Esquire Rates Bars

Sthitch

Their #1 for Washington State, Zig Zag in Seattle, was right on, though.

ETA: It wasn't # 1 on their list, just listed first. Oh well. At least the top honors go to my hometown, that salty old broad who cleans up well.

This list is pretty pathetic, and the lack of criteria does not help their cause. As for local entries, does anyone really consider The Hawk and Dove and Tune Inn to be the best DC has to offer, and the only one in Virginia is a place called the Coffee Pot and in Roanoke of all places?
You'd think a truly intrepid and devoted reporter would really get into doing the research necessary to do a good reporting job. :lol:

This list is pretty pathetic, and the lack of criteria does not help their cause. As for local entries, does anyone really consider The Hawk and Dove and Tune Inn to be the best DC has to offer, and the only one in Virginia is a place called the Coffee Pot and in Roanoke of all places?
The main page that list is linked to indicates that their primary criterion is that the bar be the best of its type. Why 2 dive bars would be the best representatives of DC, I don't know, unless the Hawk is supposed to be a "pub" or something.

This is what they say on the main page

You know a great bar when you're in one.

If it's a dive, it's Christ-this-place-is-a-dive dive. If it's an Irish pub, it's not an "Irish" pub. If it's a cocktail lounge, it's got some Tanqueray Ten and a bottle of good rye somewhere. This site is about those places.

http://www.esquire.com/bestbars/

Pat,

Then why do they also include Pegu and Flatiron Lounge in New York? Neither fit that description which I would also say is not really what I would describe as criteria especially if you are assigning scores.

Both Hill bars in the DC section...tells you about their readership I guess...Gah, I haven't been to the Tune Inn since the first Bush Administration. Reckon it remains the same...

I'm sure it is. Well, except GHWB's son isn't passed out in the can.

Pat,

Then why do they also include Pegu and Flatiron Lounge in New York? Neither fit that description which I would also say is not really what I would describe as criteria especially if you are assigning scores.

I have no idea :lol:. It looked like they were rating bars as the best of their type. What's a great bar? "I know it when I see it." That's seems to be how they're doing it. Those aren't what I would consider objective criteria, but perhaps they are somehow satisfying their readership nonetheless.

I don't know how to reconcile a list with both the Polo Lounge in L.A. and the Tune Inn on it.

Good call on Chapultepec and Cruise Room in Denver. They are great places, which makes me scratch my head even more about the DC choices. Not that I don't love them but honestly great seems to be a very elastic description in that article. :lol: Those Denver places are total apples to the DC oranges.

Perhaps this review should be interpreted more as a cool places to visit list rather than best bar. :lol:

Perhaps this review should be interpreted more as a cool places to visit list rather than best bar. :lol:

I think that is a good way of looking at it.

I often bemoan the lack of decent bars in D.C., but it seems that they didn't really even try here. No PX? No Dan's Cafe?