Looking for Vietnamese & Maryland-style seafood

StephanieL

I'll be coming to DC between Christmas and New Year's, and I'm looking for recs for 1) Maryland-style seafood and 2) Vietnamese. We'll be staying close to a Metro stop, but we won't be renting a car, so any place has to be within a reasonable walking distance from the Metro (it can still be in MD or VA). Thanks.

I'm not sure if there are any really enthusiastic recommendations for Vietnamese near a metro stop.

People like (or used to like?) Minh's in Arlington, which is close to the Courthouse metro. It's been fine when I've been there, but I didn't get why people were excited about it. Thread here.

There's also Nam-Viet with one location near the Clarendon metro in Arlington and one near the Cleveland Park metro in DC. Thread here.

Does anyone have other ideas? Or on the other request for Maryland-style seafood restaurants?

Eden Center is a long walk from Falls Church Metro. There is a crab shack near the entrance, and it's pretty good.

Taste of Saigon is near the Rockville METRO in Rockville Center. They are fancier than many Vietnamese restaurants, but that reflects the French influence on Vietnamese food. I've always enjoyed my meals there.

Taste of Saigon is near the Rockville METRO in Rockville Center. They are fancier than many Vietnamese restaurants, but that reflects the French influence on Vietnamese food. I've always enjoyed my meals there.

I've eaten there and liked it. I always forget the name of the restaurant unless I see someone else mention it :lol:.

Am looking for a Maryland crab feast. Do those still exist? My mom is coming in a couple of weeks and I was thinking of something along those lines (like an all-you-can-eat?), but don't know where to go even to order an entree of blue crab (or for that matter, I don't even know what's in season anymore).

I think I need a LOT of help today.

went to captain pells in fairfax last saturday. It was great. I got the AYCE option and was prepared for very small crabs. The first tray was true to my expectations but as the evening wore on and we talk up the server (there were a couple of very attractive women at the table that the waiter was talking to and I don't know that this had anything to do with it) but the crabs go bigger. The crabs I had on the last tray were really big and heavy.

Am looking for a Maryland crab feast. Do those still exist? My mom is coming in a couple of weeks and I was thinking of something along those lines (like an all-you-can-eat?), but don't know where to go even to order an entree of blue crab (or for that matter, I don't even know what's in season anymore).

I think I need a LOT of help today.

I've been unimpressed with the crab houses around the city overcooked and overpriced, poorly sourced and some very bizarre sliding scale of sizing) and 'burbs (though used to cook with a guy from QuarterDeck in Arlington, who swears its good) but if youre looking for steamed crabs in a restaurant scenario, I'd point you to either Cantler's in Annapolis or, my family favorite for years, Obrycki's in Baltimore; both of those places are the real deal, with succulent, local crustaceans, good sides, cold beer- well what else do you need? Cantler's edges Obrycki's on ambience, but only because its on the water- wait, make that over the water.

Conversely, you could go down Maine Ave. to the market and have them steam'em for you and eat at home or, my real favorite, get'em live and do it yourself. "Tis a messy and odorours operation however; consider yourself warned.

First time I did it at home, my fiance asked on day 4, "I dont really mind the smell but how long does it usually last?"

I'm not sure if there are any really enthusiastic recommendations for Vietnamese near a metro stop.

People like (or used to like?) Minh's in Arlington, which is close to the Courthouse metro. It's been fine when I've been there, but I didn't get why people were excited about it. Thread here.

There's also Nam-Viet with one location near the Clarendon metro in Arlington and one near the Cleveland Park metro in DC. Thread here.

Does anyone have other ideas? Or on the other request for Maryland-style seafood restaurants?

We live in that area and like both Minh's and Nam Viet. Minh's is good for a little less standard food like shrimp-and-yam-cakes (must-have appetizer). Their pho is not their strong point, and neither are their summer rolls, but many of their dishes are delicious and they have a long menu. I've been told by Vietnamese friends that their food is quite authentic.

Nam Viet is a little more casual looking (though still white-tablecloth), their pho and summer rolls are top-notch, and they excel at standards like pork with rice noodles. I haven't looked around their menu much to see if they have things off the beaten path, as I've been very happy there with the standars.