Acadiana Po' Boy Fundraiser

DonRocks

I urge everyone on this website to attend this event, Monday, September 12th, from 11 until 3. These are our city's culinary leaders gathering to drum up support for an outstanding cause, and it's our job as the dining community to step forward and pony up.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Culinary Fundraiser for New Orleans Refugees 

Monday, September 12

A group of high-profile chefs and restaurateurs here in Washington is donating its time, food, and energy to raise money for New Orleans, in sympathy with all the victims of Hurricane Katrina, especially their fellow food and restaurant workers who have lost their livelihoods and so much more.  We’re hoping the movement will go national.  We’re doing it with Po’ Boys, the beloved New Orleans sandwich.

Here’s our rallying cry: “PO’ BOY POWER - Dress New Orleans Again!”

At any New Orleans po’ boy joint, you order your oyster or roast beef sandwich “dressed” – with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and hot sauce.  Our goal is to raise money, not just to revive the city, but to bring it back as good as it can possibly be – “dressed.”

Acadiana restaurant, a Louisiana-style fish house opening this September, right in the heart of the nation’s capital, will become the po’ boy headquarters of the fundraising effort.  On September 12, from 11 am-3 pm, Chef Jeff Tunks and his chef friends Robert Wiedmaier (Marcel’s), Michel Richard (Citronelle), Roberto Donna(Galileo), Ris Lacoste (1789), Cesare Lanfranconi (Tosca), Frank Morales (Zola), Todd Gray (Equinox), Cathal Armstrong (Restaurant Eve), RJ Cooper (Vidalia), John Besh (Restaurant August, New Orleans), Jeff Buben (Vidalia and Bistro Bis), Kevin Scott (New Orleans Bistro), John Wabeck (Firefly), to name a few, will make brown bag carry-out po’ boys (Shrimp Remoulade and Roast Beef) for a donation of $25 each.  Additional donations are welcome.  Look for the banner on 901 New York Avenue that says “Po’ Boy Pickup.”  Come stand in line and get ’em to go!

“There is no question.  This food is what we know and love, these people are who we care about, and this is what we can do to help,” says Tunks.  His ties to New Orleans are strong – he lived for four years there – even got married there – and, most recently, “I was just down there, getting to know local purveyors, farmers, and fishermen who were to supply Acadiana.  We’ve been in constant contact all summer.  Now they’re just gone.” 

The first food donors on board are Congressional Seafood and Dairy Land.  All proceeds from this fundraiser will be given to the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (established by Governor Kathleen Blanco).  The Foundation will also receive a percentage of Acadiana’s profits for its first month of operation, as well as generous donations of the servers’ tips.

As a New Orleans native and long-time culinary industry professional, I know first-hand how the disastrous hurricane has affected my family, their homes, and businesses.  New Orleans’ legendary cuisine, such a tremendously important part of the city’s industry and economy, has always been the lifeblood of countless food-service workers, from busboys to restaurateurs – who have now lost everything.

Acadiana, 901 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C.  20001

For more information:

Simone Rathlé

800.496.1733 -- 703. 534. 8100 -- 703.534.8102

simonepr@aol.com or simoneink@aol.com

Here's an update on the Acadiana fundraiser next Monday:

I hope to see some of you guys there!

Rocks

---

PO' BOY POWER

Dress New Orleans Again!

At any New Orleans po' boy joint, you order your oyster or roast beef sandwich "dressed" - with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and hot sauce. Also, its name derived in the 1900s when the impoverished youth asked, "Please give a sandwich to a po' boy." That was the only meal they had for the day. How relevant that is to what is happening today. Our goal is to raise money, not just to revive the city, but to bring it back as good as it can possibly be - "dressed."

