Inox, Chefs Jon Mathieson and Jonathan Krinn in Tysons Corner - Closed

I let John Wabeck know I was coming into Inox last week, and asked him to recommend a couple courses for me to try, and an inexpensive bottle of wine to have with them. I had dinner at the bar, which is sequestered from the dining room, and so I'll comment only on the food and wine.

Dinner starts with an amuse-bouche, and a choice of housemade breads, all of which are excellent (although I actually preferred Mal Krinn's breads at 2941). Filtered, sparkling water costs one dollar for the entire evening.

The wine list at Inox is outstanding, and John chose a $31 bottle of 2006 Pascal Aufranc Chénas, a Village Beaujolais made from seventy-year-old vines. This is a world-class bottle of wine, and I’d bet that 99% of all diners who spend more than $31 don’t get a wine this good. Inox serves all their wines at the correct temperature, storing them in high-tech cabinets that regulate things down to a single degree.

I had originally intended to order only an appetizer and entrée, but it’s funny how good food and wine can quickly lead to a four-course meal:

Duo of Rabbit ($14) - a ballotine topped with a rabbit pierogi gratinee, served with heirloom carrots, baby turnips, and chanterelles

Amish Country Pouisson [sic] ($25) – a terrific poussin served with crispy sweetbreads, Louisiana Crawfish, and Morels in a sauce Nantua

Selection of Artisan Cheeses ($17) – a truly beautiful arrangement of four cheeses with walnut toast and pickled vegetables

Dark Chocolate Covered Cherry Bread Pudding ($12) – with Amarena cherry ice cream and Banyuls vinegar, paired with (what else?) a glass of Banyuls ($16).

All four courses were Michelin-star quality. Inox is putting out remarkably sophisticated, refined cuisine, and on culinary terms, is without question one of the top handful of restaurants in the area. The bread, the wine, the cooking, the desserts - based on this meal, if you asked me to name three area restaurants whose food I prefer, I couldn’t do it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of spending the day helping (at least I hope I was helpful to) Chefs John Mathieson, Scott Muns, Scot Harlan, and John Wabeck with prep for their dinner at the James Beard House. I was not able to sample any of the foods they prepared, but based on what I saw, I am sure it was an amazing feast. My wife and I are going to try to stop by on the way back to Connecticut for lunch at Inox. Thanks again for the amazing opportunity. Best of luck to Chef Wabeck on his upcoming exam.

Enjoy the beer

Dan

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of spending the day helping (at least I hope I was helpful to) Chefs John Mathieson, Scott Muns, Scot Harlan, and John Wabeck with prep for their dinner at the James Beard House. I was not able to sample any of the foods they prepared, but based on what I saw, I am sure it was an amazing feast. My wife and I are going to try to stop by on the way back to Connecticut for lunch at Inox. Thanks again for the amazing opportunity. Best of luck to Chef Wabeck on his upcoming exam.

Enjoy the beer

Dan

The beer was great,

Thanks Dan

My daughter and I had a late lunch at INOX today and it was, from start to finish, sensational. My daughter had the iceberg wedge - the best version of this classic salad I've encountered in some time. She followed that with the patty melt (w/bacon). I had read the hype on this burger and it delivered on all counts - I will return often for this dish. I chose the prix fixe 3 course lunch - starting with a perfectly grilled large chunk of yellowtail tuna, accompanied by lightly grilled and dressed romaine, followed by a perfectly cooked and seasoned flat iron, and finishing with a delicious flourless chocolate cake - a yummy and flawless $28 bargain for the 3 courses. Add to this Mal Krinn's excellent breads and some fantastic fries (served with the burger and the steak) that were reminiscent of Central's (my favorite in DC) and you have yourself a spectacular lunch in Tysons. If this lunch was any indication INOX has really hit its stride.

