Lotus Root

goodeats

I went to Super H Mart thinking they had some stocked readily, but couldn't find it anywhere in either the produce or frozen areas. Did I miss it or do they not sell it? If so, where have you seen it? Am I thinking Great Wall?

I'm craving a pork stock made rice with lotus root (or ribs and lotus soup), so I wanted to make some, but of course, am missing the key ingredient. Virginia recommendations preferred, as I live in VA, but wherever is key!!!

Thanks!! (can you sense the urgency of a mad woman?!) :lol:

I asked someone in produce and they gave me the strangest look. :lol:
but did you ask in Korean? They have lotus root in the cooler on the wall where the milk and dairy products are but they may be pickled lotus root. I've also seen them fresh in the produce section. Grover will (bad pun alert) "root" them out if they have them...

3 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I made this Food and Wine recipe for Mapo Eggplant.  I upped the chili sauce as I wanted it spicier, and I added bok choy and lotus root as I didn't have quite as much eggplant as called for in the recipe.  Served with wild and brown rice.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ma-po-eggplant-in-garlic-sauce  Hubby despite not liking mapo tofu, and not being very excited when I said mapo eggplant, ate two helpings so, I think we did good.

Was it fresh lotus root or canned?I really want to learn to look for good fresh lotus root. I've bought it a couple times and it seems to get weird black spots and turn a little slimy in a couple of days. 

22 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

Was it fresh lotus root or canned?I really want to learn to look for good fresh lotus root. I've bought it a couple times and it seems to get weird black spots and turn a little slimy in a couple of days. 

It was a package of fresh cut slices in the refrigerated section of Lotte.  

• Like 1