Urban Bar-B-Que Company - Owners David Calkins and Lee Howard Now In Numerous Baltimore-Washington Locations

On my last couple of visits, the soul rolls have remained fantastically addictive, but I can't say that I'm a fan of their ribs. Meaty, yes, but a couple hours short of fall-off-the-bone, and underspiced.
This came up awhile back in the Johnny Boy's thread, I believe. I maintain that it's very difficult to hold properl-texture, smoked spareribs for service in such a way that <a> the proper texture is maintained and <b> the food police don't shut you down. Any BBQ restaurateurs care to chime in?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake,

I am passionate about smoking meats, and especially ribs. What I have found is that like Chili they actually improve with a day in the fridge. I cook them until they are succulent, but not to the point of fall of the bone (which is actually overcooked). The next day, I fire them on a grill over medium heat. The texture is fantastic, and the flavor actually improves and becomes more complex. But I would agree with you if you were to hold them at the proper serving temperature would cause them to become overcooked and dry.

I think with food that requires this much preparation, a little extra flexibility is in order - the diner needs to accept that it should be eaten when the food is ready, not when the diner is. That may mean that sometimes, you won't be able to get ribs, which I think is preferable to being served lousy ones. In some ways, this seems like an extreme analog to the state of fried chicken prior to the invention of the pressure deep-fryer - you had to WAIT if you wanted it good. Or if you're a small operation like the Mighty Midget, there is no need to hold the ribs...the batch will sell out quickly when it comes off the pit, period.

BTW, thanks for your great feedback in the Lexington thread, Steve. I'm taking a printout with me.

Just by chance, I had a late lunch at Urban on Saturday.

I agree that they weren't "falling-off-the-bone" tender, but I'm fine with that. They were not chewy, but it wasn't work to pull the meat from the bone, even with the plastic silverware. But mine were well spiced - no problems with the level of spice rub. I only wanted a little BBQ sauce to round off the flavor.

FWIW, my son got the bacon cheeseburger, and it ROCKED. Perfectly cooked to the requested medium-rare, juicy, shot through with BBQ sauce, on a good bun, with several slices of thick-cut bacon well fried. I'd have a hard time ordering a burger in a BBQ joint, but this is pretty tempting.

There's a sign in the Hillandale shopping center on New Hampshire Avenue next to the Radio Shack saying that Urban Barbecue is going to open up a branch there. Any idea when that might happen? That seems like a very good location for UB.

I drove up New Hampshire Avenue in Hillandale just yesterday, and was craning my neck looking for any sign of the much-ballyhooed opening of The Taco Maker. But I didn't see anything - is this place still opening here?

I drove up New Hampshire Avenue in Hillandale just yesterday, and was craning my neck looking for any sign of the much-ballyhooed opening of The Taco Maker. But I didn't see anything - is this place still opening here?

Answering my own question, Urban Bar-B-Que is opening in what was to be The Taco Maker's space. As of a week ago, the inside was completely gutted, so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Stopped in a for a quick lunch here today. Had the brisket sandwich and a side of collards. The brisket was falling apart tender, but I believe that to be a result of slow cooking in an oven rather than any appreciable time spent in a smoker. Similarly, the collards were nicely cooked but without any porky essence that I've come to associate with slow cooked greens. There were little bits of pork in the collards but they didn't go too far. The pot liquor was tasty, though. The Carolina sauce was perfect (to my taste, but I like vinegar). And I had some of my co-worker's cornbread, which was sweet and had a soft (but not too crumbly) texture.

I know there are many views on this, but this isn't quite what I think of when I think of "traditional BBQ". This is orders of magnitude far superior to the "bbq" you get at Ruby Tuesday's or TGI Fridays but not like some of the stuff I've had in the Carolinas, Tennesse, or even Texas because of the minimal smoke flavour. YMMV.

A friend drove by recently and says it looks like it is getting closer to opening. Any idea when anyone?