Sorry to say my first experience with Inox this evening was a disappointment. The room was half-full this mid-August Saturday nite, and it seemed like the staff took this as an excuse to give a half-hearted effort. The food was generally good, but not great. Appetizers were fine, as were the main courses. My wife had halibut, that was okay but not as good as she had a week ago at Agraria (those ND farmers sure can do fish!). I had the duo of beef, ordered medium rare but it turned out to be more gray than pink inside. Like the appetizers, both entrees were good, but not in the first tier to which Inox aspires. The service was the major source of my disappointment. When I diner asks for more time to pour over the wine list because he isn't sure what will go well with the entrees being ordered, that's the time to send over the much-ballyhooed somelier. If you are going to feature papa Krinn's bread, then don't offer one thin slice and never come back to see if the diners want their empty bread plates refreshed. Don't forget to ask diners if they want more coffee. Seems pretty simple, but Inox failed tonight on all three counts. Sorry to say that it will be hard for me to justify dragging myself from DC to Tysons again to dine at Inox.

When I diner asks for more time to pour over the wine list because he isn't sure what will go well with the entrees being ordered, that's the time to send over the much-ballyhooed somellier... Don't forget to ask diners if they want more coffee.

You needn’t but ask; it’s a restaurant, not a diner. Assertive trumps passive when clairvoyance is not the special.

Have to disagree with you there. Waitstaff is supposed to be clairvoyant, or at least try to anticipate a diner's needs. Do you really think that at a restaurant with Inox's aspirations I need to ask for a second slice of bread when the first is done? Or a refill of my coffee?

Well, that was fun!!!

We went in last week for a ladies' night of fine dining and catch-up, and because I really wanted to try it out! It's a beautiful place - neutrally luxurious with a few modern details (the stained glass in the front window and the wavy ceiling edge) to keep it from being boring or stuffy, though the light-colored seats and carpeting are certainly brave!!! The dining room is set up and appointed such that conservations can easily be had AND remain private. And yes, it was nice to have a place in Tyson's that we looked forward to visiting!

The food was lovely, with the highlights of the night being the Sweet Yellow Corn Veloute with the Blue Crab-Corn Beignet (beautiful summer soup), Crispy Skate Wing and Day Boat Scallops with Green Asparagus, Potato Confit, Lettuce Emulsion, Fresh Summer Truffles, Cucumbers, Black Radish (the skate was tremblingly perfect on the inside, with a great crispy exterior, and the dressings on this dish blended wonderfully) and the Red Wine Braised Short Rib Ravioli (so rich! so delicious!) accompanying the butter poached lobster. We also had a number of very good dishes, including a large serving of seared? foie gras appetizer and a duck entree. Our favorite dessert was a surprise - a small white chocolate block of something accompanied with mint-chocolate chip ice cream (sorry, the details are escaping me) that was delightful to taste and look at. There was a selection of Mal Krinn's breads to enjoy (we weren't shy about asking for more, though the bread guy seemed to be on pretty steady rotation throughout the room) with a very hearty, deeply yellow butter that I LOVED and ate entirely too much of. A couple of us split a bottle of a nice, light Gerwerstraminer that went very well with our lighter fare and was far too easy to drink even as the courses progressed.

The service was friendly and unobtrusive, though we understood why folks that aren't as food- and detail-crazed as ourselves might find the recital of ingredients (right after they deliver your tables' plates) to be a tad precious (though we liked it). We had a nice chat with Jon Krinn and I really enjoyed the window into the kitchen on the way to the restrooms. Since there is only one of each type (M/F), it gives you something to do during the wait!

All in all, I really think that Inox brings destination dining back to the Tyson's area, something that's been missing for awhile. I can't wait until I get to go back!

Just back from another stellar lunch at INOX. With all respect to the burgers that garner lots of attention on this board (Palena. Central. Hellburger). as well as my own personal downtown fave (The Source), INOX's patty melt is IMO the tastiest and most decadent burger being served in the DC region. The 3 Johns were all buzzing about today and I'm looking forward to returning soon for dinner.

Just back from another stellar lunch at INOX. With all respect to the burgers that garner lots of attention on this board (Palena. Central. Hellburger). as well as my own personal downtown fave (The Source), INOX's patty melt is IMO the tastiest and most decadent burger being served in the DC region. The 3 Johns were all buzzing about today and I'm looking forward to returning soon for dinner.

