Foggy Bottom Market

Has anyone been to the Foggy Bottom farmers market on Wednesdays, and is it worth checking out?

Usually there's 3-4 places selling fruits and vegetables, one meat vendor (pork, veal, sausage), and a guy selling greens (I haven't looked too closely at what he has). Not close to the variety of the other markets, but last week there was good peaches, corn, tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes, and berries.

Has anyone been to the Foggy Bottom farmers market on Wednesdays, and is it worth checking out?

Yes. It's not big by any means, but it's great for stocking up on fresh greens, corn, fruit or bread. Between Dupont Sunday and either Foggy Bottom Wednesday and USDA Friday, there's always fresh stuff that I'm able to grab these days.

From the FreshFarm email:

Wednesday, April 2: Foggy Bottom FRESHFARM Market reopens for the 2008 season.

Located on I Street, NW (New Hampshire Ave., and 24th St., NW), the market is open from 2:30pm to 7pm. At Market: seasonal fruits and vegetables, goat's milk cheese, yogurt, French pastries and breads, pastured-raised meats and eggs, cut flowers, fruit preserves and so much more!

Nearest metro is Foggy Bottom (Blue/Orange).

From the FreshFarm email:Wednesday, April 2: Foggy Bottom FRESHFARM Market reopens for the 2008 season.

Located on I Street, NW (New Hampshire Ave., and 24th St., NW), the market is open from 2:30pm to 7pm. At Market: seasonal fruits and vegetables, goat's milk cheese, yogurt, French pastries and breads, pastured-raised meats and eggs, cut flowers, fruit preserves and so much more!

Nearest metro is Foggy Bottom (Blue/Orange).

*bump* today--2:30-7pm

It's great to see the news about the market at Olney and to see Mt. Pleasant added to the list. Anyone who misses Reid's at Dupont Circle should go to Mt. Pleasant on Saturday where you'll find the circuit's most savvy marketers when it comes to artful set-ups: Tree & Leaf.

Now, here's the announcement: According to a reliable source, there were STRAWBERRIES at this market yesterday!!!! Folks, the season cometh.

It's great to see the news about the market at Olney and to see Mt. Pleasant added to the list. Anyone who misses Reid's at Dupont Circle should go to Mt. Pleasant on Saturday where you'll find the circuit's most savvy marketers when it comes to artful set-ups: Tree & Leaf.

Now, here's the announcement: According to a reliable source, there were STRAWBERRIES at this market yesterday!!!! Folks, the season cometh.

And we also have Reid at little Bloomingdale on Sunday as well. First and R Streets NW

Dean Gold (of Dino in Cleveland Park as opposed to the other one) will be starring in the Chef at Market event tomorrow, June 10. Don't know what he's cooking, but he's on the calendar for a demonstration at 4:00 to 5:00 PM.

Here's a link to the web site's list of participants, location (behind eponymous Metro stop), and hours (2:30 to 7 PM)

I'd like to report on my visit to the Foggy Bottom market earlier today. It was the second time I've been there. It's a very small market, with a few fresh fruit & veggie vendors, two bakeries (Atwater's and Bonaparte Breads), and some other food vendors like Cavanna's which makes and sells pasta.

Today I bought my favorite kalamata olive bread in the whole world, which is made by Atwater's (to say that I was psyched to find it again is a understatement!). Unlike others (Whole Paycheck and Marvelous Market), Atwater's uses whole olives in its olive bread. I swear, you need a microscope to find the olives in Whole Foods' version and Marvelous Market has significantly reduced the size and number of olive pieces it puts in its bread. So, Atwater's bread is fabulous. I understand that they sell at a number of local farmers markets (including the Dupont Market). Besides the bread, I also picked up some giant honeycrisp apples--very crispy and honey-ish (Quaker Orchards). There were lots of apples to taste, but the honeycrisp were the best by far. Tasted a few pears too (red and Bartlet), but wasn't impressed. Last but not least, I also bought some spicy salsa from Sunnyside Farm & Orchard (West Va.) and a couple of OK tomatoes and red bell peppers.

On a previous visit, I bought some gnocchi from Cavanna's, and it was delicious. All in all, this is a great little market. It's not too crowded, as friendly vendors, and you can shop at a leisurely pace and taste a lot of good fruit.

I got there around 6pm this evening--too late for my favorite kalamata olive bread from Atwater's! :( But I was in time to taste some a-mazing apples from Sunnyside Farm & Orchard (West Va.). And it is true that you learn something new everyday. I tried a Nittany apple for the first time. It was sweet and firm (not as crisp as a honey crisp) and is also good for baking. What I guessed (correctly) is that it was developed at Penn State University. Very yummy apple. I also bought some pink lady apples and a fuji apple too. Sunnyside's honey crisps weren't as good as the ones I bought last time from Quaker Orchards. I went by Quaker Orchard's booth, but didn't get any honey crisps as they were GIGANTIC (larger and heavier than baseballs) and I can only eat so many apples...I took a look at the pears (bosc and bartlet), but was indecisive. I could use a pear advisor. :P Quaker Orchards had several varieties of apple butter and also honey crisp apple sauce. I bought a jar of sugar-free apple butter for a friend who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He claims that almost all sugar-free desserts are bad. I hope he likes the apple butter. (I'm not going to tell him about Copper Pot Kettle Company's peach & prossecco jam and all the other sweet stuff I'm buying and eating these days...)

What I guessed (correctly) is that it was developed at Penn State University.

Nittany Lion ftw, right? I'll have to seek those out at some point.

That's right. And it's worth checking out. Although the Foggy Bottom FM is a really small market, what I like is that it's never that crowded and you get a chance to taste a lot of different kinds of fruit. Sunnyside farm had at least 8 or 9 different kinds of apples available for tasting.

That's right. And it's worth checking out. Although the Foggy Bottom FM is a really small market, what I like is that it's never that crowded and you get a chance to taste a lot of different kinds of fruit. Sunnyside farm had at least 8 or 9 different kinds of apples available for tasting.

FB is my metro stop to get to work. Except I work from home on Wednesdays. Oh, the pain...

Can anyone tell me if there is a meat vendor at the market these days and if so, their name? I checked the fresh farm site and it doesn't appear that there is, but wanted to check.

From web site:
Farmers/Producers

Atwater's Bakery, Blueberry Hill, Bonaparte Breads, Cavanna Pasta (NEW!), Chris' Marketplace, Gunpowder Bison (NEW!), Haskins Family Farm (NEW!), Lynnvale Flowers, Quaker Valley F&O, Sunnyside F&O

It requires one extra step, but after you read this list go to the Home page again and look at "Meet our growers and producers" to learn more about unfamiliar names. Two of the newbies sell meat: bison lots of different ways and at Haskins, poultry, eggs and ham. (You had to pre-order turkeys if that's what you're after, but you could try to find a web site and number to call.) Cavanna's stuffed pasta often includes meat. Chris sells meat-stuffed empanadas in addition to his crab cakes, etc.

Can anyone tell me if there is a meat vendor at the market these days and if so, their name? I checked the fresh farm site and it doesn't appear that there is, but wanted to check.

Depends on if you want Bison meat. There's a vendor that sells bison jerky and bison steaks - forgot what the name was.