It looks like it should be soon! I stopped for coffee this morning at the adjacent Starbuck's in Hillandale and the place is coming together, finally. About half of the furniture was in the space, some wall decoration, the soda machines, including two taps for hopefully Dominion Root Beer ;) Employment interviews have been overheard in the Starbucks for perspective folks according to the Barista staff. But I hope that some contractor lost their job over how long it has taken to finish the kitchen and get this place open. Maybe there have been inspection delays, perhaps? The folks at the Rockville store had said long ago that they were shooting to open for Super Bowl weekend.

Yesterday was the Grand Opening, so I stopped for lunch. The layout is a little odd, with a row of tables down two sides of a long, rectanglular space, leaving a dance floor-like empty space. At the far end of the space are the bathrroms on the left and the counter on the right, divided by a wall. If there is a crowd, the lines funnel into a fairly narrow counter. Most of the tables were taken when I got there, so seating could be an issue once business really picks up.

I had the mac and cheese--delicious!--and pulled pork. I slathered the pork with the Carolina barbeque sauce and wrapped some of it in the tortillas that came with the platter. I don't recall the tortillas being available at the Rockville location, but I like having the choice. Having lived in the Carolinas for two decades, I have yet to find anything that equals the best pulled pork you can get down there, but Urban's version is tasty and combines well with the vinegary sauce.

I liked my french fries from the Hillandale location better than the fries I've gotten in Rockville. These were crispier. Like many things these days, I noticed at Hillandale that their prices (and I assume costs) have gone up. I haven't been to the Rockville location lately so I don't know if/when those prices went up.

Looking at the carryout menu which lists both locations (which I got from the Hillandale location) and comparing it to the online menu, for example, the buffalo wings were $6 but are $6.29 now, pulled pork and pulled chicken sandwiches were $5 and are now $5.49 and the plates were $7 and are now $7.59, and sides were $2, $4, and $6, but are now $2.29, $4.49 and $6.99, etc. On the other hand, the draft root beer, peach tea, and sweet tea prices have gone down from $2 to $1.88. I also noticed that the carryout menu says the sandwiches have a 5 oz portion while the online menu says the sandwiches have a 4 oz portion.

I liked my french fries from the Hillandale location better than the fries I've gotten in Rockville. These were crispier. Like many things these days, I noticed at Hillandale that their prices (and I assume costs) have gone up. I haven't been to the Rockville location lately so I don't know if/when those prices went up.

Looking at the carryout menu which lists both locations (which I got from the Hillandale location) and comparing it to the online menu, for example, the buffalo wings were $6 but are $6.29 now, pulled pork and pulled chicken sandwiches were $5 and are now $5.49 and the plates were $7 and are now $7.59, and sides were $2, $4, and $6, but are now $2.29, $4.49 and $6.99, etc. On the other hand, the draft root beer, peach tea, and sweet tea prices have gone down from $2 to $1.88. I also noticed that the carryout menu says the sandwiches have a 5 oz portion while the online menu says the sandwiches have a 4 oz portion.

Word is it's a franchised location.............................................. ;)

Hello All,

This is Dave from UBQ, Lee (partner) and I love the site and check it daily to find out what the word on the street is.

We appeciate all the compliments and critisims alike. Typically, it's the complaints that make us better. Your site has motivated me to take a step back and address some flaws in our food and service. I was happy to hear the compliment on those, tempermental french fries. I have started to brine them overnight in a secret solution (salt water). Resulting in a crispier fry.

I felt obligated to address the post concering that "four letter" word; "franchise". Let me set the record straight. Hillandale is not a franchise. Franchising works for some but not us. We have merely joined forces with a local restauranteur to assist in the financing of our company's growth. (Sugar Daddy). He has a strong background in food service and operates several local quick-serve concepts. Lee and I have worked too hard to have some francisee come in and screw up a good thing, just to make a couple easy bucks!

We will expand slowly in the the DC Metro region and are currenty looking at spaces in Bethesda and NoVa.

Give us a couple of weeks to work out some kinks in Hillandale, then stop by and have a Soul Roll and a root beer.