After reading hmmboy's post on the INOX's patty melt I made sure to stop in and check it out. This burger is simple amazing. It is rich and well balanced. Perfect medium rare. It was a thing of beauty. I enjoyed the tasting menu a few months ago and this patty ranked up there. In fact, the should serve mini patty melts as an amuse.

Anyone have any insight into

1) The odds of getting a bar seat on a Saturday night and

2) Appropriate attire? Although I am on record as favoring swank garb when eating at a swank joint like Inox, the next stop is The North Mississippi All-Stars at the State Theater and soa suit and tie might be a little much, and it's too cold to change in the parking lot.

Anyone have any insight into

1) The odds of getting a bar seat on a Saturday night and

2) Appropriate attire? Although I am on record as favoring swank garb when eating at a swank joint like Inox, the next stop is The North Mississippi All-Stars at the State Theater and soa suit and tie might be a little much, and it's too cold to change in the parking lot.

Wow. Quite a trek down Rt 7 after that dinner. I might have vectored you to Argia's prior to the State Theater. However, I know that the upstairs mens room at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is accommodating enough for a quick change, and you won't have any raised eyebrows by the Inox crowd in the process.

Wow. Quite a trek down Rt 7 after that dinner. I might have vectored you to Argia's prior to the State Theater. However, I know that the upstairs mens room at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is accommodating enough for a quick change, and you won't have any raised eyebrows by the Inox crowd in the process.

As district dwellers, we tend to think that everything on the other side of the river is close to everything else. Think in terms of the New Yorker cover, with Falls Church and Tyson's as Nebraska and Kansas City. Also, we've been meaning to hit Inox forever, and so aren't looking at other places.

Stopped in for lunch today, early actuall 11:15 waited in the bar. The team was gracious and bent over backwards to make sure we were cool until 11:30. Both friend and I ordered the patty melt. It was very good. However, as I was discussing this with another foodie, he pointed out , and i agree, the talent in the kitchen far outshines the patty melt.

Lately I have started to become disillusioned with fine dining; as most meals are starting to feel like something out of either a cooking show audition or a science fair. A recent meal at Volt left me feeling just that the kitchen was trying too hard to astonish their guests with everything but taste. This is not to say that I am against creativity, I actually celebrate it, but only if it rests on a foundation of skilled cooking. So last night I joined a friend at Inox with a bit of misplaced trepidation.

The staff that greeted us was quite gracious and welcoming, which was far more than I can say for the room which struck me as something out of an early 70’s motor lodge. Our waiter and the rest of the wait staff were also charming and professional, especially after having to have several dishes explained to us after the runner had done so just minutes prior. The by the glasses selection of wines were quite limited, but even so the choices were excellent, the Verdicchio was refreshingly light, yet still brought a great level of crisp fruit flavor and the Oregon Pinot Noir was Burgundian in style and body.

The Slow Roasted Dover Sole was served with what amounted to a Gnocchi with Puttanesca where the perfectly roasted sole stood in for the anchovies and artichoke heart for the capers. This is the kind of creativeness that I love, the ingredients formed a chorus of flavors and the cooking technique the perfectly in tune accompaniment.

Our second appetizer were a pair of day boat scallops topped with a small piece of seared foie gras and served with polenta. There used to be a time when I found find day boat scallops exciting, but after too many poorly cleaned and dreadfully cooked examples I have steered clear of them at all but a handful of restaurants. The only reason why I was drawn to this to see how the foie and shellfish would work together and I must say as this dish was prepared it matched perfectly. The foie gras took the place of butter as a means to add fat to the dish and there was only enough of it to lend a bit of robust flavor to the delicate seafood. The grits gave the dish some body and a few scattered lardoons of bacon did what bacon does best. This dish reminded me why diver scallops were once something special.

