Port

Pete

Do you know if you prefer tawny or vintage port?

I have to be honest for me - I prefer vintage, and I typically keep a bottle of Horton's vintage port around because it's tasty and has a good price point for what I've found so far.

Though King Family shipped me two bottles of their "7" which I haven't tried yet.

For a good everyday Port, I would go with an LBV (Late Bottled Vintage). The quality of these relative to price tends to be better than for vintage ports, and they are more widely available. Taylor Fladgate and Warre produce good examples.

I second that. L.B.V.'s are the bargains, especially if they are from declared vintage years.

If you like the drier styles of Porto, go with Dow. If you prefer the sweeter style, go with Graham's.

This seems to be my week for recommending former employers. It won't help in the short run, but if you want to taste a lot of port to get a better handle on what you like, you should go to Arrowine's annual port tasting. It is the first Saturday in December (that's why I said it won't help in the short run). They usually have between 20 and 30 ports open from various producers in all different price ranges. Bring a notepad to take notes. After, 20 - 30 ports, you may forget which of the early ones you liked.

I'll agree that LBVs are your best bet at the low end. I really like tawny port and have yet to find anything cheaper than 50 that I enjoy at all.

We are pouring Smith Woodhouse 20 year Tawney and it should come in at retail for around $50 or maybe less. Their LBV is currently a 91! The Lodge Reserve is fine stuff and not a lot of money. I am impressed with the entire line.