. On top of that they do several brands of mustards, fake butter, peanut butter, Marmite/Bovril, and mayo. Man, a disgruntled employee could really wreck havoc at the factory.

Does anyone know where to find it around here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennetta

I remember buying these years ago; I think it was marketed as a Breyer's product around here. Had to let them soften just a smidge to cut off a slice. Haven't seen one for sale in ages.

The ad campaign positioned it as a luxury ice cream for the calorie-conscious, with the ripple effect giving it a better mouthfeel than if they just whipped more air into a conventional ice cream. Same sort of thinking behind Cadbury's Flake bar, really.

I remember buying these years ago; I think it was marketed as a Breyer's product around here. Had to let them soften just a smidge to cut off a slice. Haven't seen one for sale in ages.
I recall it being Breyers too. I used to like that every now and then. Hadn't thought about it in a long time.

My advice, don't bother.

Way back when, my wife and I bought one of these, as we were enticed by the commercial on TV. In the ad, the "Vienetta" made an awesome crackling sound when they sliced into it and it looked delicious. When we found one at the local grocery store, we were quite disappointed. It was kind of a hard block of ice cream and a whipped topping similiar to Cool Whip. It's pretty lame.

Instead, you should take your $5 and go to Dolcezza in Georgetown and get some pistachio gelato. Now that's good eatin'....

I find it funny that after seeing this post, I now see products similar to the Viennetta everywhere. I think HT still carries it and there's something similar at TJ in a pink box. And Andelman, you should have returned yours, since as lame as the "crackling" sound it made on my first purchase of this back in the early 90's, there was a least a faint sound....