It is my goal to make UBQ#2, not as good as #1, but better.

Keep the posts coming, we will chime in from time to time.

Thanks, Dave and Lee

plan is to try the Hillandale location tonight.

mixed results-good meats (ribs, pulled pork and sausage) and key lime pie but we thought all the sauces were too sweet especially the Carolina which should be tangy as it's vinegar based. Corn bread was also sweet-a no no in my book; however we're glad it's close and my wife whipped up an excellent sauce in 5 minutes. Portions were good for the price so we'll be back. Sides (beans, greens and mac cheese also were only ok

Hubby and I went to Urban Bar-B-Que ( BBQ to us old Northern Folks ) and we decided that Red, Hot & Blue and also Famous Daves BBQ tasted much better.

The staff were attentive and nice, the food was too "wet" and not moist per-se. The corn bread was "typical" nothing to write home about. We did like the shared appetizer of the brisket eggrolls those were delicious. The redneck fondue was the same sauce as they gave on the side of the brisket eggrolls only soupier...

That being said, I'm glad we didnt venture into MD just to grab lunch up there and shop or this would have been a waste of time and tastebuds. Lastly, I prefer sit down service not "lunch room style". They should offer both options IMHO!

Anyhow that's my 2 cents worth.

Urban Bar-B-Que totally has the vibe of the places I used to go to while I was @ Texas A&M. The brisket is my fave, but the sausage and pulled pork are very good as well. As far as sweet cornbread goes, this is the best. I have yet to indulge in soul rolls, but am sorely tempted each time I visit. Going here just makes me happy! :P

Was marveling at how improved the brisket was the other day (this was at the Rockville location). Found out the reason when I read Tim Carman's piece in the City Paper this past week about the new SmokeTron 6000 or whatever it was they bought for $20,000. It's working.

I would like to throw in a good word about their wings. They are not traditional Buffalo style (dry-rubbed perhaps?) but they are great. I used to come home from work and pick up wings with some chili. Very good times....

rob

I totally agree on the wings. We always get some when we are there.

So I keep going back to Urban in Hillandale, and I keep ending up more and more disappointed each time. Sometimes it's dry meat, sometimes the brisket is fattier than it should be, but whatever it is, I'm leaving unfulfilled. Am I the only one experiencing this? Is the Rockville location also dropping off?

So I keep going back to Urban in Hillandale, and I keep ending up more and more disappointed each time. Sometimes it's dry meat, sometimes the brisket is fattier than it should be, but whatever it is, I'm leaving unfulfilled. Am I the only one experiencing this? Is the Rockville location also dropping off?

No, you're not alone. We were disappointed with our last meal from the Hillandale location and I echo your comments re the dryness and fattiness of the meat products.

No, you're not alone. We were disappointed with our last meal from the Hillandale location and I echo your comments re the dryness and fattiness of the meat products.

That is weird....I was at the Rockville location last tuesday for lunch before a business meeting and found it to be really good. I don't know why the locations would be different, unless they haven't gotten the smokers right. Urban BBQ I think is one of the better BBQ joints around.....But I haven't been to the Hillandale one.

Is it bigger and is the menu the same?

That is weird....I was at the Rockville location last tuesday for lunch before a business meeting and found it to be really good. I don't know why the locations would be different, unless they haven't gotten the smokers right. Urban BBQ I think is one of the better BBQ joints around.....But I haven't been to the Hillandale one.

Is it bigger and is the menu the same?

If there are any differences in the menu, they're minor. They're largely the same place in terms of food offerings.

It's also a much bigger location; there's actually places to sit most of the time.

I think the most frustrating thing is that the quality at the Hillandale location, in my estimation, has dropped off since they opened. I could understand if they just needed some time to get it right, but that hasn't been the case. Instead, I thoroughly enjoyed it about six months ago, and now it's pretty much out of my rotation. I just don't get it.

I got an Urban Burger and a chicken tortilla salad for take out tonight (Hillandale location). The fiance likes their crabcakes (I dunno why) but they don't sell them at the SS location.

