Where can I get a great oyster po-boy?

If you hurry and are in the area they are on the menu at Breadline today! I believe they're a Thursday staple until the soft shells start coming in. I've also enjoyed the version at Hank's, but have heard dissenting opinions from others. I'm not much of a traditionalist when it comes to fried seafood sandwiches as long as it tastes good.

If you hurry and are in the area they are on the menu at Breadline today! I believe they're a Thursday staple until the soft shells start coming in. I've also enjoyed the version at Hank's, but have heard dissenting opinions from others. I'm not much of a traditionalist when it comes to fried seafood sandwiches as long as it tastes good.

My office is next door and I have had their po-boys. They are tasty, but their version does not quench the po-boy fire. I lived in New Orleans during my college days and there is no substitute for the real deal. I like that acadiana has the zapps, thats cool. Add an abita beer and it could work.

My office is next door and I have had their po-boys. They are tasty, but their version does not quench the po-boy fire. I lived in New Orleans during my college days and there is no substitute for the real deal. I like that acadiana has the zapps, thats cool. Add an abita beer and it could work.

Acadiana had a few different Abita beers last time I was there.

I grew up in New Orleans and I think Acadiana's version (along with the Zapps chips) is pretty good. It's not the same as getting a steaming hot loaf from some joint with peeling paint and ice cold long necks, but I do think it is authentic.

If you can get a decent loaf of bread, one option is to get the fried oyster dinner from one of the places at the Maine Avenue fish market, and put those oysters on your own lightly toasted, buttered loaf. It's easier for me because I live in SW. I don't know if reheating the oysters would succeed.

Does anyone know if Bardia's New Orleans cafe, in Adams Morgan, does a good po boy?

I know this isn't going to be much help (other than for possible reference). But several years we had a most perfect shrimp po-boy in Baton Rouge. A ten out out of a ten. It was in an older place downtown, near the railroad station (now art museum), and the old capitol buidling (quite nice we must say). Anyway, the annual food review came out later that weekend in the local Baton Rouge paper ... this place not only didn't make the top five, it didn't make the two honorable mentions either. Goodness what a tough crowd!

Southside 815 is ok (it's near here), as long as you toss the bread, and get some Zat's mustard. Other than that, instead of Winsor McCay's Dream of the Rarebit Fiend, we can always dream on for the real thing arounf here.

Robert Clair

Alexandria, VA 22308

Went to 815Southside (hope I got the name right) in alexandira. I had the oyster, the wife had shrimp. Both came with nothing on it but they gave you condiments on the side. Both were very respectable po boys. Bread was good and the oyster and shrimp were fried well and a decent amount placed on the sandwich. The sides were good as well. The fried pickles were excellent. We will return.

I grew up in New Orleans and I think Acadiana's version (along with the Zapps chips) is pretty good. It's not the same as getting a steaming hot loaf from some joint with peeling paint and ice cold long necks, but I do think it is authentic.

I second that. I thought Acadiana's were great--as was just about everything I had there, but it sure is hard to get the same experience without feeling the building you're in should be condemned. I always like Domilise's in New Orleans.

27 minutes ago, Pool Boy said:

Gulf Coast Kitchen, in Bethesda (now Black's) used to make some very respectable poboys. Anyone, and I mean anyone, make a respectable poboy locally? I gots ta know.

The last good local po boy I had was at Bayou in West End (the catfish; not the oysters).

11 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

Gulf Coast Kitchen, in Bethesda (now Black's) used to make some very respectable poboys. Anyone, and I mean anyone, make a respectable poboy locally? I gots ta know.

I used to enjoy the shrimp po' boy at Johnny's on North Capitol. Pricey, but Leidenheimer bread and the shrimp was always well cooked. Good remoulade. Bit of an elegant version. It's on the brunch menu at the new (old) location in Adams Morgan, have not tried it there though. 

http://johnnyshalfshell.net/menu/brunch-menu/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

Thanks for the tips! When is Addie's 'returning soon'?

This summer according to Washingtonian. The Black restaurants website has a page up for it already. Will be in Park Potomac. 

• Like 1