I Want Candy

beachgirl54

Just like the song . . . I was in NYC last weekend and stopped by Economy Candy to get some REAL bridge mix to send to my cousin, but also picked up some goodies for myself - Swedish fish, not stale, very soft and fresh. Besides the painfully overpriced places in most every mall, is there a real candy shop in DC or environs? I've lived here a long time and have never heard of one. Thanks.

I haven't been, but The Sugar Cube in Old Town Alexandria (210 N. Lee St) sounds like it could be what you're looking for. Website here, thread here. Or maybe Candi's Candies in Old Town (107 N. Fairfax St), which I also haven't been to yet.
I was just in the Sugar Cube on Saturday and they have a wide variety of candy - licorice, chocolates, a huge selection of Jelly Belly flavors, 'vintage' candies (haven't seen those wax bottles filled with sugar water since I was about 5 years old), gourmet chocolates, fudge, etc. Chocolate-covered gummi bears were yummy. They have a lot of cute Halloween-themed items - chocolate-dipped rice krispy treats on a stick with ghost, cat, and spider decoration, and some chocolate-dipped brownie bites (also on a stick) that were really cool - eyeballs, Frankenstein, cats, etc (at $3.50 a pop, a little too steep for my budget, but fun too look at). So they may not be any less over-priced than the mall stores, but their selection is much more interesting.

Haven't been in Candi's in a while, but last time I was there they had almost exclusively salt water taffy, with a small sampling of other items. Maybe their selection has expanded since then.

My next venture will be a store devoted to circus peanuts and those candy dots on a piece of tickertape paper.

Ok, the candy dots were like crack to me as a child. In fact, is there any definitive proof they aren't crack?

Hm.

I fully expect this post to get deleted, but in the meantime: mmmmm. tasty, tasty pastel-colored crack-dots...

:angry:

Ok, the candy dots were like crack to me as a child. In fact, is there any definitive proof they aren't crack?

Hm.

I fully expect this post to get deleted, but in the meantime: mmmmm. tasty, tasty pastel-colored crack-dots...

I think nobody is making them at the moment, but a few years ago we bought a candy-dot making machine for the kids to play with. Still around here somewhere...

Hm.

Really? I always got bits of the paper in my mouth, which was fairly unappetizing. I strictly went straight for the Fun-Dip and those giant chewy Sweettarts. For all of you candy heads out there, you should defintely read the book "Candy Freak" by Steve Almond. Pretty amusing book.

I think nobody is making them at the moment, but a few years ago we bought a candy-dot making machine for the kids to play with. Still around here somewhere...

I bet you could find them at a Cracker Barrel. Or, you could certainly order them from candydirect.com (if you are really jonesing for them :angry: )

Really? I always got bits of the paper in my mouth, which was fairly unappetizing. I strictly went straight for the Fun-Dip and those giant chewy Sweettarts. For all of you candy heads out there, you should defintely read the book "Candy Freak" by Steve Almond. Pretty amusing book.

Oh man I went through a serious Fun Dip phase one Little League season. I never ate the candy stick tho...too chalky!

I bet you could find them at a Cracker Barrel. Or, you could certainly order them from candydirect.com (if you are really jonesing for them :angry: )

You can still buy the candy, but I haven't found anyone recently selling the contraption that allows you to make your own.