The burger was good but not great...not dissimilar from Rockville. The salad had a fishy taste...like they had grilled some fish before or something. It didn't taste like rotten fish so we ate it but it wasn't a good chicken caesar.

I used to really like to Rockville location. Depending on what happens tonight (GI-wise), I'll go with the BBQ stuff next time.

As I understand it,the Rockville location still is the only one with the newer, better model smoker, which should account for a difference.

They opened a new location, but the old location has the newer smoker? Interesting.

The salad had a fishy taste...like they had grilled some fish before or something. It didn't taste like rotten fish so we ate it but it wasn't a chicken caesar.

You do know that a proper Caesar salad dressing does contain anchovies, right?

You do know that a proper Caesar salad dressing does contain anchovies, right?

Yeah, I know that and I know what anchovies taste like. This tasted more like some juice from some grilled fish dripped onto the greens. FWIW, I feel a little queasy today. Coulda been Urban, maybe something else I ate, maybe a viral thing, maybe hypochondriasis.

Had the brisket platter this weekend, with greens and cornbread. The brisket was the high point (as it should be), great smoky and spicy combination, and the flavoring was even through out, no unseasoned pieces or spice bombs. The low point was the cornbread, wrapped in plastic and under a heat lamp.

On my last couple of visits, the soul rolls have remained fantastically addictive, but I can't say that I'm a fan of their ribs. Meaty, yes, but a couple hours short of fall-off-the-bone, and underspiced. Which I can't understand, because they have a pretty decent dry rub in the shaker on the condiment counter. Arguably not as good as the last time I tried Rocklands' ribs, and I wasn't a fan of those either.

In a BBQ competition, falling off the bone ribs will lose you lots of points. They are supposed to be well smoked, tender, but not fall apart in your hands.

Hit up Hillandale location for dinner. Pulled pork is still pretty darn good. Their wings are still the star for me. Tried their ribs and was quite disappointed. Not horrid, just not up to par at all. I'd rate them a 'meh'.

The fries were better than I remember.

So I know many people have championed Urban's chili - I think Tim Carman has been particularly "guilty" of this - and I've never bothered to try it on the basis that I can't bring myself to order chili at a barbecue joint.

However, if somebody delivers you a large quantity of the stuff, you can't exactly say no, can you?

And dear lord, this stuff is good. Smokey, slightly spicy, and just flat out delicious. Lovingly mopped up by a piece of cornbread, which is particularly good today, even after making the trip from Rockville to Silver Spring.

Just open up "Urban Chili" somewhere right next door/in the back/in the parking lot, and I'll order it all the time!

Ever point the browser to donrockwell.com and something catches your eye that leads to a new discovery?

I know the site decently well but, given how much content there is buried in all manner of metaphorical basements, attics and crevasses of this website, I periodically realize how much remains unknown to me.

I really like BBQ. So I usually read and follow up on any BBQ-related posts made here with positive reccs. That's how I discovered my current favorite, KBQ in Bowie. That's how I found and then wrote about that guy in the bus in eastern DC near the Home Depot (forgetting the name, Mr something, has been there forever).

But, despite driving right past Urban many times on the way to many places in Rockville (Tofu House being just one example another half mile down Twinbrook), never even noticed the strip mall in which Urban is located before.

Someone gets shot at an Urban location. That leads to the first post to this thread in a couple of years. I'm originally aghast at the news but then, after getting over that, scroll up and read some of the reviews. Hmmm, this place has a lot of fans on the board. But I haven't read about it before on some of the general BBQ threads with which I'm more familiar.

So, tonight, in search of a quick spot for a late dinner, we went.

