DR.com Bird Dinner at Vidalia

Walrus

Come join your fellow Rockweilers at Vidalia on Wednesday, October 29, at 6:30 pm for a bird-centric meal prepared by Chef RJ Cooper!

Cost is TBD -- we must have a minimum of 14 interested in attending this special event for it to happen, so sign up now! PM me with your name and the number of people in your party.

The cost and menu will be posted closer to the event.

For more information about Vidalia, see http://www.vidaliadc.com/.

See you there!

Update!

Menu:

bird of a feather passed canapes featuring birds

pressed capon and foie gras terrine

bobwhite quail from beaver creek

red tail partridge

wild scottish grouse

pre dessert

dessert

Cost:

$150 per person, all inclusive: food, wine, private room, tax, tip.

Anyone else salivating at the thought?!? If so, PM me to be put on the list. I'll send out payment info as soon as we hit 14 -- the magic number!

As always, my usual query: does RJ know the teetotaler price? I'm guessing $120 based on last time...
I think right now we're waiting with bated breath to see whether the dinner will happen at all. I'd say that $120 is a good guess, and I'll post as soon as I know anything.

birds of a feather, flock together

reception

wing popper

duck ham, pear

gizzard hush puppy

amuse bouche

hen tail, mushroom, liver parfait

first course

compressed capon, foie gras, plum

second course

quail, crosnes, truffle, consommé

third course

partridge, salami, apple, chestnuts

fourth course

grouse, hubbard squash, smoked cranberry

fifth course

pumpkin pie 2008

mignardises

rjc III-executive chef de cuisine

Nothing better on a cool fall evening then eating game birds and drinking rhones!!!!!!!! Im in dont wanna cook wanna eat!!!!

There is not much I won't eat (especially meat-wise), but crosnes give me the creeps, they look like cocoons.

I have never seen them before, but agree that the picture is unsettling. Maybe the chef could let us know where he gets them, and how he's going to cook them?

Still even with these things on the plate I am definately in. And yes Heather even without a cone of silence.
I'd be delighted to meet you, and promise not to get too rowdy.

I have never seen them before, but agree that the picture is unsettling. Maybe the chef could let us know where he gets them, and how he's going to cook them?

The first time I had them was at Trotter's about 10 years ago, I still remember thinking that he put bugs on my plate. Funny as fine a meal as that was, it was the most memorable part of that dinner. If memory serves they had been poached and accompanied a similarly prepared fish. The only place that I have actually enjoyed them was at the now defunct Elisabeth Daniel in San Francisco where they had been perfectly sautéed.

We are a mere THREE people short of having this dinner come off...

If we can get the other 3 people and it is OK with RJ, I would be happy to offer up either a magnum of 1999 Gosset Grand Millésime or a Jeroboam of Gosset Brut Excellence to be consumed during the reception.

If we can get the other 3 people and it is OK with RJ, I would be happy to offer up either a magnum of 1999 Gosset Grand Millésime or a Jeroboam of Gosset Brut Excellence to be consumed during the reception.

This will probably cost Vidalia $100 in drink orders. Still, DO IT! The Magnum of 99 is worth $150 and the Jeroboam (equivalent to 4 bottles) of Excellence is easily worth $250 - this is quite a generous offer that I hope people appreciate). In exchange, everyone has to take pictures and give Vidalia a little Public Luv, as well as a little extra tip for opening and serving the Champagne - just give five bucks to Michael Navarez and he'll distribute accordingly. I have it on good word that they aren't going to be making any money from this dinner. To quote that great philosopher, Aristotle:

"fucking grouse are way expensive like 25 buck a bird so im taking it in the ass a bit.

its cool though."

This will probably cost Vidalia $100 in drink orders. Still, DO IT! The Magnum of 99 is worth $150 and the Jeroboam (equivalent to 4 bottles) of Excellence is easily worth $250 - this is quite a generous offer that I hope people appreciate). In exchange, everyone has to take pictures and give Vidalia a little Public Luv, as well as a little extra tip for opening and serving the Champagne - just give five bucks to Michael Navarez and he'll distribute accordingly. I have it on good word that they aren't going to be making any money from this dinner. To quote that great philosopher, Aristotle:

"fucking grouse are way expensive like 25 buck a bird so im taking it in the ass a bit.

its cool though."

