dr.com dinner at the Oval Room

Walrus

Come join your fellow Rockweilers at the Oval Room on Friday, July 25, at 7 pm for a 5-course BYOB meal by Chef Tony Conte!

The cost for those who BYOB and for nondrinkers is $85/head, which includes food, tax, and tip. For those who prefer that the restaurant provide the wine, the cost is $110/head.

The Oval Room provides free valet parking to all guests.

There are only 40 places available for this fabulous event, so sign up now! PM me with your name and the number of people in your party.

The menu will be posted closer to the event.

For more information about the Oval Room, see www.ovalroom.com/.

See you there!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's time to start signing up for this.

$85, all-inclusive, and you can bring as much wine as you want with NO CORKAGE FEE.

That works out to about $65 for the dinner (assuming 10% tax and 20% tip) at one of the best restaurants in the area on a prime-time Friday night.

I'm telling you, The Oval Room is awesome, and remember: before he came here, Tony Conte was Executive Sous Chef at Jean-Georges - he ran the kitchen at one of New York City's only four-star restaurants. We have one of the great chefs in the United States at our disposal, and he's going to be cooking to impress, trust me. This event is a no-brainer.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'm just waiting to see what's on the menu.
Ah, but what's on the menu depends on who comes...Seriously, actually, the chef has several ideas, some of which will work well with larger groups, some with smaller groups, so until we get closer to the date and know better how many people are coming, we won't know what's on the menu. So flex your menu-making muscles and sign up :lol:

Perhaps everyone's mired in a recession, queued up for hamburgers? We need everyone to start signing up now, or this event is in peril. Given that this is BYOB on a Friday night, I thought The Oval Room would be the one no-brainer event of the year; if we don't get adequate attendance, then this is a strong data point that economic times have quickly changed, at least in terms of perception.

All:

During the last DR dinner at Proof, a few people remarked that they really wanted to see a menu (or at least the entrees) before they committed to the event. This may be some of the hesitation of signing up for this event without knowing what the menu is. Can people sign up and then change there minds after the menu is posted? or they stuck with their choice? I know the Oval room on a Friday night is a deal, but if the entrees end up being salmon and sweetbreads and I can not stand either, then the menu is a deal breaker. I am posting this as feedback from the last DR dinner. This being said, I am signing up today.

All:

During the last DR dinner at Proof, a few people remarked that they really wanted to see a menu (or at least the entrees) before they committed to the event. This may be some of the hesitation of signing up for this event without knowing what the menu is. Can people sign up and then change there minds after the menu is posted? or they stuck with their choice? I know the Oval room on a Friday night is a deal, but if the entrees end up being salmon and sweetbreads and I can not stand either, then the menu is a deal breaker. I am posting this as feedback from the last DR dinner. This being said, I am signing up today.

Yes, and thanks for the feedback. Let's get TENTATIVE sign-ups so we can get a rough head count. I may even show up and bring a magnum of Red Burgundy.

Perhaps everyone's mired in a recession, queued up for hamburgers? We need everyone to start signing up now, or this event is in peril. Given that this is BYOB on a Friday night, I thought The Oval Room would be the one no-brainer event of the year; if we don't get adequate attendance, then this is a strong data point that economic times have quickly changed, at least in terms of perception.

Would love to chip in and do my part and all, but MrP and I will be out of town for the annual kicking of my ass at Watkins Glen.

The menu's now available for the DR.com org...I mean, dinner!

Pastrami Cured Kanpachi, Hot Mustard, Tomato Jam & Caraway

Corn Custard, Smoked Peaches, Jalapeno & Thyme

Lobster Poached In Fragrant Butter, Cherries, Lily Bulbs & Celery

All Natural Beef Strip Steak, Stewed Carrots, Passion Fruit Mustard & Tarragon

Blueberry Tart, Ginger-Vanilla Cream & Lemon-Verbena Ice Cream

(I'm drooling on my keyboard!)

The economy does suck....that being said, sign me up for two. It really is a great price folks....

You're on the list :lol:

If all of those who have signed up could let me know by PM in the next week whether they're doing BYOB or not, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Anne

Just a quick reminder! The cost of this dinner -- $85/head -- includes food, tax, and tip -- the "regular" cost of such decadence would be about $100/head, so we're getting a nice DR.com discount here!

Don is threatening to cancel this dinner and it would be very sad if that were to happen. The price for the meal is a steal and I personally promise that all attendees will drink VERY well. Please sign up now.

Don is threatening to cancel this dinner and it would be very sad if that were to happen. The price for the meal is a steal and I personally promise that all attendees will drink VERY well. Please sign up now.
I hope it doesn't get cancelled. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. Usually I'm all slow and hesitant, but I signed up for this one right away.

Last chance to sign up! We have enough people and will be having a fabulous party -- come join us for great food and awesome company! I mean, if this:

I personally promise that all attendees will drink VERY well. Please sign up now.
doesn't get you, what will?!?!?

