Banco

The Sazerac

Does anyone know where in DC one can obtain a properly made Sazerac? (An inveterate inebriate friend of mine wants urgently to know.)

Does anyone know where in DC one can obtain a properly made Sazerac? (An inveterate inebriate friend of mine wants urgently to know.)

Firefly was offering them last week to raise money for the Katrina relief effort. They may still have them. Derek or John will probably chime in here.

Edited by mdt

Isn't that the drink that contains absinthe? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else...

Isn't that the drink that contains absinthe?  Maybe I'm confusing it with something else...

Oui. The classic ingredient is Herbsinthe, a Louisiana version of the French original. But a more easily obtainable subsitute works well, such as Pernod, Ricard, etc. (Ironic that the French versions are easier to find.) I wonder how one of the Czech absinthes would taste in this drink.

The other ingredients are Rye Whiskey and Peychaud's Bitters, plus some sugar.

Real quick...freeze and then line an old-fashioned glass with Herbsaint (a cheap pastis-like substance, usually available at Potomac Wine & Spirits on M St. in Georgetown), chill rye, Peychaud bitters, and a bit of syrup, strain into said chilled, lined glass, garnish with a lemon twist.

(Shuffles through fridge...) Bring me a lemon and I'll make you as many of them as you want.

And I think it's entirely reasonable to expand this thread into a lament on the lack of rye whiskey in our fair city's bars.

PS: I spoke at length yesterday with Jeff Kundinger, GM/sommelier of Restaurant Cuvee on Magazine St. in NO's CBD. The restaurant is fine (all the wine is cooked) and they hope to reopen soon, at least to feed the folks working on cleanup and rebuilding. The major roadblock appears to be the reopening of the hotel (the St. James) that surrounds the restaurant. Cuvee's owner, the mercurial Kenny LaCour, was quoted in a story on this morning's AP wire.

Firefly was offering them last week to raise money for the Katrina relief effort.  They may still have them.  Derek or John will probably chime in here.

Yeah, I had one the other week and really enjoyed it. It's fairly strong, and very peachy. Amazing peach scent, too. Not sure if there was herbsaint in it, though; might have been bourbon.

I heard one being discussed, ordered, and tasted at a nearby table at Firefly last week. I'm pretty sure theirs involves peach schnapps and bourbon. Which sounds like a variation on the theme, but maybe not the "properly made" version the original poster was looking for.

Still, I'm pretty tempted to walk over there and try their version...

Jael

I heard one being discussed, ordered, and tasted at a nearby table at Firefly last week. I'm pretty sure theirs involves peach schnapps and bourbon. Which sounds like a variation on the theme, but maybe not the "properly made" version the original poster was looking for.

Still, I'm pretty tempted to walk over there and try their version...

Jael

True enough, perhaps, but it is a tasty beverage in it's own right, and it's for a good cause!

I'm pretty sure theirs involves peach schnapps and bourbon.

I just hear the words "peach schnapps" and I run away screaming. (Doesn't peach schnapps + bourbon = Southern Comfort?)

Thanks for all your suggestions. It'll be fun exploring them!

I really like bourbon. I really like peaches. Neither of them go in a Sazerac.

Oh the purists!

We've created a more, let's say, universal version of the Sazerac for the cause. It's made like a Sazerac only we wash the glass with Peach Schnapps (instead of Pernod, Ricard, Herbsaint, or even some funky Turkish Anisette). We also muddle peaches with the simple syrup, Peychaud and Angostura bitters.

The Peach Sazerac is $12 and half goes to the American Red Cross. It's tasty. And, yes, it's like a more refined Southern Comfort with several layers of Peach (fresh peach, peach syrup, canned peach), some anise (from the Peychaud Bitters) and the tasty, woody-sweet flavor of Woodford Reserve.

If you want a real real one go to Palena. They use Wild Turkey Rye.

I can make you a Bourbon or Cognac Sazerac at Firefly (consequently, both are acceptable subs and Cognac is more real than real--hypereal--in that it was how it was first made).

