Mole

Mrs. B

We found ourselves in Riverdale this weekend and scored two delicious pints of fresh mole from a small market painted in the colors of the Mexican flag. I need inspiration for use besides spooning it straight into my mouth (which I've been doing all morning :lol: ). I don't particularly care for turkey but am open to all other preps.

We found ourselves in Riverdale this weekend and scored two delicious pints of fresh mole from a small market painted in the colors of the Mexican flag. I need inspiration for use besides spooning it straight into my mouth (which I've been doing all morning :lol: ). I don't particularly care for turkey but am open to all other preps.

Mole rojo? Mole negro? Mole verde? Is it a stiff paste or a soupy sauce?

If it is paste, mix with some tomato sauce and chicken broth until it is a saucy consistency and simmer for a while. If already sauce, the simplest thing to do is make enchiladas: shred some warm chicken, mix in some warmed sauce and roll in a soft-fried or sauce-dipped corn tortilla. Heat briefly in hot oven or microwave, pour sauce over and sprinkle with queso blanco, queso fresco or jack cheese and some fresh chopped cilantro.

Mole verde is really good with fish or shrimp, cheese or chicken enchiladas, duck. For mole rojo or negro see above, and also good with pork or goat.

Mole rojo? Mole negro? Mole verde? Is it a stiff paste or a soupy sauce?

If it is paste, mix with some tomato sauce and chicken broth until it is a saucy consistency and simmer for a while. If already sauce, the simplest thing to do is make enchiladas: shred some warm chicken, mix in some warmed sauce and roll in a soft-fried or sauce-dipped corn tortilla. Heat briefly in hot oven or microwave, pour sauce over and sprinkle with queso blanco, queso fresco or jack cheese and some fresh chopped cilantro.

Mole verde is really good with fish or shrimp, cheese or chicken enchiladas, duck. For mole rojo or negro see above, and also good with pork or goat.

Thanks for the suggestions Zora, I meant to edit my post earlier but was caught up with other stuff. It is mole negro paste. You think this would best be suited to an enchilada with chicken type prep? I was considering whipping some into some base or another to create a dip for a shrimp (peel yourself type) appetizer. I think it might be a little overpowering but my tastebuds are a bit fried from the aforementioned spoon dipping.

Thanks for the suggestions Zora, I meant to edit my post earlier but was caught up with other stuff. It is mole negro paste. You think this would best be suited to an enchilada with chicken type prep? I was considering whipping some into some base or another to create a dip for a shrimp (peel yourself type) appetizer. I think it might be a little overpowering but my tastebuds are a bit fried from the aforementioned spoon dipping.

I have also had very delicious enchiladas with shrimp and mole negro (also called mole poblano). The shrimp have to be very flavorful, or the mole sauce will overpower them. If you are asking about traditional applications, generally mole is a sauce for tamales and enchiladas (big enchiladas are called empanadas in Oaxaca), or it is the basis of a stew of meat or poultry.

Important--I heard this from the mouth of Diana Kennedy herself, when she was here in town on a book tour: Mole paste must be combined with tomato--which is left out of the paste to prevent spoilage--she recommended tomato sauce or puree-- and with chicken broth to reconstitute it to an authentic state. I had only been using chicken broth, before I heard that, and was wondering why it didn't taste as good as moles I'd had before.

As far as creative applications go--sky's the limit. Let us know how your experiments turn out.

Cook up some assorted chicken parts and finish them off in a skillet with the mole. You just reminded me of the assorted moles I brought back from Mexico City recently and have packed up in my vacuum-containers. My simple mushroom sauté to go with the pork tenderloins tonight may have to be re-thunk.