Eating at the Maryland Renaissance Festival

I was at the Maryland Rennfest this past weekend. Despite the rain which turned the faire area into a gigantic mud puddle I still had a great time. It really amazes me what variety and scope of foods they have there in tems of the number of things that can be deep fried and/or put on a stick.

A few highlights were:

Scotch eggs: cold hard-boiled egg removed from its eggshell, wrapped in a sausage meat mixture, coated in breadcrumbs, and deep-fried. I'm kind of suprised that mcdonald's has yet to steal this concotio it's an ecoomy of size yet it packs a wallop of full fat yumminess.

Fried green "thai" green beans with a coconut peanut dipping sauce- self explanatory. Delicious.

Steak on a Stake: a favorite of my husband's but I always find the steak too chewy.

Deep Fried macaroni and cheese on a stick- need I say more?

spinach pie- in case you thought it might be healthy, they serve it with cheese sauce on the side.

Deep fried twinkies/candy bars- I had them last year. The candy bars were better than the twinkies.

On the drink side of the equation, they serve a range of beers, wine and mead for inexpensive prices. They have unusual wines made from berries, fruit and honey too.

Try the fried pickles and the sweet potato fries.

Anything in a bread bowl is good.

Mead and ale are best enjoyed out of a goblet or flagon, available from your local potter, wood-, or pewtersmith.

The desserts are great.

Cheesecake on a stick WILL kill you.

See my friends perform in Shakespeare Skum and The O'Danny Girls.

Mead and ale are best enjoyed out of a goblet or flagon, available from your local potter, wood-, or pewtersmith.

The desserts are great.

Agreed on the Skum, O'Danny Girls and the cheesecake.

I actually got a leather mug, which is pretty nifty. (they use some special glaze to protect it)

The desserts are great.

Love those O'Danny Girls, it was a duo this past Sunday as one of the girls had lost her voice.

Cheesecake on a stick is the best reason to go to the Faire! Love that stuff, even if it's not of the period. Other goodies not of the period but available at the Faire include funnel cake, dirt cake (really a pudding), and chocolate chip cookies!

The only truly period food at the faire is the lady doing demonstartion of authentic rennsciance cooking. She has an open fire and a table for a cutting board. It's really cool. Unfortunatly only the cast members may eat her food but you can watch her do it! I think that the Dinner Impossible people did an episode where they tried to make a feast under those conditions.

The only truly period food at the faire is the lady doing demonstartion of authentic rennsciance cooking. She has an open fire and a table for a cutting board. It's really cool. Unfortunatly only the cast members may eat her food but you can watch her do it! I think that the Dinner Impossible people did an episode where they tried to make a feast under those conditions.

Try the Fried Twinkies or the Fried Oreo's...

Steak on a stake: not bad, not great, kind of chewy, and with some A1 even better - I'd forgotten how much I like A1. :lol:

Scotch egg: fan-fugu-tastic.

Chicken chipotle empanada - uh, yeah. Not really.

Brat on rye with sauerkrat - surprisingly good, even after having a very memorable one at Thirsty Bernie's on Thursday night.

Sausage on a stick & cheesy bread - the only positive part of being stuck in the parking lot for over 4 hours. Well, that and the cigar...and some laughs did come out of it...and it did sober me up enough to drive home from Dunn Loring...

Steak on a stake: not bad, not great, kind of chewy, and with some A1 even better - I'd forgotten how much I like A1. :lol:

Scotch egg: fan-fugu-tastic.

Chicken chipotle empanada - uh, yeah. Not really.

Brat on rye with sauerkrat - surprisingly good, even after having a very memorable one at Thirsty Bernie's on Thursday night.

Sausage on a stick & cheesy bread - the only positive part of being stuck in the parking lot for over 4 hours. Well, that and the cigar...and some laughs did come out of it...and it did sober me up enough to drive home from Dunn Loring...

Jeez four hours? I was stuck there for 2, with only the Prarie Home companion as a high spot. That was a total clusf-ck, normally getting out isn't so difficult.

Some highlights from my second trip:

Fried Oreos. Oh yeah baby.

falafel- pretty good although I think my falafel standards aren't that high right now. Maybe I should go hit up max's cafe to really confirm what the good stuff should taste like.

Pirate chocolate pie with peanut butter- oh my gawd that stuff is good. Not so good to eat and then go see those super skinny ariel girls doing crazy things on the silks.

pulled pork sandwich with slaw and bbq sauce- I wish the pork was a little more flavoful but it was moist and juicy.

Scotch Egg: Yes, please. As my two-year old would say, "More! More! More!"

Fried Mac & Cheese on a Stick: Five (or so) little triangles of solid, deep-fried M&C on a skewer. Good, as all fried cheese must be, but the mac & cheese itself was disappointingly blah.

Steak on a Stake: For an overcooked hunk of meat, tasty. Saved by a healthy dash of pepper.

Fried pickles: My fave. Fried in spear form (as opposed to slice form).

Cheese bread: Good, but not much different from something I would slide out of a Pepperidge Farm sleeve and slip into my own oven.

Frozen chocolate-covered banana: Just about what it sounds like. Pretty good taste-bang for the health-buck, but I do regret not having the cheesecake on a stick.

We got in and out on Saturday with no problem at all. Arrived at about 10:15 (shortly after it opened), cruised into a spot. Left at about 1:30, drove straight out. The back-up headed in was astonishing. Moral of the story: Get in early, get out early.