Stone Crabs

This is my first time posting. I live in Old Town Alexandria and enjoy reading the posts and eating out as often as I can. I know that Tom S. mentioned in one of his chats a couple of weeks ago that Capital Grille and Oceanaire are offering Stone Crabs now that they are in season, but does anyone else know of other places they are offered? It would be wonderful if I could find a place closer to home. Thank you!

This is my first time posting. I live in Old Town Alexandria and enjoy reading the posts and eating out as often as I can. I know that Tom S. mentioned in one of his chats a couple of weeks ago that Capital Grille and Oceanaire are offering Stone Crabs now that they are in season, but does anyone else know of other places they are offered? It would be wonderful if I could find a place closer to home. Thank you!

I don't know about restaurants, but I know Slavin's fish market on Glebe Rd usually has them in season. Since they're cooked as soon as they're caught, you'll probably get the same quality from there, at a lower price.

I've found Robogrip pliers do a good job of cracking them open.

I don't know about restaurants, but I know Slavin's fish market on Glebe Rd usually has them in season. Since they're cooked as soon as they're caught, you'll probably get the same quality from there, at a lower price.

Most places crack them before selling them to you, no? I typically order them only when I go home to South Florida, and all the places I know of serve them already cracked...

Most places crack them before selling them to you, no? I typically order them only when I go home to South Florida, and all the places I know of serve them already cracked...
I was going to say something about being able to get them at my mother's kitchen table when I go back home to Hollywood, FL for Thanksgiving, but I didn't want to make anyone jealous.

Mom gets hers from Delaware Chicken Farm. It doesn't look like they are set up for online ordering, but at least they have cracking instructions!

Even though they are cooked on the docks (or even on the boats on the way to the dock), stone crabs are still best as fresh as you can get them. The quality of the ones I've had up here have been been average at best. Whole Foods on P St had them occasionally last year, but two two times I splurged on them I was disappointed: dried out and fairly flavorless. There are several places in the Keys that will overnight fresh claws to you; even with the ridiculous shipping it often works out per pound to be similar to what you can get at retail in DC, but much fresher. This is the place we like to drop in for lunch on Marathon when making the drive south:

http://www.keysfisheries.com/

You can usually get mediums/selects for ~$20/pound when all is said and done if you order in quantity (you can never have enough stone crabs ...). I've been really pleased with them in the past.