Highland Park, NJ

blakegwinn

There is a large orthodox enclave near the place I moved in NJ about a year ago. Out of the three or four falafel shops around none can even come anywhere near the same universe that Max's is in. I really didn't appreciate it until I left Silver Spring.

One of those shops was recommended to me by a few people in the neighborhood and I went by to give it a try last week after getting my haircut across the street. When I walked in the place was pretty crowded, good sign I thought. Kosher certification and fridge stocked with homemade kosher fare, good sign. Fryalator with falafel mixture and scoop next to it, good sign. Wait what is that, PIZZA? SUSHI!!? Alarm bells were going off but I decided to try it anyway.

First problem I had was that he took the falafel out of a giant chafing dish with a lid instead of making them fresh with the scoop and falafel mixture. When he lifted the lid, I could see steam coming out and I knew that, while they might have been made recently, the premade falafel were probably going to be pretty soggy due to the moisture. Then he asked me what toppings I wanted. I asked what they had and I was told I could have lettuce (which turned out to be one of those Dole iceberg salad mixes with the preshredded carrots and cabbage pieces) tomato, onions and sauce. After I got to my table and took my first bland mushy bite, I realized how badly I took all those wonderful sauces and pickles at Max's for granted. Max's was the first and only falafel place I have really frequented and I just thought all that stuff was standard topping choices for falafel. Boy was I wrong.

Anyways I still have one place i have been told to try but I don't have my hopes up. They have a neon sign out front that advertises sushi, burgers, pizza and falafel.

Anyways I still have one place i have been told to try but I don't have my hopes up. They have a neon sign out front that advertises sushi, burgers, pizza and falafel.

Is this place in Lakewood? If so, I was there last Wednesday and it's the strangest place I've ever been in my life...

Bologna, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Highland Park NJ? It is amusing to me that my hometown of 14,000 would get its own thread at Don Rockwell.

Was this Jerusalem Pizza? I seem to recall that they had pretty good fresh made falafels, but they may have gone downhill. Due to the relatively large Hasid and Orthodox population in HP, there is a demand for Kosher foods of all kinds and kosher standards. Heck, even the Dunkin Donuts is Glaat kosher.

If you're spending time in HP, my parents were regulars at Pad Thai on Raritan Ave. I thought that it was just ok, but I'm not sure how good other Thai offerings are in central NJ. I heard from numerous folks that Seven Hills of Istanbul, also on Raritan, was very good. For what it's worth, the reviews on Zagat are mostly positive. For dessert, if it's still there, the Corner Confectionary serves excellent, if not expensive, Sedutto's ice cream in an old fashioned soda shop setting.

By far the best dining option in HP, however, is White Rose System. They serve White Castle style burgers (or hamburges as it used to be mispelled on their sign) that are absolutely incredible. Sure, they are 150% unhealthy and yes, you probably want a dog on which to blame the potential gastrointestinal disress, but the side effects are totally worth it. Although I never developed a taste for them, this is also a good place for that new jersey staple, the pork roll sandwich.

See, also:

http://whiterosehamburgers.com/

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2007/1...ose-system.html

http://www.hollyeats.com/WhiteRose.htm

http://www.yelp.com/biz/white-rose-system-highland-park

Bologna, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Highland Park NJ? It is amusing to me that my hometown of 14,000 would get its own thread at Don Rockwell.
Hahaha. When I saw this thread I thought the exact same thing. Highland Park of all places. I guess it is only funny if you have seen it. It would be like a NYC food blog having a string devoted to Takoma Park. Anyways, I think 7 Hills is a little over-priced for what you get but I may be tainted by the fact that I routinely get Turkish fair of almost identical quality at Efe's in New Brunswick for half the price (although in a much less fancy setting).

White Rose Systems is awesome. I love how they have it ready for you so fast. Literally 45 seconds after you order you get your burger. This is not exaggeration. They have the grill guy partitioned off so you can't see how they do it. Not sure how long ago since you were back but they recently opened a 5 guys at Route 1 and Old Post Rd (? I think). It is where all the korean joints are. That has cut into our White Rose Dining though as we prefer the fries at 5 guys.

And yes the place I wrote about was Jerusalem. The falafel was decent but as I said, soggy due to being in a steamed up tray and completely lacking topping options. The place right across the street is the one that advertises Pizza, Sushi and Falafel. A couple of other notes, if Sedutto's is the old fashioned soda place I am thinking of it shut down about a month or two ago. I get my haircut next door and he was telling me that the space is now for sale/lease. Also, if your parents haven't tried the greek place Pithari, it is pretty good. Service is odd but the food is good. BYOB from the attached Greek Store. The Greek family who owns those also own three or four other businesses along that strip.