Food on Radio and Internet

monavano

Montgomery County citizens take notice - the county public library system subscribes to MyLibraryDB, an internet video-on-demand service whose offerings include dozens of episodes of America's Test Kitchen, Michael Chiarello's Napa, and best of all, Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home. No cost to view, with a MCPL library card.

On the downside, the connection manager is only supported in Windows XP and 2000. Not much chance of Mac support - the system uses Windows Media Player's Digital Rights Management.

I've been listening to Lynn Rossetto Kasper's show "The Splendid Table" on WAMU (88.5) on Saturdays at 2, whenever I can.

http://www.splendidtable.com

Another great show is Evan Kleiman's "Good Food" on KCRW in Santa Monica. If you listen online, you can scroll to the stories that interest you, and skip the local farmers' market reports, which will make you gnash your teeth with envy.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/gf

Anyone who listens to WAMU in the morning has already heard that Lynne Rossetto Kasper will be in town later this spring on a book tour related to her radio show. Check out the link that Zora provides above for more details and the dinner to be held in this area.

Closer to the date, someone should post a reminder in the forum for farmers markets, but heads up:

The wonderful author and radio host will also appear at the Dupont Circle Market on Sunday, May 4, from 11 to 1!!!

Bump up again since the date is approaching as Zora reminds us in the Farmers' Market forum.

N.B. Lynne Rossetto Kasper is a pioneer both in nudging us over here in the U.S. into the realization that Itailan food differs from region to region and in the publishing world, by offering a model in well-researched, English-language cookbooks that offer an introduction to one particular region's cooking.

The Splendid Table features the cooking of Emilia-Romagna, a part of Italy that includes Bologna, Modena and Parma. Lasagna. Parmigiano Reggiano. Tortellini. Cream glorious cream...

Not food on the radio, but wine on the radio. Dick Rosano was just on "Metro Connection" on WAMU, recommending the wine program at Galileo, especially for Italian wines. I don't think it was a rerun, but I could of course be wrong.

Not a rerun

Thanksgiving at the White House. They had me at cheddar cheese ring.

Listen as no gift of phonetic story-writing can substitute Roland Mesnier’s archetypal French chef’s accent.

After listening for YEARS to Stamberg's recipe, I finally made it myself. Never again. Just awful. I remember my Mother carefully cutting off both ends of the can of cranberry sauce (so you can see the outlines of the can :unsure: ) and lovingly serving it on a silver plate so that it could be properly sliced. Then, I talked her into just making a simple recipe using fresh cranberries and some other ingredients and putting it in a mold she already had. Even she had to admit that it was so simple, so convenient (since you could make this days in advance), and magnitudes better than anything from a can. Sorry Susan, but your Mama's relish is not fit for human consumption. There it is.

After listening for YEARS to Stamberg's recipe, I finally made it myself. Never again. Just awful.

Oh, my co-cook and good friend insisted on doing that 2 years ago.

It was indeed awful.

One person loved it. He got a LOT of leftovers.

Oh, my co-cook and good friend insisted on doing that 2 years ago.

It was indeed awful.

One person loved it. He got a LOT of leftovers.

My father insisted on making it years ago as well. We all tasted it and then bee-lined for the canned stuff. And all this time I thought he must've messed up something in the recipe!

(although I do recall that HE liked it)