Jehovah-Jireh Farm

Located at the very end of Ed Sears Rd. and sandwiched between the Monocacy river and an adjacent valley, the Horsts (and their six children) operate a small historic farm belonging to Maryland DNR under a conservatorship program. The farm produces grass-pasture-raised chickens, turkeys and lamb, although I'm pretty sure I heard a dairy cow being milked in an adjacent shed.

I picked up a carton of fresh brown eggs ($3.50) which are sold on the honor system from a refrigerator adjacent to the processing building (also available at some M.O.M. locations, and the Takoma Park and Silver Spring co-ops), and they're excellent. I did a little A-B testing fried-over-easy. No comparison to the organic eggs sold by Harris Teeter; the J-J eggs had significantly more flavor, and visibly thicker, richer yolks. Gubeen has been on my case about the blandness of modern eggs, and she was thrilled. I have to admit that she was right; I'd almost forgotten how much better eggs tasted when I was a kid. Will have to test them side-by-side against Born Free and WF's brands next.

They're out of poultry until the next scheduled monthly processing run, but I hope to give that a try next. Now, to try to contact this other poultry operation in Comus...

I'd almost forgotten how much better eggs tasted when I was a kid. Will have to test them side-by-side against Born Free and WF's brands next.

Don't waste your time or money. Farm eggs are always going to be SO much tastier. Supermarket eggs are from chickens that may not be raised in cages, but they are raised in huge flocks inside barns, and don't get to scratch for bugs in the outdoors with lots of sunlight and space. If flavor is what you are looking for, get your eggs at a farmers market.

Keep them in mind for your Thanksgiving Day turkey.

Said hi to Myron today while I was picking up more eggs and he was tending his turkeys. FYI, he's worked out the numbers and will be pricing this year's turkeys at $3.79/lb, but the website hasn't been updated yet (which I suppose means that number isn't quite set in the proverbial stone).

Don't waste your time or money. Farm eggs are always going to be SO much tastier. Supermarket eggs are from chickens that may not be raised in cages, but they are raised in huge flocks inside barns, and don't get to scratch for bugs in the outdoors with lots of sunlight and space. If flavor is what you are looking for, get your eggs at a farmers market.

No, no ... there's lots of compare/contrast going on in our family history.

"How come the godchildren get better grades than you all?"

"I bet (fill in the blank) studies four hours a day. Why don't you?"

"(Other local Chinese person)'s kid got into Harvard. Are you going to go to Harvard?"

So this is clearly an intellectual exercise and not some quest for truth. We all know about farm eggs. Anyway, that's how my family rolls.

- rockcreek

I forgot the best one: "Michael Chang went to Stanford (untrue) and married a Chinese girl! (untrue at the time, but might get there.)"