Morgantown, WV

plunk

Anything worthwhile here? Surely there has to something good in this college town. Failing that, anything on the way to Morgantown from D.C.?
Having driven this stretch many times I have never found anything worth stopping for between Morgantown and DC. As for Morgantown itself, I have no idea.

I have been meaning to try Weavers Restaurant and Bakery in Hancock, MD which is right on the way. A Road Food kind of place. But I can't personally vouch for it, because each time I've been nearby I've been in too big a hurry to stop in.

Well, if we're talking about Hancock, I would consider a hot open-faced roast turkey sandwich at the Park N Dine. It's not going to win any awards, but they do roast their own turkeys.

Mountain State Brewing Company - not to be confused with Morgantown Brewing Company, just down the street - has the big wood fired pizza oven in the middle of it.

Their small pizzas (errr, flatbreads) were ENORMOUS and I quite enjoyed the two I tasted.

They had four of their own beers on tap - I had them all, liked them all, and at $3.75 a pop felt like I was getting a steal.

http://www.pugspasta.com/menu.html

If you are near Mountaineer field or the hospitals Puglioni's is very good for Italian. Good, fresh homemade pasta made daily and fresh ingredients. Homemade dough for pizza, made to order, and homemade breads too. We ended up here a lot while my Dad was in the hospital and we were sick of cafeteria food, or my husband was tying to distract me. And very nice friendly staff.

Sit on the deck at the downtown Wings Olè

Wings Ole used to be called Wings-n-Things (not sure of the spelling; I think they changed the name for trademark reasons when they expanded to more locations in the '70s). It started out as a little hole in the wall not far from today's downtown location. We used to go there when I was in high school, and it's the first place I had a burrito. (A couple of friends still make fun of me for trying to unwrap the tortilla -- I thought it was a towel.) The tortilla was an unusually soft texture (towel-like!), and the flavoring was unlike any burrito -- or anything else -- I've ever tasted. My standard order was a medium beef burrito and a large orange soda. They had a local commercial that showed someone (a WVU player?) dribbling a basketball all the way there to the tune of "What's Happening!!" (There's a 30% chance I made that up, but it feels like a real memory.) I went there last Christmas for the first time in decades en route to Ohio, and there was that distinct Wings-n-Things flavor. I don't know that I can recommend it to anyone, but it's a happy food memory for me. And, as Don said, it's now got a deck, which overlooks the river.