Acadiana restaurant, a Louisiana-style fish house opening this September, right in the heart of the nation's capital, will become the po' boy headquarters of the fundraising effort. On September 12th, from 11 am- 3 pm, Chef Jeff Tunks (DC Coast, TenPenh, Ceiba and Acadiana) and his chef friends Robert Wiedmaier (Marcel's), Michel Richard (Citronelle), Roberto Donna (Galileo), Ris Lacoste (1789), Cesare Lanfranconi (Tosca), Frank Morales (Zola), Todd Gray (Equinox), Cathal Armstrong (Restaurant Eve), RJ Cooper (Vidalia), John Besh (Restaurant August, New Orleans), Jeff Buben (Vidalia and Bistro Bis), Kevin Scott (New Orleans Bistro), John Wabeck (Firefly), Bryan Voltaggio (Charlie Palmer Steak DC), Christophe Poteaux (Aquarelle at the Watergate Hotel), Robert Weland (Poste Moderne Brasserie), Douglas Anderson (Seasons at The Four Seasons Hotel), Brian Kenny (Red Sage), Eric Ziebold (CityZen), and Andrew Evans (The Inn at Easton), to name a few, will make brown bag carry-out po' boys (Shrimp Remoulade and Roast Beef) for a donation starting at $25 per po' boy, or you can give more! Look for the banner on 901 New York Avenue that says "Po' Boy Pick-up." Come stand in line and get 'em to go!

Please call Simone Rathlé for details and please contact us if you can get involved:

(703) 534-8100 - (703) 534-8102 - (800) 496-1733

simonepr@aol.com or simoneink@aol.com

"There is no question. This food is what we know and love, these people are who we care about, and this is what we can do to help," says Tunks. His ties to New Orleans are strong - he lived for four years there - even got married there - and, most recently, "I was just down there, getting to know local purveyors, farmers, and fishermen who were to supply Acadiana. We've been in constant contact all summer. Now they're just gone."

The first food donors on board are Congressional Seafood and Dairy Land. All proceeds from this fundraiser will be given to the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (established by Governor Kathleen Blanco).

As a New Orleans native and long-time culinary industry professional, I know first-hand how the disastrous hurricane has affected my family, their homes, and businesses. New Orleans' legendary cuisine, such a tremendously important part of the city's industry and economy, has always been the lifeblood of countless food-service workers, from busboys to restaurateurs - who have now lost everything.

Help us get the word out. Help Dress New Orleans AGAIN! Thanks y'all!

Acadiana, 901 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20001, (202) 408-8848

or donate directly to:

Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation, Inc.

c/o Division of Administration

1201 North Third Street

Suite 7-240

PO Box 94095

Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9095

Tax ID No. 20-3399944

We're hoping lots of people will come out, eat po' boys, and help the relief effort. The reason we have 21 top chefs clamoring to make po' boys is that New Orleans was such an important culinary center, and we all feel the loss. We love the food, we care about the people in our industry, and this is what we can do to help.

- Po' Boy Power Committee

Can someone please write the play by play of this, so those of us who can't go can hear how wonderful it was? Those of us who teach high school in virginia bet. 11 and 3 can only donate our contributions in a box that's graffitti'ed in big bubble letters that read, "Fight the Flood", no po'boy included.

Just got back in with my roast beef po'boy - unsurprisingly, it's very good. When I picked it up at 11:10, there were an awful lot of people making sandwiches and very few people picking them up - if you weren't already planning on going, make some time and go. It's a good sandwich, and it's for a good cause.

Back from the front lines: they take cash, checks and credit cards (tax deductible (you'll get a donation receipt) and payable to "Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation, Inc."). The shrimp salad Po' Boy is huge, stuffed with shrimp, and comes with a bag of Route 11 sweet potato chips.

They're open until 3 PM, and are set up for quick, brown-bag distribution. You guys still have three hours left - go, go, go!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Had my shrimp Po' Boy (very good) sitting on a bench at the corner of 9th and New York around 11:30. There were a bunch of taxi cabs dropping people off and it was great to see that people were heading over to help contribute.

Hillvalley -- They had Fiji water available for an extra $5 donation. :lol:

If you are contemplating going, GO!

Keep the reports rolling in... I didn't think I had time for this today but the raves have made me think I should make the time.

How are the lines, those of you who have recently returned?

Jael

The whole process took less than 10 minutes for me at 11:50. Maybe three dozen people in two lines (one for CC and one for cash). I bought both the shrimp and roast beef and just finished the roast beef and will nibble on the shrimp the rest of the afternoon. Both sandwiches are quite yummy.

Definitely worth it. They even included a baby bottle of Tabasco.

I'm kicking myself, tho, that I didn't peer inside the windows at the restuarant. When is it supposed to open?

The whole process took less than 10 minutes for me at 11:50. Maybe three dozen people in two lines (one for CC and one for cash). I bought both the shrimp and roast beef and just finished the roast beef and will nibble on the shrimp the rest of the afternoon. Both sandwiches are quite yummy.

