Asparagus

Didn't compare with anything freshly picked in France or England. Also, it didn't leave that amazing stench when you pee. Is somebody tinkering with asparagus to remove that smell and along with it removing the flavor?

No. Doubt it's a matter of terroir or that blessed plot, that earth, that realm vs. this.

Cf. what's been written in the W Post and said in topic on Mid Spring in this forum, though I have to say that I've consumed at least 4-5 bundles of purple asparagus, and fat, thin and in-between green asparagus w purple tips over the course of this year's season, coming from PA, VA & MD. All very flavorful, interacting with all relevant bodily systems in usual fashion. Course I've been fixated on roasting and sautéing my stalks in olive oil and the fat of salt-cured pork which intensifies what might otherwise prove subtle especially if hay fever's involved.

No really-there is only a week or two left depending on the farm and when they first harvested.

considering i'm still eating them, i'd say it's been a long season for asparagus. five or six weeks, if i'm not wrong. the hot weather usually rolls in a couple weeks earlier. i've seen peas stay longer as well. it's the cherries i'm always worried about disappearing.

considering i'm still eating them, i'd say it's been a long season for asparagus. five or six weeks, if i'm not wrong. the hot weather usually rolls in a couple weeks earlier. i've seen peas stay longer as well. it's the cherries i'm always worried about disappearing.

And rightly because a lot of farmers had a freeze when the blossoms came out. So, we may be short of cherries at many stands.

Has this been an unusually long asparagus season? It sure seems that way to me.

Farmers choose when to stop cutting the asparagus, based on what they think is best for the health and harvestability of the plants next season.

That is usually some time mid-June. This year, given the summer-like weather we had in March and the yo-yo effect of winter-like weather (freezes) followed by more unseasonal heat, the asparagus might have arrived earlier than usual and kept going and going.

(Please note there's an established topic on what's around in Late Spring. :lol: )

Farmers choose when to stop cutting the asparagus, based on what they think is best for the health and harvestability of the plants next season.

That is usually some time mid-June. This year, given the summer-like weather we had in March and the yo-yo effect of winter-like weather (freezes) followed by more unseasonal heat, the asparagus might have arrived earlier than usual and kept going and going.

(Please note there's an established topic on what's around in Late Spring. :lol: )

The asparagus has been delightful this year. I think my favorite dish with it was papardelle with asparagus, morels, white wine, cream and goat ricotta. Is it me or has this Spring been kickass?!!