The final appetizer was a Ballotine of Rabbit, a cooking style and meat that are sadly becoming quite a rare find on menus these days. This is a very deceptive dish, at first glance it looks like slices of turkey breast that have been wrapped around dressing and then topped with a liquid that had been dealt a heavy hand of corn starch, but looks can be deceiving. The meat on the three generously cut slices were delicate, and the stuffing perfectly complimented the flavor while the sauce was a slight reduction of the cooking liquid with no evidence of thickeners. The dish was further enhanced with several small piles of chantrelles and spring vegetables.

Where the Dover Sole was delicate and perfectly balanced with its accompanying ingredients, the Sauteed Alaskan Black Cod was a study in contrasts. The meat was firm and golden with a wonderful crunch, topped with pieces of Dungeness crab and American paddlefish caviar in a bowl of crab consume. The consume seeped into the flesh of the fish overtaking enhancing the rather bland flavor of the cod, and bringing a depth of flavor that is generally not found in such a large filet – my dining companion thought that it overwhelmed the flavor of the fish, but I recall that it was the crab that made him want to order this dish in the first place.

The final dish of the evening was a Trio of Veal. The centerpiece was a piece of seared tenderloin, while it was cooked to medium instead of the requested medium rare it was tender and moist, and had a little more flavor than I was expecting from this cut of meat. The second component was a piece of veal breast, unfortunately this was rather bland and not the best texture – it was also the only piece of protein left on any of our plates. The final veal component were crispy sweetbreads that my dining companion described as tasting like ketchup, but I found them to be savory, and the perfect balance of crispy exterior and creamy center, this is the kind of dish that made me fall in love with offal. The dish was accompanied by mushrooms, baby artichoke, and crawfish along with goat cheese tortellini that provided a great foil for the rich meats on the plate.

This is exactly the kind of meal that I used to happily scrimp, save, and squirrel away for, but over the past decade have become far too hard to find. I would like to thank the three Johns for helping me remember what it was that made me love food so much, it was the skill, and dedication to sourcing quality ingredients that they wish to respect and elevate above and beyond their own egos that make meals like this so memorable, the perfectly executed creativity just made it that much better.

Sounds incredible, Sthitch. I was there for lunch the other day to try out the much ballyhooed patty melt, which is surely a top 5 burger on anyone's list for this area. Your post about the Dover Sole has me thinking we need to go back for a real dinner some time soon.

Per Kliman's Twitter feed:

"Inox in Tysons will be closing tomorrow, according to a trusted source."

And was just rated three stars by Seitsma. Darn shame.

That's gonna suck. We have lunch planned and reserved in a couple of weeks. I did manage to squeeze in a couple of great dinners there.

And this should make it official, from Sietsema on Twitter:

"Sad news: "Tonight is our last night." That's chef Jon Mathieson, telling me that Inox is closing."

Good news break from Todd Kliman. Other lesson: the lady who answer's the phone probably is not your best source for restaurant business questions (Carman).

Yes. I picked up that rumor today, along with the one about Ramsay at the Ritz -- apparently, the Ritz wants more than the Ramsay name, they want him in person, at least doing cameos. And I'm surprised Krinn chose this place in this market. I may have mentioned in a Chima's thread that a friend of mine on the Board at the Tower Club says that every Board meeting deals with the traffic in Tysons and how horrific it will be as they construct the Metro out there, and how no restaurant can survive the combination of traffic snarl and deep recession at the same time.

Too bad. Back on p. 1 of this topic, I noted that a friend of mine on the Board of the Tower Club made the point that this is the absolute wrong time to try to bring high-end dining to Tyson's Corner. Many disagreed, and I'm really sorry to be right on this one, but until Tyson's traffic mess is resolved, and until the economy allows more than just IT executives' expense accounts to support the high-end dining market, Tyson's will remain a restaurant wasteland.

We had reservations for tonight, and got a call letting us know that they'd closed, so it's officially official.

If this is true I am very very sad. Kudos to the 3 Johns and all involved in this effort - you created an exceptional restaurant that got better with every visit. I am really going to miss it.

