Arlington Amends Ordinance to Encourage Kiosks

cheezepowder

The Arlington County Board has amended a zoning ordinance to encourage kiosks selling food and other goods. The press release says this is "designed to enliven County streets by encouraging small business owners who provide food, crafts and goods to set up shop in Arlington."

It sounds like Arlington was already ahead of DC in terms of encouraging food carts anyway. There was a Washington Post editorial in May discussing the bureaucratic hurdles of getting a food cart in DC and mentioned that was the reason why Pupatella was in Ballston. Hopefully Arlington will get more delicious little food spots like Pupatella. :lol:

The Arlington County Board has amended a zoning ordinance to encourage kiosks selling food and other goods. The press release says this is "designed to enliven County streets by encouraging small business owners who provide food, crafts and goods to set up shop in Arlington."

It sounds like Arlington was already ahead of DC in terms of encouraging food carts anyway. There was a Washington Post editorial in May discussing the bureaucratic hurdles of getting a food cart in DC and mentioned that was the reason why Pupatella was in Ballston. Hopefully Arlington will get more delicious little food spots like Pupatella. :lol:

What a great idea and great piece of news. It'll be interesting to see how this changes the dynamic in the main arteries of Arlington. Hopefully it'll bring some more diverse options into the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor.

What a great idea and great piece of news. It'll be interesting to see how this changes the dynamic in the main arteries of Arlington. Hopefully it'll bring some more diverse options into the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor.

I am just curious, for all you Arlingtonians out there (and others). What would you like to see available at these kiosks? I guess lets focus on the food first, but if there are other things you would like to have avaialble, what would they be?

I for one think this is a great piece of news and I am curious as to who will take the proverbial ball and run with it....

I am just curious, for all you Arlingtonians out there (and others). What would you like to see available at these kiosks? I guess lets focus on the food first, but if there are other things you would like to have avaialble, what would they be?

I for one think this is a great piece of news and I am curious as to who will take the proverbial ball and run with it....

Noodles, meat on a stick, pastries, arepas, etc.

Artisanally crafted chocolates. On a stick.

Flavored Shaved Ice and Gelatto

A decent hotdog would be more than welcome. I am not even pining for a homemade sausage, but just something of a decent quality, and with decent toppings.

That got me thinking. Someone should convince the Heidelberg Pasty Shoppe to sprinkle around Arlington a good half-dozen or more of that BBQ Cart they sell the grilled wursts w/ fixings on Saturdays outside their store. That would be a winner.

That got me thinking. Someone should convince the Heidelberg Pasty Shoppe to sprinkle around Arlington a good half-dozen or more of that BBQ Cart they sell the grilled wursts w/ fixings on Saturdays outside their store. That would be a winner.

you totally missed the opportunity to say 'that would be a weiner'

i've been thinking about trying to set up a deal with some local kitchen to share space to cook up some meat and toppings for a taco stand in clarendon.

i'm also really curious as to why noone has a cart near the clarendon metro on thursday, friday, and saturday nights. seems like a goldmine with all the drunks wanting salty/greasy food.

i'm also really curious as to why noone has a cart near the clarendon metro on thursday, friday, and saturday nights. seems like a goldmine with all the drunks wanting salty/greasy food.

Hard Times Cafe had a cart out there a year or two ago. Chili dogs. Haven't seen it recently, though. I guess they flooded the market what with their restaurant being directly across the street. :lol: