Gadsby's Tavern, Old Town

Here's one you probably didn't think that you would hear-but I had a nice lunch with my mom at Gadsby's Tavern. I had never eaten there in all these years but she really wanted to go for the Colonial-era atmosphere. Plus, so many of her senior citizen friends have taken bus trips down to Old Town (from Philly) and ate there-now she can say she has too!

We both had a half sandwich (mine was a perfectlty fine and non-offensive chicken salad on Sally Lunn bread) and French onion soup. Both came with kettle fries and a thick slice of dill pickle. $8.

It was pleasant enough, except the "free credit report.com" jingle kept running through my head.

Here's one you probably didn't think that you would hear-but I had a nice lunch with my mom at Gadsby's Tavern.

That's funny that you mention going with your mom. My husband and I went there for dinner about a year and a half ago, and my husband said that we should take HIS mom there the next time she's in town because she'd get a kick out of the historic theme. Did they have the historic era guy walking around at lunch? When we were there for dinner, he told a story and went from table to table chatting with diners while in character.

Did they have the historic era guy walking around at lunch? When we were there for dinner, he told a story and went from table to table chatting with diners while in character.
The historic character guy drove my mom nuts when we ate there. She thought he was entirely too intrusive and full of himself and she wanted just to spend time with the family. We have visited a lot of historic replica eateries from Philly to Williamsburg and this is the only one where the historic guy insists on entertaining you whether you want him to or not, kind of like the cliche Mariachi players at a Mexican joint or the cliche O Solo Mio guys at a spaghetti joint. She did like the peanut soup.

I can't even remember the menu, as my mom's discomfort cast a pall on the meal.

Our favorite historic replica eatery is the City Tavern in Philadelphia. No entertainment that I can recall, just good food and lots of Madeira. Michie's Tavern in Charlottesville is cool, too.

One does these things when rearing young, hoping a little culcha will rub off.

I used to love the Sally Lunn bread back when I spent my time waiting tables in long skirts and frilly shirts.

The Sally Lunn bread is still very nice. My chicken salad sandwich came with SL bread and I enjoyed its sweetness. Plus, I at a bit out of the bread basket ;)