This is the absolute wrong time for high end dining at Tyson's. Inox, in particular, had a strikingly plain dining room that the first time we were seated were surprised at how little "character" it had. I really believe that the chef never stood a chance; the design and the ambience of the room were awful. Somebody approved this, some one said this was the feel that they were looking for. Incredible that some one should have trusted this opinion; incredible that a room so vanilla, actually so "brown" and totally devoid of character should have been opened for such a talented chef. Regardless of what we thought of the food we were turned off by the room. I am truly sorry that Inox didn't work but I remember walking into the dining room and marvelling that such a plain, nondescript room could be offered to represent a great chef. I don't think it was just the location; the room was a factor, too.

And Tyson's? With its eleven or twelve steak houses? And with the absence of Maestro and now Inox? A wasteland that reminds me that Passion Fish is in Town Center. And the Metro is coming to Reston for access to D. C.

This is the absolute wrong time for high end dining at Tyson's. Inox, in particular, had a strikingly plain dining room that the first time we were seated were surprised at how little "character" it had. I really believe that the chef never stood a chance; the design and the ambience of the room were awful. Somebody approved this, some one said this was the feel that they were looking for. Incredible that some one should have trusted this opinion; incredible that a room so vanilla, actually so "brown" and totally devoid of character should have been opened for such a talented chef. Regardless of what we thought of the food we were turned off by the room. I am truly sorry that Inox didn't work but I remember walking into the dining room and marvelling that such a plain, nondescript room could be offered to represent a great chef. I don't think it was just the location; the room was a factor, too.

Just a hunch, but I wonder if they unwittingly took the rather industrial looking 2941 interior to Inox without the "lake." That essentially means that there are no really good restaurants in McLean/Tysons.

And Tyson's? With its eleven or twelve steak houses? And with the absence of Maestro and now Inox? A wasteland that reminds me that Passion Fish is in Town Center. And the Metro is coming to Reston for access to D. C.

Maybe we could dispense with the "I told you so's" and wish the staff the best of luck. Please remember, people are out of jobs now.

-Craig

How about kudos to the team, that took a risk bet it all and put out great product. Even when this news broke 3 months ago, they kept it together and continued the fight. A group this talented will be showered with opportunities. Every experience is a learning experience, and these guys know enough now to write a book. Best of luck, enjoy your brief time off, wherever you guys resurface, its sure to be packed!

Kind of desolate out there now. My favorite dining choices in the general Reston-Herndon area are really down to Zeffirelli's, PassionFish and El Manantial, with an occasional sushi place here and there. Nothing in Tysons is worth a diversion right now, although whenever I'm trapped there by traffic late in the day I'll gladly hit Lebanese Taverna or Shamshiry. Even wandering farther into McLean there aren't a whole lot of options outside of Tachibana.

Yet, that side of the county generally has some wealth, but not necessarily discernment. Steakhouses and chains appear to be doing well with the young-ish and well-heeled IT crowd, or so it seems....

It is one of the more extraordinary challenges of the restaurant industry that even the best of the best (Thomas Keller, Drew Nieporent, Danny Meyer to name but a few) have opened and subsequently closed restaurants. It wasn't that any of these gentlemen, or the thousands of other restauranteurs like them, lacked the skill, business acumen, or commitment necessary to operate a restaurant successfully. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out. All you can hope for is that the failure of a restaurant doesn't stifle further dreams. It's a tough biz.

I wish nothing but the best to Mssrs. Krinn, Mathieson, and Wabeck. Tomorrow is another day.

I also wish them the best. I also wish them some good counsel and business acumen. When Krinn was at 2941, I suspect that the boorish landlord may have had something to do with his desire to seek another destination. But the choice of Tyson's raised a few eyebrows on this board and elsewhere. Sort of like jumping from a frying pan into a fire. Let's hope the next destination has all the business variables well under control so he can get down to some undistracted food service.

When Krinn was at 2941, I suspect that the boorish landlord may have had something to do with his desire to seek another destination.

Krinn didn't own 2941 and I'm pretty sure he didn't deal with any "boorish" landlords. Perhaps you mean the owner(s) of 2941 are boorish, but how would you know that?