Last chance to sign up! We have enough people and will be having a fabulous party -- come join us for great food and awesome company! I mean, if this:

doesn't get you, what will?!?!?

Sign me up +1 please. One with wine and one without please. Thank you!

Hi everyone!

The night has come! These will be the folks around the table tonight:

pat +1

nashman1975

goodeats

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

agm

notquickdraw

youngfood +1

hmmboy

Walrus

Tripewriter

collije +1

SrtaJRosa

See you tonight!

This is one of the best dinners I have ever been too. While there will be many posts, I want to be on the record that this place rocks

<br />Hi everyone!<br /><br />The night has come! These will be the folks around the table tonight:<br /><br />pat +1<br />nashman1975<br />goodeats<br />Scott Johnston<br />Cucas87<br />agm<br />notquickdraw<br />youngfood +1<br />hmmboy<br />Walrus<br />Tripewriter<br />collije +1<br />SrtaJRosa<br /><br />See you tonight!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

The quick summary is that it was like a trip to Oz and not quite back. I am still lingering in the bubble, pondering, mesmerized, and still savouring the complexities, harmony, and marriage of all the textures, techniques, flavors, colors, and presentations of ALL the courses (there was 2 extras!). There is NO hurry to click on my ruby slippers tonight. A big huzzah to Chef Conte, and absolutely to the servers and wonderful people at The Oval Room.

I am sorry that others missed out, but the cloud is still floating....

Wow -- what a dinner tonight! A big THANKS to everyone who came -- what a wonderful group of people!!! And such good wines you all brought :lol:

I know I didn't get them all -- please forgive me for not getting them all! -- and the champagnes in particular were simply enjoyed, rather than recorded, but this is what I have written (progressively sloppily -- oops!) from the evening:

Amuse bouche

Tuna (I think!) and chilled cucumber soup: Loved the hot pepper oil on this dish! The soup was surprisingly -- and deliciously -- thick. A great, summery way to start.

Wine: Champages! Yum ;)

First course

Pastrami Cured Kanpachi, Hot Mustard, Tomato Jam & Caraway: This was amazing! Soooo good.

DonRocks's riesling

Tripewriter's Simonassi Malbec, first sampled at Proof :o

Second course

Corn Custard, Smoked Peaches, Jalapeno & Thyme: LOVED the smear of smoked peach...mmmmm...and the corn custard was so nice and smooth/creamy

Hmmboy's Ramey Ritchie Vineyard 2004 Russian River Chardonnary

Tripewriter's 2006 Rosato Vina Aljibes, from Arrowine

Third course

Lobster Poached In Fragrant Butter, Cherries, Lily Bulbs & Celery: Such a great and unusual lobster dish -- bold and, I almost want to say, presumptuous! Youngfood's spicy white went particularly well with this dish, in my completely ignorant opinion :)

Youngfood's 2005 Savigny les Baune Domaine Martin Nichol (white burgandy)

Tripewriter's Ecole No. 41 Semillon Blanc, first sampled at the Mendocino Grille

Fourth course

All Natural Beef Strip Steak, Stewed Carrots, Passion Fruit Mustard & Tarragon

Hmmboy's 2004 Saxum Heart Stone Vieyard Paso Robles

Tripewriter's 2006 Mollydooker The Boxer, first sampled at Vetri, in Philly

Fifth course

Blueberry Tart, Ginger-Vanilla Cream & Lemon-Verbena Ice Cream: Sooo good. I'm not usually a fan of cooked fruit, but this was great -- warm and creamy but with great flavor

Scott Johnston's 1996 Castello di Poppiano VinSanto della Torne (Torre?) Grande Giucciardini

Tripewriter's Moscato d'Asti Marchese di Grese, first enjoyed at Dino

What an outstanding meal -- my and Tripewriter's VERY great thanks to Don, Allen, Tony, Ed, and all the rest of our fabulous fellow diners!

See you next time!

I really do have to apologize that my photos do Chef Contes' works of art injustice, but the only camera available was the one on my mobile. :lol: *sigh*

Again, ALL of the items served last night are on their Dinner Menu. In order are picture attachments of the following:

Pastrami Cured Kanpanchi, Hot Mustard, Tomato Jam & Caraway

-The experience of eating a Pastrami sandwich, but only waaaaaaay better. The spice blend was neither too salty nor overpowering compared to an actual deli sandwich, with the lightness of the Kanpanchi bringing a summer, airy feel. The "Hot Mustard" part was actually Hot Mustard Ice Cream with a delicate mustardy touch and a smooth texture to compliment the fish. I could actually eat an entire bowl of the ice cream alone.

Local Corn Custard, Smoked Peaches, Jalapeno & Thyme

-The corn custard was amazing! I am still trying to dissect the ingredients to this, as there was debate on whether dairy was used to make the custard. The custard exuded fresh corn flavor, and just cutting into it was an experience -- soft, appearing to fall apart upon the first slit, yet firm, when the whole stays together. The smoked peach sauce that accompanied it overall gave the feeling of eating at a farmers' market on a cool, sunny day.

