Poutine Considered Offensive

DameEdna

The Canadian Embassy in the U.S. sent out a party invitation showing Samuel De Champlain

holding a plate of putine. Some considered this offensive to Quebec. I don't get it ... isn't

poutine considered a special dish?

Poutine ain't exactly haute cuisine, shall we way.

The Canadian Embassy in the U.S. sent out a party invitation showing Samuel De Champlain

holding a plate of poutine. Some considered this offensive to Quebec. I don't get it ... isn't

poutine considered a special dish?

I'm in Ottawa right now and friends of mine were telling me about this yesterday (over a plate of poutine, natch!).

Samuel de Champlain is somewhat of a Quebecois hero/icon. Poutine is food usually consumed after the brain has been addled by large amounts of alcohol. Sober people usually stay away from the idea of fries smothered in gravy and cheese curds. So the picture of Champlain holding up the plate of poutine would be roughly equivalent to a picture of General Lee (or any other regional historical icon) holding up a tray of bean burritos. Quebec nationalists tend to be a whiny bunch of crybabies (read: entitled little mofo's - with all apologies to the separatists on this board) and they take offense to the tiniest little things. Not surprising they got their gonchies in a knot.

I'm in Ottawa right now and friends of mine were telling me about this yesterday (over a plate of poutine, natch!).

Samuel de Champlain is somewhat of a Quebecois hero/icon. Poutine is food usually consumed after the brain has been addled by large amounts of alcohol. Sober people usually stay away from the idea of fries smothered in gravy and cheese curds. So the picture of Champlain holding up the plate of poutine would be roughly equivalent to a picture of General Lee (or any other regional historical icon) holding up a tray of bean burritos. Quebec nationalists tend to be a whiny bunch of crybabies (read: entitled little mofo's - with all apologies to the separatists on this board) and they take offense to the tiniest little things. Not surprising they got their gonchies in a knot.

Je me souviens!!!

(my most well documented brush with fame is a photo with Robert Bourassa on top of the bunker) :lol: