Palisades Farmers Market

According to Joey Zumpano, General Manager of BlackSalt Restaurant, starting in early June, Tuscarora Co-op is organizing a new farmers' market for the Palisades neighborhood. 48th Street, which runs between the Safeway Market and Addy Bassin's MacArthur Beverages, will be closed to traffic for the market on Sunday mornings. BlackSalt will be opening their new patio dining area in front of the fish market/restaurant to coincide with the opening of the farmers market.

I wouldn't worry too much. Most people don't realize this, but the produce at the New Morning Farmer's market at Alton street on Saturday, and now the market in Palisades sells produce from all of the farms involved in the Tuscarora Co-op. Those who frequent both markets know that the variety is usually greater on Saturday at the Sheridan School than on Sunday at Dupont. The New Morning Farm stand at Dupont only sells produce from their farm. So I wouldn't worry, Moie and her crew should be there on Sunday at Dupont.

It will be interesting to see who runs the Palisades market and how it effects the Saturday market.

It will be interesting to see who runs the Palisades market and how it effects the Saturday market.

I missed the first two Sundays of this market, due to travel schedules. I did make it over there at opening time this morning, after arriving home at 5:30 a.m. on a sleepless red-eye from Los Angeles. I was too tired to go to Dupont Circle, but the refrigerator is depleted, so I thought I'd pick up a few things before I headed for the sack.

What was there: someone selling herb and tomato plants; two different stands selling berries and cherries and preserves; one stand with a variety of vegetables--summer squashes, cucumbers, hothouse tomatoes and peppers, corn, potatoes, cauliflower. A truncated Bonaparte Bakery selection. I was too wiped out to get the names of the farms or talk to the market manager, that information will have to be gathered in coming weeks. Too many things that I depend on finding at the Dupont Market were missing--eggs, meat, salad greens, among others-- for me to consider switching to this new Sunday market even though it is walking distance from my house. It is to be hoped that there will be enough support in the neighborhood to allow it to grow.

From today's Free Range discussion:

Palisades: Blacksalt has started doing cooking demos at the Palisades Farm Market using produce from the market and from their fish market. New this year, our Market is on Sunday morning. This past Sunday they did a marvelous apple/basil/honey salad that they served over small slices of salmon.

Since I can't afford to eat there as often as I would like, maybe I'll learn to cook like them. The market is at 48th Place and MacArthur Blvd - right next to Blacksalt.

Jane Black: Sounds great. Report back

/big ole bump/

I checked out the Palisades market this morning. It's located on the street in between Black Salt and the Safeway. My draw was knowing the Jamie would be there with his Stachowski Brand charcuterie.

The market is small, about 8 or so stands, with only one selling vegetables today. Bonaparte and Firefly were there with their baked goods and cheeses respectively, along with a coffee stand, another baker/soup maker, a meat stand (whose name I can't remember), a pickle guy (wonder if it's the same guy at Eastern Market), and a waffle maker. The waffles, $4 a piece or 3 for $10, are warm and wonderful. Worth the trip alone. Jamie had his usual range of products, keilbasa, merguez, other sausages, venison pate and salami, head cheese pate, and duck confit. It was a little strange to make a purchase that wasn't out of the back of his car but great to see his stall busy.

I would have liked more than one produce stand, but given that it's the middle of January it's understandable that there isn't more. It's worth the trip just for Jamie's meats, the waffles, and no lines at Bonaparte and Firefly.

/big ole bump/

I checked out the Palisades market this morning. It's located on the street in between Black Salt and the Safeway. My draw was knowing the Jamie would be there with his Stachowski Brand charcuterie.

The market is small, about 8 or so stands, with only one selling vegetables today. Bonaparte and Firefly were there with their baked goods and cheeses respectively, along with a coffee stand, another baker/soup maker, a meat stand (whose name I can't remember), a pickle guy (wonder if it's the same guy at Eastern Market), and a waffle maker. The waffles, $4 a piece or 3 for $10, are warm and wonderful. Worth the trip alone. Jamie had his usual range of products, keilbasa, merguez, other sausages, venison pate and salami, head cheese pate, and duck confit. It was a little strange to make a purchase that wasn't out of the back of his car but great to see his stall busy.

I would have liked more than one produce stand, but given that it's the middle of January it's understandable that there isn't more. It's worth the trip just for Jamie's meats, the waffles, and no lines at Bonaparte and Firefly.

the meat truck is from Smith Meadows-- the same folks who sell meat and pasta at Dupont.

It's worth the trip just for Jamie's meats, the waffles, and no lines at Bonaparte and Firefly.

Stop by on the way to Blacksalt for RW lunch and got drawn in by Jamie's meats. WoW-zer! Mom got hooked on this Portuguese sausage that had a nice kick to it. A "loop" was $8. Did not see any of the aforementioned Firefly or waffle maker, but certainly agree with hillvalley's statement for the meats x oh, a LOT.

Also really liked the white peaches and prune-plums (president). Am just not used the $3.00 per pound part of things.

yeah -- had no idea Jamie was there. Was in a hurry and just picked up some merguez. I think he's perfected the recipe. Not for the timid, but not intimidating.

And, is there any better fast midweek meal? Merguez and a box of couscous? And, some other shit, but it's a steak-and-and-potatoes, pork-and-beans winner combo.

In order to avoid being voted off the Island, let me weigh in to say the Palisades Farmers Market is a jewel. Not very big by Dupont Circle standards, but the Belgian waffles, home grown flowers, tasty goat cheeses, Jamie the Sausage Man and the pickled beets, among other treats, make it well worth the trip. Full disclosure: I live four blocks away, but I still think this is one of the best markets in the metropolitan area.

OK, Don, how am I doing?

C