Lobster Poached in Fragrant Butter, Cherries, Lily Bulb & Celery

-This picture is horribly dissimilar to the beautiful plating of the real thing. This would be my favorite, if it was not for my main entree. The cherries were cooked a little bit, softening, but not making the bite mushy. Combining it with the lobster was an unforgettable fruity, moist and full of flavor feeling.

Strip Steak of prime beef, Stewed carrots, Passionfruit mustard & Tarragon

-Someone else would have to relay this experience, but I heard great things about the carrots.

Stripped Bass, with Anise, Toasted almonds, and Licorice oil dressing

-One of the few times that I am glad to be allergic to beef. This BY FAR was the highlight of my evening. The fish was so juicy, which contrasted greatly with the crisped skin. When eaten with the oil dressing and one other sauce, along with the almonds and crisp pea topping, the combination proved to overwhelm my senses.

Blueberry tart, Ginger-Vanilla Cream & Lemon Verbena Ice Cream

-Lemon Verbena ice cream + really fresh blueberries + savory cream = enough said.

Finger food: Vanilla-anise marshmallow and Passionfruit jellied fruit bite

-Did not know what the second thing is called, but as soon as this plate was set down, most of us at the table started bouncing the marshmallows. ;) It gave a good bounce, but the softness of it wrapped up a nice evening.

post-2127-1217117669_thumb.jpg

post-2127-1217117678_thumb.jpg

post-2127-1217117685_thumb.jpg

post-2127-1217117690_thumb.jpg

post-2127-1217117697_thumb.jpg

post-2127-1217117704_thumb.jpg

post-2127-1217117711_thumb.jpg

I knew I was excited about this dinner for a good reason :lol:. My husband and I enjoyed the food, wine, and company thoroughly. Thanks to everyone who brought such wonderful wines. Special thanks to Walrus and Don.

The kanpachi course was my favorite, I think. I loved that mustard ice cream. The balance and combinations of the flavors in all of the courses was quite impressive. My husband doesn't like mustard, so I was a little apprehensive when I saw two courses that featured mustard prominently, but he enjoyed both of them and didn't find the mustard a dominant flavor at all. He liked it in combination with the other tastes on the plate.

Everything was just wonderfully balanced--beautiful and flavorful. It's the first time we've been to the Oval Room, but we'l definitely be going back.

A really tasty dinner at the Oval Room last night. I loved the mustard ice cream with the chef's version of a pastrami sandwich: think fish with all the NY condiments and a little more love. Another highlight was the corn custard...just order it. What I loved most about all of Chef Tony's plates was not only his inquisitive blending of components but his whimsical presentation. Everything was wonderful! Special thanks to everyone who put this event together. Staff at Oval Room were most accomadating. Loved making new friends and renewing ol' friendships.

I'm not sure there's much I can say about this dinner that hasn't already been said, but that wont stop me from trying.

The chef is doing some really interesting stuff here. His menu is entirely understated, but so too is his style of cooking. He simultaneously under informs you about what is coming (I was beyond surprised by each of the first three courses based on the sparse menu descriptions) while managing to use great restraint to produce delicate, intricate flavors. The highlights for me - aside from the great company and some really fantastic wine - were the kanpachi and the lobster. I was unenthusiastic about the kanpachi going in as I imagined a piece of fish wrapped in pastrami and that just sounded a bit overkill. Even if I'd realized the chef was only going to use the pastrami spices, I'd have been a bit worried about them overpowering this relatively light fish. And who puts mustard on fish? Well my fears were misplaced - the mustard ice cream was a dramatic hit and the carraway and other spices really produced a fantastic well balanced dish. The lobster blew me away though. Butter poached, but - as Don said of the chef's cooking overall - nary a bit of butter and cream was discernible. The lobster meat was just incredibly delicate - much lighter than I've ever seen accomplished before. And the flavors were fantastic. Again, I was worried about cherries being a bit overpowering, but neither the cherries nor the butter poaching ruled - rather the 'fragrant' component of the butter was the strongest. I'm not sure what besides Chinese cinnamon was in there, but it was not your typical rich lobster dish and that was a very good thing.

A couple other observations: 1. the staff did a great job with us. One gentleman in particular explained each dish with great detail, which was necessary - at least with this group - in light of the sparse menu descriptions for each dish. The level of detail he provided made it almost like we had a food sommelier and was a lot of fun. 2. Being able to BYOB sans corkage was a blast with a big group like this. It made for a lot of fun, so thanks for everyone who brought something interesting to share.

Sorry for finally getting around to replying.

Fantastic meal, gotta agree with what's being said above! An excellent combination of food, wine, service and excellent dining companions.

Happy to meet more of the members & catch-up with some I haven't seen in ages. Thanks to everyone who made this happen [particularly to Walrus & Don!].