Verdict: I like it. Like it a lot. 2nd best ribs to KBQ IMHO though still haven't made it out to one of those 'Saturday-morning-sells-out-by-11-without-an-address-but-by-the-old-oak-tree-at-the-intersection-of-hwy-123-with-elm' places. Ribs were very tender and fall of the bone. Most impressed by the sides which, all too often (and very much including KBQ) are treated as afterthoughts and are thus disappointing. Collards were excellent with nice bits of bacon and perfect level of vinegar. Iced teas (sweet/unsweet) freshly brewed. BBQ/baked beans very good with generous chunks of pork. Corn bread fresh, not too sweet and with bits of corn. In all those side and drink examples, better than any other BBQ spot that comes to mind. We did also try a 1/2 lb basked of the pulled pork. Less impressive and a bit dry but, being close to close, I'm guessing it had probably been under a lamp for awhile.

If it wasn't for the shooting yesterday (and dr.com, of course), I'd never have known. Thumbs up on Urban.

I guess I had this crazy, weird, eating day, after getting my car serviced up in Rockville at Charles Automotive (highly recommend). I felt like ribs, looked up on DR and saw this place was an Herculean stones throw away*. So I took it to-go because I was tired and wanted to go home. Maybe this was my mistake, but my 2 meat combo of 1/2 rack and chopped pork were a little tough to eat. Nothing fell off the bone like darkstar's experience, with the exception that the chopped pork was equally tough and slightly fried out as mentioned above.

I think I'm in the disappointed camp on this one....

*it was about 0.4 miles away from Charles Automotive, according to the GPS, so if Hercules threw a stone, he'd probably hit it, if compared to our measley throws....

I guess I had this crazy, weird, eating day, after getting my car serviced up in Rockville at Charles Automotive (highly recommend). I felt like ribs, looked up on DR and saw this place was an Herculean stones throw away*. So I took it to-go because I was tired and wanted to go home. Maybe this was my mistake, but my 2 meat combo of 1/2 rack and chopped pork were a little tough to eat. Nothing fell off the bone like darkstar's experience, with the exception that the chopped pork was equally tough and slightly fried out as mentioned above.

I think I'm in the disappointed camp on this one....

*it was about 0.4 miles away from Charles Automotive, according to the GPS, so if Hercules threw a stone, he'd probably hit it, if compared to our measley throws....

Really interesting. We go here semi-regularly and, now having tried most of the major options (pulled/chopped pork, brisket, ribs), we tend to stick with the ribs. More often than not, they haven't been "fall of the bone" like I wrote last summer but, pretty much without fail, they've always been tender, meaty and very flavorful. We've noted some differences from visit to visit (maybe 8 or 9 visits in the past year) Maybe the ribs don't travel well (haven't ever tried that). Or maybe they had an off day as 'Q spots are especially prone to have.

Not to go all bbq snobby here, but ribs that "fall off the bone" are overcooked. They should have some bite to them, which is one of the reasons I really like their ribs. I normally go with those ribs and the surprisingly good sausage when I'm there. And, of course, the soul rolls when I'm feeling particularly gluttonous.

Not to go all bbq snobby here, but ribs that "fall off the bone" are overcooked. They should have some bite to them, which is one of the reasons I really like their ribs. I normally go with those ribs and the surprisingly good sausage when I'm there. And, of course, the soul rolls when I'm feeling particularly gluttonous.

Yep. Solid point to be sure. To be honest, I can't recall now whether when I wrote "fall of the bone" last summer I meant that literally but you're right, good ribs aren't that way and my last however many visits to Urban were exactly as you describe...and delicious. Sausage? Hmmm, just when I thought I'd tried everything they have....haven't tried those. Will rectify that soon though, with purveyors like Jamie Stachowski and Red Apron now around town, the bar for great sausage bar has risen. :)

You know I tend to agree. I stop in here from time to time and it's acceptable BBQ. I think their ribs are weak. The brisket is decent and so is the pulled pork. My only nit about the pork is that it seems like they either over pull it or underpull it (minced way too small, or way too big). Flavor is good though and I have to remember to try their wings again (been a long time since I tried them). I tend not to bother with sides, but their potato salad is not bad - kind of mustardy. I'll generally hit them up for pork from now on.

I do prefer KBQ over these guys, locally.

But honestly, the best BBQ I have ever had was at Smitty's in Lockhart, TX followed extremely closely by LC's in Kansas City, MO.