Beef Recalled

Pat

Wegmans is one the stores affected. Giant is also involved, but I'm not sure if it's the PA Giant, which is different from the DC area Giant, or not.

The PA Giant was already part of Royal Asshold when the latter acquired DC Giant in the late 90s. In recent years, you've probably noticed the items branded with PA Giant's logo sold at DC Giant stores.

Giant Eagle, slowly expanding down the coast, is unrelated.

In recent years, you've probably noticed the items branded with PA Giant's logo sold at DC Giant stores.
Oops. I haven't noticed that. I guess I haven't been paying very good attention :blink:. I used to like the PA Giant way back when and shopped there when I lived in central PA in the early 80s.

181250 cows died for nothing. They say most of the meat has already been eaten by school children. Before delusional senators propose frivolous bills to ban the force feeding of birds they should visit a slaughterhouse and add consistency to their stupid arguments.

"USDA recalls 143 million pounds of beef"

That's a hell of a lot of beef.

Put another way, that's a half pound of beef for every person in the entire US.

<shudder>

Watch the Humane Society video of the animal abuse. The lack of humanity in most humans leads me to believe that this kind of behavior is probably the norm and not the exception.

[This video is quite disturbing, and everyone should think twice before watching it.

I've known this topic would come up, and even chose to make it a separate thread, but I also fear a great potential for things to get out of hand. Please feel free to discuss this sad situation, but please also resist any urge to jump into general political diatribe or argument. Thanks in advance.]

This is so sad, yet something I know, in my gut, is prevalent-yet I choose to ignore it. What this brings home to me is my New Year's resolution to eat less meat, but when I do purchase it, buy it from local farmers where I know (to the best of my ability) how the animal was raised and treated before being humanely killed. I must do better at this.

Watch the Humane Society video of the animal abuse. The lack of humanity in most humans leads me to believe that this kind of behavior is probably the norm and not the exception.
Presumably these idiots thought they could get away with it because they were producing ground beef for institutional use, and hamburger hides a multitude of sins - the carcasses that won't grade high enough for boxed beef because they're too dark from pre-slaughter stress, or too skinny, or show obvious bruising, are still considered to be okay for ground beef use.

A packing plant that's producing boxed beef for primal cuts/steaks rather than primarily ground beef has an economic incentive to treat the cattle well, because it affects their bottom line - cattle that have been significantly mistreated simply won't pass the carcass grading. The real expert in this area is Temple Grandin, and her estimate is that 10 to 15 percent of facilities are trying to fool the inspectors or mistreat animals. While that's a disturbingly high percentage, it still isn't a majority, and I can guarantee you that the majority of beef producers are just as disgusted and horrified by this incident as the rest of the country.

Again, the best thing you can do is reinforce to the industry how important this is by voting with your wallet - buy from small producers and look for programs like Certified Humane.

I am probably in the minority with regard to my attitudes about organic, localvore, etc. and I generally tune out to such messages.

However, I find cruelty to animals that are raised for slaughter to be completely unacceptable.

For those in the know, please provide information regarding where I can buy humanely raised and slaughtered meat. I don't have enough scratch to eat at Citronelle once a week but I am willing to pay more for meat that is ethically OK. Is any widely available (Whole Paycheck) meat OK?

For those in the know, please provide information regarding where I can buy humanely raised and slaughtered meat. I don't have enough scratch to eat at Citronelle once a week but I am willing to pay more for meat that is ethically OK. Is any widely available (Whole Paycheck) meat OK?
Check at your local farmer's market. Many farms raise/slaughter their animals according to more humane standards. You might also want to check with your local butcher (My Butcher and More, Laurel Meat Market, Wagner's Meat) and ask where they source their meat from.

The latest ground beef recalls here (Fairbanks Farms, NY - sold in Giant, BJs & TJs) and here (USDA link).

Are not contaminations of this sort more commonly associated with pre-formed burger patties? This looks like loose ground beef was also involved. I haven't been in a TJ's in years, but the sense I get from these links is that their beef is ground in NY and then distributed nationwide. Is this true?

I am under the illusion that my local Whole Foods grinds my beef right there in the store. For some reason I have been led to believe that this makes the risk of contamination less than buying the pre-formed stuff. Can anyone disabuse me of these notions?

This most recent recall is for beef with a sell-by date of over a month ago. If I freeze ground beef when I buy it, I put a date of freezing on the bag, but I repackage before freezing, so I don't know where I bought the meat. Unless I start listing details of the store and branding in my notes on the freezer bag, all I could do with a recall like this is throw out ANY ground beef in the freezer that I've dated anywhere around the affected dates. I doubt I'm going to do that. Maybe other people are much more diligent, but I really wonder how useful these recalls are.

(This is to say nothing of the fact that I might freeze something like spaghetti sauce I've made that has ground beef in it.)