Iron Chef Japan Is Back!

JPW

paging doctor shogun...paging doctor shogun...
I have a ton, but it's only a fraction of what they released in the US, which in turn is only like half of what they had in Japan that they didn't license for the US market.

I have a ton, but it's only a fraction of what they released in the US, which in turn is only like half of what they had in Japan that they didn't license for the US market.

Yeah, I think I saw only a handful of battles involving Nakamura and Ishinabe when it was aired on the Food Network.

And I dunno if FLN had licensing issues with using the Backdraft soundtrack but ZOMG the new background music during the intros is made of fail. It's as if someone took Yanni and John Tesh albums and created a hideous spawn.

If there's one thing I couldn't stand about the FN version, it was the dubbing, which IMHO undermined the atmosphere of the original show and particularly the seriousness of the competition.

When Iron Chef first hit these shores in the late '90s, it was brought in by a handful of PBS stations on the west coast and subtitled with the Japanese audio left intact. I have a dozen or so of those that my sister taped for me and mailed back east; we've transferred them to digital and I'll bring a laptop the DR spring picnic so folks can judge for themselves.