Fritz Hahn on John Wabeck

Mrs. B

"The bar is sunny and pleasant, with a huge picture window looking out onto the street, and with only 10 high-backed stools at the polished wooden counter, it's intimate, especially when diners are waiting for tables on weekends."

The Fever-Tree and gin mix, Wabeck says, is close to gin-and-tonic nirvana. "If anyone asks, 'Why a bar full of gin?,' it's like, 'Did you ever taste this?'

I've had this at New Heights and it was one of the most perfect mixed drinks I've ever had.

I also got to chat with Fritz a couple of weeks ago, and he is the real deal. If you think being a "Going-Out Guru" sounds like empty partying, talk with him sometime and you'll change your mind very quickly. There was a serious assemblage of beer knowledge that night at Bar Pilar - I felt like a spectator watching the Dream Team. (I know enough to know how much I don't know.)

If everyone goes to their local bottle shop/boozer and politely asks for some genever, any genever, perhaps one day the fine liquor distributor types will realize that this underrepresented style of gin (by underrepresented I mean not at all) could mean caish.

23 gins and counting, not one genever. That's a problem.

23 gins and counting, not one genever. That's a problem.

Not even Bols? That should be fairly easy to find. Otherwise you are right they are hard to find, I am up to 27 in my collection and have only 3 real Genever (Bols, Zuidam Genever, and Boomsma) all but the Bols were procured from outside of the area.

Not even Bols? That should be fairly easy to find. Otherwise you are right they are hard to find, I am up to 27 in my collection and have only 3 real Genever (Bols, Zuidam Genever, and Boomsma) all but the Bols were procured from outside of the area.

Entry level Bols is not so good. I don't think it's available, but it's like tracking down Black Label Beer.

Zuidam Genever will be here soon, Boomsra is surprisingly not in the area (it's all over NYC and not bad, both the jonge and oude). Bols Corenwyn is great...again, no place I know of in the country sells it. I have 1 ounce of it left at home. Then there is Genevieve, technically not Genever but the lads at Junipero do a great job with it. Shockingly not sold outside of California that I know of.

Boomsra is surprisingly not in the area (it's all over NYC and not bad, both the jonge and oude). Bols Corenwyn is great.

This sounds like I'm reading Dune.

(The most interminable, boring book I've ever read by the way, followed closely by The Age Of Innocence (*), The Prince, The Turn Of The Screw, and Gulliver's Travels.)

* I've been trying to finish this for a year. Less than 20 pages to go, and I'm desperately hoping for an explosion, sex scene, decapitation, or ANYTHING other than the author finishing the book by detailing the gilded, silken brocade on the draperies surrounding the lattice arrangement of hibiscus and daffodils. GET ME OUT OF THIS FUCKING BOOK.

Entry level Bols is not so good. I don't think it's available, but it's like tracking down Black Label Beer.

That is really kind of funny because it is the only one of my gins that I have not tried, maybe it is the bottle that sort of creeps me out, I have no idea why I bought it. But it was available at the Virginia ABC.

Then there is Genevieve, technically not Genever but the lads at Junipero do a great job with it. Shockingly not sold outside of California that I know of.

I had to get mine via mail order, along with the Zuidam Genever, and Boomsra. I would think that DC would be a better gin city than it is, maybe your hard work will turn it all around.

My latest score is Berry's Best from Berry Bros & Rudd, it is a really smooth, and botanical London Dry Gin, makes one of the best G&T's I have ever had.

This sounds like I'm reading Dune.

(The most interminable, boring book I've ever read by the way, followed closely by The Age Of Innocence (*), The Prince, The Turn Of The Screw, and Gulliver's Travels.)

* I've been trying to finish this for a year. Less than 20 pages to go, and I'm desperately hoping for an explosion, sex scene, decapitation, or ANYTHING other than the author finishing the book by detailing the gilded, silken brocade on the draperies surrounding the lattice arrangement of hibiscus and daffodils. GET ME OUT OF THIS FUCKING BOOK.

Christ, it's only 180 pages long....

It ends on a note of melancholy and longing.