I used to be able to buy Sazerac Rye at the Montgomery County Liquor store in Bethesda. If you want a really drop-dead delicious, authentic Sazerac cocktail, you gotta make one with Sazerac Rye in a glass rinsed with Pernod. It is the Woodford Reserve of rye whiskeys-- omgod, so smooth, complex and delicious. Also, breathtakingly expensive. I believe it is made in Kentucky despite its Louisiana origins. Alas, they seem no longer to carry it at the MOCO stores. Anyone know where to find it? I have a friend who lived in NO and graduated from Tulane. I used to bring her a bottle of Sazerac as a gift on special occasions. No can do no more until I find it again.

I used to be able to buy Sazerac Rye at the Montgomery County Liquor store in Bethesda. If you want a really drop-dead delicious, authentic Sazerac cocktail, you gotta make one with Sazerac Rye in a glass rinsed with Pernod. It is the Woodford Reserve of rye whiskeys-- omgod, so smooth, complex and delicious. Also, breathtakingly expensive. I believe it is made in Kentucky despite its Louisiana origins. Alas, they seem no longer to carry it at the MOCO stores. Anyone know where to find it?  I have a friend who lived in NO and graduated from Tulane. I used to bring her a bottle of Sazerac as a gift on special occasions. No can do no more until I find it again.

Certainly an expensive Sazerac!

Sazerac is a Buffalo Trace Distillery product, released in limited quantities twice a year and with scattershot distribution. It has no "Louisiana origins" to speak of--it's just a name Ken Weber and the good folks at BT came up with to confuse bartenders across New Orleans (where the stuff is pretty readily available). It's good stuff, no doubt, though maybe a bit too soft, acquiring some of the same characteristics as Scotches that have seen a bit too long in the cask. I bought my bottle in Cambridge, MA recently, for about $45. (At Central Liquors on F St, there's a couple-year-old bottle on the shelf for, I think, $99.99).

Another release is coming soon. Your most likely chance to get it in this area is at the Montgomery County store in Burtonsville. The manager there is a Bourbon nut and gets all kind of stuff the other MonCo stores don't get. (For those of you on more of a budget, he often has Very Old Barton 90 proof, which is excellent, highly complex bourbon at its price point).

Another release is coming soon.  Your most likely chance to get it in this area is at the Montgomery County store in Burtonsville.  The manager there is a Bourbon nut and gets all kind of stuff the other MonCo stores don't get.  (For those of you on more of a budget, he often has Very Old Barton 90 proof, which is excellent, highly complex bourbon at its price point).

Great tip, thanks? Where's the MoCo outlet in Burtonsville?

What are the origins of this drink?

What are the origins of this drink?

Craig came home yesterday with a 1984 copy of "The Commander's Palace New Orleans Cookbook" that he found at a yard sale.

Under the recipe for Sazerac Cocktail, the authors claim that it originated in the Sazerac Bar in the Vieux Carre. "This was an all-male bar, closed now, where men would go after work to do business--and drink. The cocktail is potent, and one is enough.

An impressive presentation, which our bartenders have perfected, is to coat the prechilled old-fashioned glass with Pernod by swirling it in the air and catching it. Don't try it out with your best crystal!"

The recipe calls for Herbsaint or Pernod, 1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey, 1/3 ounce Simple Syrup, 4 dashes Peychaud bitters, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, and a twist of lemon as a garnish.

Okay, so Derek nominates Chantal at Tabard Inn for a good Sazerac; apparently Bourbon has one, too; Palena's knocked my socks off. I'd bet Tom Brown makes a great one. Who else?

I'm no expert on the cocktail, only having had it a few times, but I had a pretty damn good one at Temperance Hall a few months back. Not sure if they're still doing them since they've become the Looking Glass and scaled back on their rye selection.

Acadiana is a great customer of ours, but I would prefer my Saz's less shaken than what appears to be the standard there. But straining it through a sugar cube on an absinthe spoon is a nice touch.

And this is day 67 of "Cork Held Hostage: Where the $*$$ Is The Rittenhouse, Distributor-Man?!"

This was in the PS7 thread, but that was a while ago... So is she still there?

Thank you, Jake. I hope everyone enjoyed. However, her name is Laura. We will try to have her make all Sazeracs, if possible. There's that bit of authenticity that only she lends to the cocktail.