Appetizers for a Crowd

Al Dente

I was going to do my world famous grilled wings but someone has stolen my thunder for an upcoming potluck, and I'm having trouble coming up with a good idea. I need to feed about 15 peeps, and it needs to be easily transportable in a cooler. It should also be inexpensive-- I don't want to spend more than $40-50. I'll have access to an oven and a grill, so I could cook it when I get there, but I'd prefer not to do much prep or assembly at the potluck-- I'll do it in advance.

Idears?

I was going to do my world famous grilled wings but someone has stolen my thunder for an upcoming potluck, and I'm having trouble coming up with a good idea. I need to feed about 15 peeps, and it needs to be easily transportable in a cooler. It should also be inexpensive-- I don't want to spend more than $40-50. I'll have access to an oven and a grill, so I could cook it when I get there, but I'd prefer not to do much prep or assembly at the potluck-- I'll do it in advance.

Idears?

Spinach-Artichoke dip with some kind of bread? That can be held to be cooked when you arrive or be cooked ahead of time and reheated.

This is one I like. It's a little labor-intensive starting with fresh spinach, but it's very good.

Idears?

Food on a stick!

Chicken Satay w/peanut sauce

any other of a number of kebabs

It's the right time of year for something like pan con tomate, and you can't get much easier than tomato innards and olive oil smeared on grilled bread.

Or, I'd agree, it's hard to go wrong with crab dip - there's a seriously good Emeril recipe for jalapeno crab dip floating around online.

I'll second pulled pork sliders-good rolls (make 'em or buy 'em), slow-roasted/smoked pork butt, w/ a splash of hot pepper vinegar. I like my slaw on the side, not on the sandwich, tangy rather than sweet (rice vinegar & Pickapeppa sauce)-wow, this is making me hungry!....I wouldn't prep them ahead of time, just bring a container of pork, the rolls, slaw (optional) & let them construct their own...

Given the way things went in May, the best tomatoes around right now are Sun Golds. Maybe in Pugliese focaccia.

Scroll down to entry of September 26 2006 here.

For the prosciutto, if you're shopping local, I'd consider the peach or nectarines.

Oh, but wait. One thing that is damn good is in Susan Loomis's book from Rue Tatin. Fresh sage leaves wrapped around little pieces of feta, marinated in olive oil. Something else is involved, I think. Prosciutto? Voila!

Adding to this - and this might need to be a separate thread - any ideas on what to serve a handful of post-wedding reception attendees? I'm looking for something thats quick but perhaps filling (to soak up some of that booze). I'd like to avoid using my oven, if possible.

Not sure this satisfies plunk's requirements, and it's certainly not fancy, but whenever I need apps for a large group I gravitate toward one of my signature finger foods, "Hanky Panky." Funny name, but seriously tasty. And SO easy.

Cook 1 lb. of ground beef and 1 lb. of hot pork sausage; remove from heat and drain fat. Add 1 lb. of cheese (I use Velveeta because it melts really well and, hey, I'm classy like that, but you could really use any non-oily cheese you prefer) and stir until melted and mixed well. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano to taste. Split 8 English muffins (so you'll have 16 halves); spoon meat/cheese mixture onto muffins and freeze overnight on a baking sheet covered with foil.

Whenever you're ready to serve (and these can keep in the freezer for quite some time, which is part of their magical wonderousness), bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes. Then, switch from baking to broiling (on high) for a few minutes to brown the tops and make the cheese all bubbly. Cut into 4ths and serve to oohs and ahhs.

I get requests for this ALL the time, so it seems to be a crowd-pleaser. I mean, meat and cheese on bread, how can you go wrong?!

I went with crostini which worked out well. I found a recipe on epicurious with goat cheese and an olive/garlic/orange zest/fennel seed tapenade.

Some great suggestions above. I plan to get around to some of them-- perhaps as soon as this Sunday at a dinner party with the in-laws.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!

how about

I'm hosting an Olympics watching party for about 7-10 people. I might do the chips and dips route but any suggestions?

Go to a Chinese grocery store and stock up on the frozen dumplings, pot stickers, bean buns and whatever, and make a simple dipping sauce of sesame oil, garlic, soy and scallions. Or look for something on Google.

It ain't homemade gourmet, but it is tasty and appropriate for the Beijing Games (later you can put one of your guests under house arrest). You may have to pick up some bamboo steamers but they're cheap.

I'm hosting an Olympics watching party for about 7-10 people. I might do the chips and dips route but any suggestions?

Get some Chinese take-out boxes at The Container Store, and fill them with dan-dan (cold sesame) noodles. Most grocery stores sell lo-mein noodles. The sauce is simple to make, if you have some tahini, or you can probably find some ready-made in a jar. Sprinkle with slivered green onion, sliced cucumber and sesame seeds and give each person their own container and a pair of chopsticks.

Is Trader Joe's still selling won-ton chips? Serve those with dips of plum sauce, duck sauce and/or spicy mustard.

Get a selection of frozen dim sum at an Asian market or Trader Joe's: shu-mai, potstickers and bao.

Go to a Chinese grocery store and stock up on the frozen dumplings, pot stickers, bean buns and whatever, and make a simple dipping sauce of sesame oil, garlic, soy and scallions. Or look for something on Google.

It ain't homemade gourmet, but it is tasty and appropriate for the Beijing Games (later you can put one of your guests under house arrest). You may have to pick up some bamboo steamers but they're cheap.

They also have the fresher pastries as well, so you can skip some of the prep. You could also fry up some shrimp chips or buy the packaged ones which aren't as airy or delicious. There's also all different types of preserved salty tofu snacks in the snack aisle, sweet flour noodle cakes, watermelon seeds, green tea pumpkin seeds, sesame and peanut crunches, and chewy date candies.

They also have the fresher pastries as well, so you can skip some of the prep. You could also fry up some shrimp chips or buy the packaged ones which aren't as airy or delicious. There's also all different types of preserved salty tofu snacks in the snack aisle, sweet flour noodle cakes, watermelon seeds, green tea pumpkin seeds, sesame and peanut crunches, and chewy date candies.

In fact, hitting Super H or Great Wall with a buzz on and buying cool-looking stuff at random can be fun.