Dining in Olney

Heading up to Olney Theatre on Sat night. I am taking my wife to the ballet up there for her birthday and am looking for the top 2 or 3 options for dining close to their or between Wheaton and Olney (if there is something better on the way). Thanks in advance.

Heading up to Olney Theatre on Sat night. I am taking my wife to the ballet up there for her birthday and am looking for the top 2 or 3 options for dining close to their or between Wheaton and Olney (if there is something better on the way). Thanks in advance.

Tabasco at the corner of Norbeck and Georgia is a great tex mex place- love the enchiladas and tres leches cake.

BJ Pumpernickel's deli is still pretty good if you stick the deli classics. Other parts of wide ranging menu are hit or miss. Riccuitis is also good. My father whol lives in Olney liked Al Sospiro Trottoria - never been myself and not sure if it is still open. There is a Mama Lucia's in Olney too - I'm not a big fan, but I know others like this chain. Yet another Italian place in Olney which is pretty good is Bella Notte - my family has been eating there for years (there prices are pretty high for above average Italian though). A fancier option in nearby Brookeville is the Inn at Brookeville Farms - I only ate there once 5 years ago at a wedding, but the food was pretty good.

On a the lighter dessert side, Olney has Yogiberry, a Rita's, and a chocolate shop I can't remember the name of. I heard there is a newish latin american place near Manniquen Pis (which is also pretty good for mussels) - can't remember the name.

These are my suggestions if you are in the area. None are destination places. Overall, Olney still struggles to get good quality restaurants which isn't surpising with Wheaton and Rockville short drives down the road.

BJ Pumpernickel's deli is still pretty good if you stick the deli classics. Other parts of wide ranging menu are hit or miss. Riccuitis is also good. My father whol lives in Olney liked Al Sospiro Trottoria - never been myself and not sure if it is still open. There is a Mama Lucia's in Olney too - I'm not a big fan, but I know others like this chain. Yet another Italian place in Olney which is pretty good is Bella Notte - my family has been eating there for years (there prices are pretty high for above average Italian though). A fancier option in nearby Brookeville is the Inn at Brookeville Farms - I only ate there once 5 years ago at a wedding, but the food was pretty good.

On a the lighter dessert side, Olney has Yogiberry, a Rita's, and a chocolate shop I can't remember the name of. I heard there is a newish latin american place near Manniquen Pis (which is also pretty good for mussels) - can't remember the name.

These are my suggestions if you are in the area. None are destination places. Overall, Olney still struggles to get good quality restaurants which isn't surpising with Wheaton and Rockville short drives down the road.

of note...Bella Notte is no more:

"Angeles-Beron's Latin-American place, scheduled to open Nov. 25, is located just up Georgia Avenue in the former Bella Notte space." (see link above or click here for Tim Carman's column.)

So, I have a new job in Olney. Any good lunch/dinner options that haven't already been mentioned?

You could grab a couple of saltenas or empanadas for lunch from El Antojito. They serve platters too (including Silpancho), but I haven't tried them. They do carryout mostly with one or two tables for eating in. It's a small Bolivian mom & pop place.

You could grab a couple of saltenas or empanadas for lunch from El Antojito. They serve platters too (including Silpancho), but I haven't tried them. They do carryout mostly with one or two tables for eating in. It's a small Bolivian mom & pop place.
Sounds good. Where is it?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Olney has significantly more strip malls than it did 20 years ago -- the last time I spent any significant time here -- and I have no idea what's in any of them. The Ale House is conveniently located right across the street, but recent reports sound wretched.

Pumpernickel's is probably still the best bet in the area for a sandwich at lunch, though you may have to fight the crowds of blue hair to get a table.

El Andariego is decent Salvadorean/Tex-Mex, on 108 @ 650.

There's a Popeye's near Georgia too!

The last time I was at Pumpernickel's, I waited 15 minutes to place an order and finally walked out. Are they any better if you order by phone?

El Andariego is decent Salvadorean/Tex-Mex, on 108 @ 650.
My department took me to lunch there yesterday.

The last time I was at Pumpernickel's, I waited 15 minutes to place an order and finally walked out. Are they any better if you order by phone?

Can't say I ever called in an order at Pumpernickel's. Once you place the order, food comes quickly, and they've been responsive to complaints in the past. I wouldn't have waited 15 minutes!

My department took me to lunch there yesterday.

You didn't comment on the food - was Andariego decent, as memory serves? Probably been 3-4 years since I was there.

You didn't comment on the food - was Andariego decent, as memory serves? Probably been 3-4 years since I was there.
Decent is accurate. A little bland, but the salsa was tasty.
It is located at 18068 Ga. Ave, a couple of doors down from Mannequin Pis. Correction: It is take-out/delivery only, no eat-in. It is closed on Mondays.
Thanks! I may check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip! I looked at it on a map - is that in a big new strip with a Safeway?

I can't keep track of what's been built in Cloverly since the days of Aulette (does anyone remember Aulette?), and when Willie Nelson stopped into the old Cloverly Drug Store to eat at the fountain, and when I used to get my hair cut by Tommy Spiropoulos. The old grungy Safeway was torn down about ten years ago, and was rebuilt in a new shopping center across Cloverly Street (a little side street). The total length of commerce here is less than 1/2 mile, and Kabob n' Karahi is around the side of one of the strip centers. I remember pulling up in front of it with my mom (the day of our horrible lunch at Olney Ale House), but I still haven't been inside other than to grab a menu. I can't imagine you'll have any trouble finding it - I think that when you come south on New Hampshire Avenue from Ashton, it's going to be in the first shopping center on your left, which is before where the new Safeway is.

Cheers,

Rocks.

On 11/10/2008 at 2:40 PM, KeithA said:
A fancier option in nearby Brookeville is the Inn at Brookeville Farms - I only ate there once 5 years ago at a wedding, but the food was pretty good.

My sister had her wedding rehearsal dinner at the Brookeville Inn earlier in the summer and the food was definitely much better than I expected. Maybe a little too much flour in the bisque, and the steak slightly overdone, but the flavors were excellent. Great fruit tart for dessert too.

---

The Manor at Silo Falls (SRJ)