Let's Meat On The Avenue, Del Ray

monavano

In real life I play the role of a tv producer, and I've been looking for a butcher to come on the program I work on and talk about the various cuts of meat and how best to prepare them.

Does anyone know of a good local butcher who might be willing to make a TV appearance?

While checking out Cheesetique's new shop, I saw that "Let's Meat on the Avenue" has hung it's sign at the old Cheesetique location. A note in the window stated that they are opening soon. I know it's not Chef Armstrongs place, perhaps it's Neighborhood Restaurant Group. Does anyone have the 411 on this place?

While checking out Cheesetique's new shop, I saw that "Let's Meat on the Avenue" has hung it's sign. A note in the window stated that they are opening soon. I know it's not Chef Armstrongs place, perhaps it's Neighborhood Restaurant Group. Does anyone have the 411 on this place?

How do you know it is not Chef Armstrong's? Just askin'.

After hitting the Arlington market on Saturday my wife and I headed to Del Ray to check out Let's Meat on the Avenue. Steve, the owner, was incredibly pleasant, surprising since most butchers I have known are fairly rough and cranky. Almost all of the meat comes from Loudon County the only exception being the chickens. Currently he does not have a lot in his meat case, but I am sure that will change over time. What he did have looked gorgeous, and we decided on two lamb chops and an organic chicken.

One of the issues I have with buying lamb chops is that they are generally unevenly cut, that is not the case here, the chops were perfectly even, and while the lamb could have been trimmed a little tighter(but he is Australian and I understand that they like their lamb fat) the flavor was incredible. As good as the lamb was it paled in comparison to the organic chickens he sold. I wish I would have paid attention to where he got them, but that bird was simply the most delicious piece of fowl I have had in this country. This bird needed no fussing, simply roasting it with a bit of olive oil and salt produced a succulent bird with beautifully crispy skin.

I plan on heading back for more of my carnivore needs, it is great to finally have a truly professional butcher in the area that is not Halal (I like pork). He also does special orders, so if you want a whole boneless leg of lamb or a suckling pig, call them and he will get it for you.

After hitting the Arlington market on Saturday my wife and I headed to Del Ray to check out Let's Meat on the Avenue. Steve, the owner, was incredibly pleasant, surprising since most butchers I have known are fairly rough and cranky. Almost all of the meat comes from Loudon County the only exception being the chickens. Currently he does not have a lot in his meat case, but I am sure that will change over time. What he did have looked gorgeous, and we decided on two lamb chops and an organic chicken.

One of the issues I have with buying lamb chops is that they are generally unevenly cut, that is not the case here, the chops were perfectly even, and while the lamb could have been trimmed a little tighter(but he is Australian and I understand that they like their lamb fat) the flavor was incredible. As good as the lamb was it paled in comparison to the organic chickens he sold. I wish I would have paid attention to where he got them, but that bird was simply the most delicious piece of fowl I have had in this country. This bird needed no fussing, simply roasting it with a bit of olive oil and salt produced a succulent bird with beautifully crispy skin.

I plan on heading back for more of my carnivore needs, it is great to finally have a truly professional butcher in the area that is not Halal (I like pork). He also does special orders, so if you want a whole boneless leg of lamb or a suckling pig, call them and he will get it for you.

I was there over the weekend myself and agree. BTW he said that the meat comes from Fauquier County. I got an "English" roast beef that will be roasted tomorrow night.

I was there over the weekend myself and agree. BTW he said that the meat comes from Fauquier County. I got an "English" roast beef that will be roasted tomorrow night.

Fauquier/Loudon its easy to confuse them since they are so far outside of the beltway they might as well be on Saturn :lol:

I dropped in yesterday after a trip to Cheesetique for the picnic. Interesting little shop. I was curious about the top sirloin steaks he had and he filled me in on how it's called a rump steak elsewhere (the UK, etc.) and makes for some great grilling. This cut usually looks horrible in the supermarket so I've shied away, but it looked tempting here. I'd like to try the amish sausage too.

post-138-1211207452_thumb.jpg

I visited LMOTA a week after it opened-they sold out the first days of opening! Steve Gatward is a very nice gentleman, and welcomes special requests. He's from the UK, so he's getting requests for things like suet for baking etc.

I bought some of the Amish sausage (see my blog for the potato hash breakfast) which was excellent. High in taste, no excessive fat, zero grissle.

They open at 8 on Sat. (as does Cheesetique) to catch the farmer market traffic.

My Tucker was drooling over the smoked dog bones!

I thought that I read on the write-up that was posted in the window prior to its opening that the owner was Australian but learned his craft in the UK, or do I have that backwards and that he moved to Australia after learning his craft in England? I distinctively remember there being a reference to Australia, not that any of this matters since I am quite excited that he is open.

He did tell me that he does not have as much time as he would like to make sausages.

I thought that I read on the write-up that was posted in the window prior to its opening that the owner was Australian but learned his craft in the UK, or do I have that backwards and that he moved to Australia after learning his craft in England? I distinctively remember there being a reference to Australia, not that any of this matters since I am quite excited that he is open.

He did tell me that he does not have as much time as he would like to make sausages.

You're right-Australia, then the UK. Be sure to say hellow to Zena if she's behind the counter.

I dropped in yesterday after a trip to Cheesetique for the picnic. Interesting little shop. I was curious about the top sirloin steaks he had and he filled me in on how it's called a rump steak elsewhere (the UK, etc.) and makes for some great grilling. This cut usually looks horrible in the supermarket so I've shied away, but it looked tempting here. I'd like to try the amish sausage too.