Hmm. I would be all over this Roy Cloud gem---Voillot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens. Might have to sign up for this

that sounds great will do contact ed our som 6591990

its cool though."

Mike will not be on his feet yet but we will have him there in spirit

Hey there all!

I am new here to Don Rockwell but have been a member of both egullet and DR since 2005. But this so happens to be my first ever post onto DR. I lived in Chicago a while ago and was most active on egullet while I lived in that city and added my DR account when I moved back to DC a couple of years ago.

I just want to give everyone here a warm "hello" and to say I put my name down as a 'yes' to coming to this special dinner at Vidalia. (Thanks Walrus for the info!) I look very much to this wonderful menu and to meeting all of you.

Well, take care and I will see you soon enough on the 29th.

.erik :lol:

The wing poppers were what all wings should strive to be.

The Hentail, mushroom, liver parfait was for the me dish of the night, too bad it was only one bite

The Chestnut and Foie Gras had too much acid in it

Compressed Capon, foie gras, and plum could have used a touch more salt to bring out the capon flavor, but was otherwise delicious

Quail, sunchoke (Crosnes did not arrive), truffle, consommé was a hit and miss dish for me, the quail meatballs were delicious as was the consommé, but the quail breast needed to be cooked a little longer

Partridge, salami, apple, brussel sprouts was delicious, the star being the salami made from the legs of the partridge (look for it on the Vidalia menu soon)

Grouse, hubbard squash, smoked cranberry the grouse was well prepared, and delightfully gamey, I was not much of a fan of the ravioli which I found to be too heavy and the dough was too stiff.

Pumpkin pie was a delicious deconstructed version that would have benefited by a little more caramel.

All around delectable evening with far more hits than misses.

Thanks again for a great meal and delicious birds of all different kinds! The little quail meatballs and the grouse were the standout for me! Honorable mentions to the liver parfait amuse, foie gras and chestnut soup, and the partridge salami. All rounded off by the delicious Pumpkin Pie 2008.

I believe we had two winners in the "shot"glass competition.

Thanks for taking the time to join us at the end. See you soon...for a snout to tail dinner perhaps?

I believe ScotteeM has photos.

The wing poppers were what all wings should strive to be.

The Hentail, mushroom, liver parfait was for the me dish of the night, too bad it was only one bite

The Chestnut and Foie Gras had too much acid in it

Compressed Capon, foie gras, and plum could have used a touch more salt to bring out the capon flavor, but was otherwise delicious

Quail, sunchoke (Crosnes did not arrive), truffle, consommé was a hit and miss dish for me, the quail meatballs were delicious as was the consommé, but the quail breast needed to be cooked a little longer

Partridge, salami, apple, brussel sprouts was delicious, the star being the salami made from the legs of the partridge (look for it on the Vidalia menu soon)

Grouse, hubbard squash, smoked cranberry the grouse was well prepared, and delightfully gamey, I was not much of a fan of the ravioli which I found to be too heavy and the dough was too stiff.

Pumpkin pie was a delicious deconstructed version that would have benefited by a little more caramel.

All around delectable evening with far more hits than misses.

This was such an interesting dinner--a unique opportunity to taste and compare so many different kinds of birds next to each other. For me, the "duck, eel, bbq" appetizer, the compressed capon, and the partridge were standout winners, as were each of the spot-on wine pairings.

I agree with Sthitch on the quail dish; undercooking may have been why in the first few bites I didn't really like the quail breast, but as it warmed in the excellent consomme, the flavor became much more mild and lovely.

Thanks to Sthitch for donating the champagne, which made a terrific start for the evening. And a huge thanks to the chef and his wonderful staff for being such gracious--and generous--hosts. It was a really enjoyable night, and I'm looking forward to getting back to Vidalia soon!