Definitely worth it. They even included a baby bottle of Tabasco.

I'm kicking myself, tho, that I didn't peer inside the windows at the restuarant. When is it supposed to open?

http://amandamc.blogspot.com/

The shrimp was gone by 12:33, when I bought my five.

Just learned the hard way that our CEO doesn't eat beef.

Whoops.

Edit: there were probably 15 people in the credit card line and 20 in the cash line when I was there. The process was very quick.

Edited by LoganCircle

I bumpbed into Cathal Armstrong at the door and he told me that they had made 1 thousand sandwiches for today's event. At $25/per, that works out to $25,000 for the relief effort. I got the impression that they would be able to make more if need be. So, the reports of being out of the shrimp version might be accurate but only temporary.

edited to add: And he also told me to bring my appettite on Thursday evening.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

They were out of the shrimp when I was there too, but the roast beef was great! Sitting in the shade in the park across the street with me were about 25 other people enjoying their po'boys. I'm so curious to hear the final numbers they bring in!

(Also, whoever said they could post the menu, I'd love to see it!)

I bumpbed into Cathal Armstrong at the door and he told me that they had made 1 thousand sandwiches for today's event.  At $25/per, that works out to $25,000 for the relief effort.

That's great!

I can't get down there today after all, but it's heartening to see people opening their hearts and wallets like this. There's plenty of places to give to if you didn't get a po'boy - we've given to the Red Cross, the Preservation Hall fund, Chefs Cook for Katrina, Operation Backpack, and a few local drives. Unfortunately, there seems to be no shortage of need either. :lol:

That's great!

I can't get down there today after all, but it's heartening to see people opening their hearts and wallets like this.  There's plenty of places to give to if you didn't get a po'boy - we've given to the Red Cross, the Preservation Hall fund, Chefs Cook for Katrina, Operation Backpack, and a few local drives.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no shortage of need either.  :lol:

We certainly are fortunate to live in a metropolitan area where the chefs band together in support of efforts like this. This is not the first time that the local DC chefs' community has done something like this. Their generosity begets generosity. It is also heartening to see that so many who participate on this board took part, chefs and consumers alike.

Arrived at 1:40 and got the fat-free, no carb, "suitable for the gym" tee shirt (maybe it's a sign from above).

Got to see the front of house and the back banquet room - very nice AND some tired but smiling staff/volunteers - even better.

Now that I know EXACTLY where Acadiana is - no excuses. Thanks for posting their menu.

Our sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of you who stopped by to make a donation and get your po' boys.

The participating chefs arrived at Acadiana at 9:30 this morning to get started on the preparations. The po' boys sold fast! We sold out in about 2.5 hours and raised more than $26,000 for the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation. We're organizing another po' boy event to provide continued support and will let you know the details when they are finalized.

We appreciate your support in helping the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

-The Po' Boy Power Committee

What a bummer to make the trek in from Bailey's Crossroads, find parking easily, and then discover the Sold Out sign :lol: as I walked around the building at around 2pm, along with 2 other disappointed folks who said they'd walked a ways to get there (Fellow DR'ers, perhaps?). Caught a glimpse of lovely sparkling light fixtures hanging over the windowside tables.

Chef Tunks was heading out too, in his big ol' Escalade with the DC Coast vanity plates - visual confirmation for me that no more po boys would be coming out of the kitchen.

Thanks, Al Dente, for the opportunity to live vicariously, virtually, and calorie-free through your photos... maybe I can make an early start from the hinterlands and arrive in time for the above-promised future event.

Or else I'll just save my pennies and go for the philanthropic gusto with a ticket for the Share Our Strength Katrina relief event on October 17th. :P

The Po'boy fairy delivered one of the shrimp po'boys at school for me this morning. It was about a half hour before lunch and as I sat at the desk and inhaled a few bites everyone who walked by was quite envious and suddenly hungry :P I couldn't believe the quality and size of the shrimp.

A couple of hours later, when I was finally able to enjoy the rest it was even better. The bread had soaked up all the mayo and juices from the tomato. It was excellent. There was enough spice for me so I didn't need to use the baby Tabasco.

If only the Po'boy fairy could make a delivery every Monday morning :lol: It was a great way to start the week.