Absinthe Supplies

Ok, so here's the deal, the first person who can give me a source for these things in D.C will get a couple of belts out of a conveniently located absinthe dripper up on the Hill. I can find them in New Orleans, but they can't sell me enough to make it worth my while, though I did order a bunch of them today (it will be a month before I can get them).

Is there any decent place selling absinthe supplies in the DC area that sells something like these:

http://www.absinthiana.com/absinthe/produc...nthe-Sugar.html

Or, failing that, anyone know who sells these (same thing, just not wrapped and swell)

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=4825

I can't find the domino stuff anywhere, which is funny because I'm in NOLA and you guys are in DC and the Domino plants are IN NOLA and Baltimore. It doesn't look like it would be such a long row to hoe.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brooks

Okay this is pretty funny. I am on hold with Harris Teeter to see if they have the tablets and the hold song isThis! :lol:

Really no kidding!

Sorry no tablets. But you probably already knew that.

ETA: No tablets at Balducci's either - hold music there click. Hope this doesn't hit close to home. :lol:

I'd suggest outside of the city proper. Most places in DC are just too small to have the variety that a larger more suburban place is going to have. Back at home where our grocery stores are enormous I can get a more larger variety of stuff. So try to think of the place that has all the ten million varieties of Snapple. My other thought would be Rodman's for some reason. They just seem weird in that way. I would also ask for "sugar cubes" not wafers. But I guess the wafers/tablets are flatter?

I'd suggest outside of the city proper. Most places in DC are just too small to have the variety that a larger more suburban place is going to have. Back at home where our grocery stores are enormous I can get a more larger variety of stuff. So try to think of the place that has all the ten million varieties of Snapple. My other thought would be Rodman's for some reason. They just seem weird in that way. I would also ask for "sugar cubes" not wafers. But I guess the wafers/tablets are flatter?

From the Domino website:

Q. What is the difference between Domino® Dots® Sugar Cubes and Domino® Hostess Crystal Tablets?

A. Hostess Tablets are a full serving size, while Dots® are a half-teaspoon size.

Also, a quick google search shows the tablets being sold at a Glatt Kosher website. I'd give Koshermart in Rockville MD, or Shalom Kosher Mart or Shaul's in Wheaton a call, in addition to trying Rodmans. a few phone numbers

From the Domino website:

Also, a quick google search shows the tablets being sold at a Glatt Kosher website. I'd give Koshermart in Rockville MD, or Shalom Kosher Mart or Shaul's in Wheaton a call, in addition to trying Rodmans. a few phone numbers

Thanks for the help, all. The deal with the tablets is that they are rectangular and are a bit easier to keep on the spoon and pour over. I'll give The Kosher Mart a call. Oy, this is alot of work just to catch a proper buzz. :lol:

From the Domino website:

Kosher Mart had them. It was a pretty funny phone call. I don't imagine they get many callers with an accent much like mine.

Ring, ring, ring...

"Kosher Mart. How can I help you?"

"Hi, I was wondering if you had Domino Sugar Tablets? Those kind of rectangular sugar cubes that are kinda big?"

"Of course we have them! We've always had them! You want I should go look to make sure we have them in stock?"

"That would be great!"

Moments later....

"Hello? You still there?"

"Yes"

"Ok, we have lots of them. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure. What would you like to know?"

"Are you buying these for one of those absinthe machines?"

"I take it I'm not the only one who has ever called you?"

"Before the absinthe calls started, I only sold that sugar every once in a while to nice old ladies who have used sugar cubes, out of habit, since they were little girls. Now, today, it's fellows like you. Either way, it's ok. A sales a sale!"

"Thanks for the help. I'll be out there on Friday afternoon to get them if I don't send someone by first. I really appreciate the help."

"You're welcome. Oh, one more thing, where are you from?"

"North Louisiana is where I grew up, but I have lived in New Orleans for years."

"The Delta?"

"Yessir"

"I though so. Your manners. It must be in the water. Who knows?."

"Thanks again for the help."

"Don't drink absinthe and drive. Or maybe even walk!"

"Good Advice, thanks. I'll keep it in my absinthe addled mind"

Click.

Shoot me a pm and I'll give you the lowdown on how to collect your valuable prize.

Oh, and if anyone else wants to see this thing in full operation with a pretty decent selection of what's available today absinthe, just stop by Johnny's Half Shell and give it a whirl. It might be an acquired taste, but it's really kind of a mesmerizing process and very fun to do.

Making your own sugar cubes is not that difficult ... of course, the Martha Stewart recipe

starts "Growing sugar cane is fun and worth the effort ..."

Amaze your friends with sugar cubes in different shapes ...

Edited to add ...

The basic formula is to add two or three tablespoons of water to a cup of superfine sugar ...

mix into a gloppy consistancy ... press into a mold (such as a measuring spoon) ... turn out

onto a sheet of wax paper and let dry.

Cake decorators sometimes add an egg white, to get a firmer product ... probably wouldn't

work in this context.