Lively, Good, Wheat-Free, Moderate Prices

nashman1975

All--

Need some help. I know of some great restaurants in DC in various areas, but not as good with the lively atmosphere kind of scene. Need some help for a friend:

1. Lively restaurant (hoppin vibe, noisy, trendy scene--things that are normally anathema to me)

2. Great food (or very good)

3. Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle/Mid-town (proximity to clubs/bars in those areas--walking)

4. No italian/asian (friend is celiac--no wheat gluten)

5. Damage for 2--$100 with booze, maybe appetizer and/or dessert

All I could come up with was Lauriol Plaza (insert collective groans here--but I actually liked the food the one time I went there).

Thanks in advance,

Nashman

:lol:

Firefly? As best I can recall, it has no thumping soundtrack but it's pretty loud and hopping (not in an Adams-Morgan sort of way, though).

Rice on 14th Street. It had a pretty happening bar scene last time I was there and had a trendy, hipster feel. For $100, you could drink a lot of booze.

(oops...just saw your "no asian" requirement).

Edited by DC in DC

I know you said no Asian, but Regent Thai, on 18th a little north from from Lauriol Plaza, has trendy cocktails and a cool vibe. And your celiac friend can get rice noodles, or rice, or a broiled fish, or something.

If you want another kind of noise, Mimi's American Bistro has singing waiters.

Jael

The no-Asian thing is a little surprising, since Thai and Indian restaurants are just about the easiest places to get gluten-free dishes. As far as that goes, I'd suggest Indique, since it's got plenty of dosas/appams/etc that are both gluten-free and actually good. Japanese is generally a safe bet as well, as long as you stay away from the shoyu (most are brewed with wheat as well as soy).

The no-Asian thing is a little surprising, since Thai and Indian restaurants are just about the easiest places to get gluten-free dishes.  As far as that goes, I'd suggest Indique, since it's got plenty of dosas/appams/etc that are both gluten-free and actually good.  Japanese is generally a safe bet as well, as long as you stay away from the shoyu (most are brewed with wheat as well as soy).

I agree--he just doesn't like asian food; italian is the problem--sorry for the confusion

1. Lively restaurant (hoppin vibe, noisy, trendy scene--things that are normally anathema to me)

2. Great food (or very good)

3. Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle/Mid-town (proximity to clubs/bars in those areas--walking)

4. No italian/asian (friend is celiac--no wheat gluten)

5. Damage for 2--$100 with booze, maybe appetizer and/or dessert

It's funny just how often I end up recommending Zaytinya to people in various situations. Even though I don't love the place, I end up sending people there all the time (and they always enjoy it, too).

Cheers,

Rocks.

It's funny just how often I end up recommending Zaytinya to people in various situations.  Even though I don't love the place, I end up sending people there all the time (and they always enjoy it, too).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Can you send me once so that I may finally enjoy it? On my three visits I have been less than impressed. :lol:

It's funny just how often I end up recommending Zaytinya to people in various situations.  Even though I don't love the place, I end up sending people there all the time (and they always enjoy it, too).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Zaytinya is the answer — it's trendy, can be loud, great food, easy on the wallet. It's my go to for impressing cheap out of town friends. And you can walk to Indebleu, Fado, RFD, mega-club Home, oh yeah, Coyote Ugly if you're so inclined. :lol:

Cheers,

Rocks.

before i impress my guests from out of town, will someone please tell me how to pronounce htipiti, kilokithokefteses, midye and mavrofassola me loucaniko?

The more I think about it the more I think Zaytinya is the right answer. If you want an industrial vibe, cocktails, and small food farther up in Adams Morgan, maybe Mantis would also be an option.

Jael

Not to take this thread OT, but how is Mantis? I've always thought about checking it out in theory (Asian tapas?), but never made the trip.