So that's what a top sirloin steak means! Who knew! As a Brit, certainly not me. I've been wondering how to ask for a rump steak - lo! these past 15 years I've lived here! Thank you! BTW, does anyone know any good butchers in NW? The wonderful Pam Ginsberg used to get you anything at Brookville Market on Conn Ave, from rattlesnake - if you had a mind for it - to a whole pig which I once dragged home in a supermarket trolley. Did wonders for sidewalk crowd control. But she moved to Wagshal's in Spring Valley and you have to mortgage your home to shop there. Julia, eatWashington

FYI- most of the meat for LMOTA comes from Fauquier's Finest in Bealton, VA - I know the FF owners if you want the scoop. All VA raised animals, all natural (unless told otherwise), all part of Virginia's Finest "Buy Local" program and all slaughtered on premise.

FYI- most of the meat for LMOTA comes from Fauquier's Finest in Bealton, VA - I know the FF owners if you want the scoop. All VA raised animals, all natural (unless told otherwise), all part of Virginia's Finest "Buy Local" program and all slaughtered on premise.

I'm hoping to get some lamb from Steve on Sat. when I go to the market in Del Ray. FYI also.....for the first time, I bought my dogs some bones. They have smoked bones that are now cut into 2-inch or so pieces (or, you can get them Flintstone sized).

My dogs thought that I was a rock star....for a day.

Enjoyed some lamb merguez sausages on the grill last night. We also bought a piece of fancy-dancy Greg Norman Australian beef (Kobe? Wagyu? I know I should remember but I don't). The meat was very tender, sliced like a hot knife through butter. A simple salt/pepper/garlic/olive oil prep and enough time on the grill for medium-rare produced a very tasty dinner. At about $25/lb - we had a large(r than necessary) meal for two...it was too good to stop and have leftovers.

Chicken breasts and pork chops are on the list for the next visit.

We also got to try an LMOTA bratwurst on Saturday at the Del Ray Music Festival where they were being served along with some other tasty vittles from local restaurants. Brat was quite good, as were the English sausages we had for breakfast on Sunday. The grind was a bit coarser than you might see in a typical 'banger', but the seasoning was spot-on.

Hmm, maybe we need to decrease our meat consumption just a bit!

I'm hoping to get some lamb from Steve on Sat. when I go to the market in Del Ray. FYI also.....for the first time, I bought my dogs some bones. They have smoked bones that are now cut into 2-inch or so pieces (or, you can get them Flintstone sized).

My dogs thought that I was a rock star....for a day.

Steve has had both lamb and pork ribs recently, but was sold out of both by the time we got there last Saturday (mid-day). Definitely get there as close to opening as you can - or call ahead.

Steve has had both lamb and pork ribs recently, but was sold out of both by the time we got there last Saturday (mid-day). Definitely get there as close to opening as you can - or call ahead.
I bought some grass-fed veal short ribs here today. I'm planning a braise of some kind for tomorrow. Somehow, I seem to have been undercharged for them, which I realized once I got home. The price I got charged was the price I saw read out on the scale, but it's not correct based on the listed price per pound :lol:. I also got some Niman lamb chops, which are for tonight.

We recently enjoyed both the baby back and 'meaty' spare ribs from LMOTA. Steve recommended the spare ribs which he said he prefers because of the amount of the meat on them. I liked both, but there is something about baby back ribs...not sure if it's the smaller size or what. Would definitely buy both again. Their boneless chicken breasts are also great to pick up for a quick meal on the grill. New item - whole Ayrshire Farm chickens for about $5/lb. I haven't gotten one yet, but they look great, good sized birds and the skin is clean and white - no nothing injected in these babies.

While checking out Cheesetique's new shop, I saw that "Let's Meat on the Avenue" has hung it's sign at the old Cheesetique location. A note in the window stated that they are opening soon. I know it's not Chef Armstrongs place, perhaps it's Neighborhood Restaurant Group. Does anyone have the 411 on this place?

Let's Meat on the Avenue, the butcher in Del Ray. Worst butcher shop name ever, great owner (Steve) sells mostly local meat, some organic, some simply traditionally raised. Yup, costs a lot, but he wants you to special order, ask questions, have him find things for you. I like knowing where my meat came from, the exact farm. There's a place in Upperville that raises amazing chicken that we buy at Steve's. I could blather on about local food, humane food, and local non-chain businesses, local skilled butchers...you know all that. It's a cost-value trade-off that we decided was worth it. Or maybe I'm a sucker for being greeted by name.

I love this place. I love the fact that he will and can grind the meat you want to your specs in front of you (I have gotten both ground lamb for shepherd's pie as well as ground pork for Laotian sausages) and that he calls them chicken boobies.

He cheerfully takes special orders - heritage turkeys, ducks, duck fat, caul fat, geese, unsmoked marrow bones... just give him a day or so. His shop carries both D'artagnan Duck Bacon, and Trickling Springs Milk (omg, their chocolate milk tastes like a shake) as well as Amish rolls of butter.

So this morning I made waffles and finally made the slices of bacon I got from Let's Meat when they located some lamb neck for me.

Wow.

No, I mean seriously. Wow. Some of the very best bacon I have ever had. I do not know where they source it from, or who makes it, but it is exceptional bacon. If you ever get the chance, get some and try it.