Krinn didn't own 2941 and I'm pretty sure he didn't deal with any "boorish" landlords. Perhaps you mean the owner(s) of 2941 are boorish, but how would you know that?

I'm talking about the building, not the restaurant. At the time Krinn left, it was widely speculated that he had some run-ins with the landlord of the building.

I'm talking about the building, not the restaurant. At the time Krinn left, it was widely speculated that he had some run-ins with the landlord of the building.

So the non-owner executive chef (or whatever his title) had some wildly (and possibly widely, as you allege) speculative run-ins with a landlord, even though he did not own the business (and, I am guessing, was not personally liable on the lease)... Care to be a little more factual with your statements, or at least elaborate on the wide/wild speculation that you were privy to?

So the non-owner executive chef (or whatever his title) had some wildly (and possibly widely, as you allege) speculative run-ins with a landlord, even though he did not own the business (and, I am guessing, was not personally liable on the lease)... Care to be a little more factual with your statements, or at least elaborate on the wide/wild speculation that you were privy to?

You missed the discussion a few years ago. On 09 October 2007 I posted:

A little more intrigue....according to someone in the know, the owner of the property that includes 2941 is a bit of a 'hands-on' sort of person. Whether or not that had anything to do with Jonathan's departure for greener pastures is unknown, but I still have very high expectations for the Boulud chefs coming to the area....

And jpschust immediately responded:

I have heard that more than a few times from those in the know.

These were politely softened statements, as this is a public board, but I then received a few confirmatory private messages from others in the know....

My birthday meal at the Chefs Table at 2941 several years ago, still stands out as my favorite meal. Imagine having Chef Krinn as your personal chef and waiter for the evening. His joy of cooking was so evident. I wish Chef Krinn the best wherever he ends up next.

Daniel

I love that in this time of sadness for SOME of us, there are people out there that would rather beat each other up. How Special!

Truth is, JK’s, Business card from 2941 - said “OWNER” - and even though he wasn't - some might think that he was - cause it said so. So lets dispense with the “who’s got the biggest totem pole” back and forth and just agree that ……..no one really cares about that fight.

The real heartache here, two guys, one wife and one very good friend, poured everything they had into this gem only to see it fall. Both of these guys, like most of you, have kids to feed and a mortgage payment to make. Today – IS A SAD DAY.

As Many of you know from my previous posts – I fought for Inox. Both on this forum and others. I always felt that the critics would play if not a small role in their demise, a substantial one. I never imagined that it would happen this soon. Though the light seemed to get brighter over the last week or so with Tom’s review in the spring dining guide, but it came too late.

I am so sorry today for my friends JK, J&JM, JW, NP & SM! You all deserved better from all of us. ALL OF US!

This is really a shame, and I really do wish the best for a bunch of very talented people. In addition to reduced expense account dinners and Tysons traffic issues, though, it's potentially people like me who contributed to this. I really loved 2941 when Jonathan Krinn was there, and thought nothing of dropping a couple of hundred dolars for a spur of the moment dinner there, doing so on a somewhat regular basis. I was so looking forward to Inox that I made sure I was there on the very first day for the soft opening. That being said, times have changed. I only made it to Inox a relatively few times and while I really enjoyed my meals, I'm much more hesitant to spend that kind of money than I used to be. I'm sure there are others like me and when you add in a road situation that gets worse every day, it seems this was inevitable.

Jonathan worked for me for several years and even we had our differences in the last few years I feel really sad about the closing of his restaurant; I am sure they put a lot of effort and money in this venture. I am sure in the future he will rebound from it.

And this should make it official, from Sietsema on Twitter:

"Sad news: "Tonight is our last night." That's chef Jon Mathieson, telling me that Inox is closing."

Good news break from Todd Kliman. Other lesson: the lady who answer's the phone probably is not your best source for restaurant business questions (Carman).

Well I missed all of this until I dug this thread up. So sad! I never made it there. I hope all of the folks that were there the best. Dang.