*Sheep's Milk Cheese Tasting @ Cheesetique

hillvalley

Our DonRockwell.com member's only sheep's milk tasting will be on Sunday, October 9th at 6pm.

Our Next Cheese Class: Sheep's Milk Cheeses

Time to focus on the elusive sheep's milk cheese! Believe it or not, many folks do not know that cheeses are made from sheep's milk. We will focus on some of the finest, from Sheep Brie to Pecorino to Manchego, and turn you all into sheep's cheese lovers! Baaaahhhh!!!!

We have 14 spots and the cost is $15 plus PayPal Fees. PM me if you would like to join us.

Just a reminder that our Sheep's Milk tasting is this Sunday @ 6 @ Cheestique. The shop will be closed but feel free to walk on in.

We will have the opportunity to make purchases after the tasting :lol:

If anyone is interested in going over to Taquria Pablano afterwards for dinner let me know!

Just a reminder that our Sheep's Milk tasting is this Sunday @ 6 @ Cheestique.  The shop will be closed but feel free to walk on in.

We will have the opportunity to make purchases after the tasting :lol:

If anyone is interested in going over to Taquria Pablano afterwards for dinner let me know!

Is there still room for the cheese tasting?

We might actually do our dining beforehand at 4:30/5:00 and consider the tasting our desserty cheese course. We need to hit Gold Crust Bakery, Daily Planet for wine, and the antiques store near Cheesetique and they all close at 5. What goes better with an hour to kill than fish tacos and a margarita?

Edited by CrescentFresh

This was my first Cheesetique cheese tasting and it was well-worth the trip across the river, and, as usual, getting lost. :lol: (unlike driving in DC, where the roads are all so logically laid out and the signage clear and concise.) So baaaaaahhhhh! I now know a whole lot more about sheep cheeses - thanks to Jill (and Mrs. Daniel K, for her unique input too :P ) The experience reminded a couple of us of Passover dinner. Everything was laid out in front of us on plates so enticingly that it took great fortitude to wait until our preliminary introduction to all things sheepcheese was over and we could begin our tasting.

copyofcheesetiquesheepcheeseta.jpg

In the center was a cherry preserve with a hint of anise in it. As Jill described each cheese, we tried them in order, and dipped into the jam to see which worked well and which didn't. In between we had a bit of bread and water to cleanse.

Clockwise from 12:00: Pecorino Romano with Truffles - delicious with jam and honey; Rosemary Manchego from Spain, a pasteurized manchego rolled in rosemary before aging; Manouri - an unfortunately-named Greek, creamy white and tasting like a mild feta; Torta del Casar, a rare, hand made, raw milk Spanish - vinegary and pungent; Roquefort - another raw milk, French of course, and a real stand-out; Brinata, Italian "brie" type, slightly tangy and pure tasting; Alderbrook, one of two American cheeses we tried, earthy, runny, and, to me, tasting of the sea at low tide; Ptit Basque, caramely, nutty and good for shaving; Everona Muffaletta, raw milk with a muffaletta mixture, tasting of sour pickles and olives; Ossau Iraty, a French raw milk cheese made in shepards' summer huts high in the Pyrennes; and Pecorina Toscano 90 Day, a flaky, rich flavored Italian, a good pairing with the cherry preserves.

Big thanks to HillValley for organizing us - 17 in all!

Before and afterwards some of us ventured all the way across the street to Taqueria Poblano (see that thread for details) and a couple of us could not resist rolling ourselves a few more doors down for one last caloric exertion at Del Ray Dreamery.

Edited by crackers