Washingtonian "Neighborhood Eats" Issue

Michael Landrum

Has anyone been to the restaurant featured on the cover of the new Washingtonian celebrating "neighborhood eats?" I am always seeking out new neighborhood haunts to try and was hoping for some early reports on this one before heading over to try it out.

Just read your quote 30 minutes ago. Saw the cover 15 minutes later. Had a small amount of pee come out 2 seconds after that. Classic! :mellow:

Just read your quote 30 minutes ago. Saw the cover 15 minutes later. Had a small amount of pee come out 2 seconds after that. Classic! :mellow:

It's always so heart-warming when some little-known, warm and cozy mom-and-pop finally gets the attention it deserves. "The Needle" for cutting-edge coverage goes waaaay up on this one. Scorching!

I just wish they used the cover to stir up some new business for a "neighborhood joint" that had maybe fallen off the map a little, you know? Clyde's is doing pretty well, I do believe.

I couldn't've said it better.

My local Arby's hardly ever has anyone in its parking lot.

Boy, what a letdown of a issue. I must say, Washingtonian has no idea what a neighborhood really is. The goblygook of pages that outlined places to go in DC (and the area) left me really cold.
I agree. What a weird issue. It sold itself on being about neighborhoods, but then no neighborhoods were actually mentioned. Seemed to be just a randomly chosen bunch of restaurants that included neither the top nor the bottom of anyone's list. Pointless. I've been considering dropping my subscription, and this might be the kicker.

ETA: Shouldn't this just be included in the regular washingtonian thread? Seems a bit unfair that the advertisements for magazine get their own thread while the complaints are all seperated into various subjects.

I found this response in the chat hilarious:

Cynthia: Our covers need to appeal to readers in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. As a recognizable destination, Clyde's, with its outposts in many neighborhoods, does that in the way that a single obscure restaurant can't. More people can relate to it. And we gave plenty of photo space to more obscure places inside the magazine.

Sara: Plus, Clyde's is a local success story, a hometown chain that has a long history in Washington.

(1)I've lived around here for a while, and I didn't actually recognize which restaurant it was. =D To me it's actually a pretty generic image I could have pulled out of any stock photo gallery.

(2) Roy Rogers is also a local success story with a long history in the area, but I don't see it on the cover.