Homemade Infusions, Cordials and Liqueurs

rvanrens

So, I'm finishing bottling Liquid Sunshine (aka Apricot Brandy - add apricots and honey to brandy, infuse for 6 months, filter, bottle, drink), cassis, and a spiced mead. I'm gearing up for ypocras, and I'll probably lay down a hazelnut liquer for bottling next year. In a couple of weeks, sour cherry brandy will be ready, and I'm experimenting with something like Drambuie (Blended Scotch with honey - someone gave me ten or so pounds of thistle honey, and I couldn't resist the obvious paring). I've been thinking about a saahti-style barleywine as well, if I can get hands on the neccessary grain bill - homebrewing beer has gotten expensive. They saahti would be for next Christmas.

Has anybody else been working on something special at home? Beats fudge as a Christmas gift...

I've been thinking about a saahti-style barleywine as well, if I can get hands on the neccessary grain bill - homebrewing beer has gotten expensive. They saahti would be for next Christmas.

There was a bump in grain prices almost a year ago but I haven't seen too many increases since then. Hops are still scarce (I've had to make hop substitutions in several recipes when I couldn't find a particular variety) but again, haven't seen any big price jumps since the shortage first started. The main annoyance is that I can't buy hops in bulk anymore...used to save quite a bit buying by the pound. Buying whole sacks of grain is still a big moneysaver, although maybe not practical if you're just doing a one-off.

Homemade things like that were the theme of this month's Mixology Monday -- which, since it was yesterday, I don't think it's been recapped yet.

I've been thinking of making something recently, probably with the extra bottle of Ri 1 I'll end up with, but we'll have to see.

There was a bump in grain prices almost a year ago but I haven't seen too many increases since then. Hops are still scarce (I've had to make hop substitutions in several recipes when I couldn't find a particular variety) but again, haven't seen any big price jumps since the shortage first started. The main annoyance is that I can't buy hops in bulk anymore...used to save quite a bit buying by the pound. Buying whole sacks of grain is still a big moneysaver, although maybe not practical if you're just doing a one-off.

Yah, malted barley has stabilized, but malted oats and malted rye just keep going up...when you can find them, which isn't always. And roasted or pre-gelatinized isn't they same. I can't get the guy who runs the local homebrew supply to understand the difference between malted and roasted grains - he insists that they are roasted after they are malted, and I keep telling him that those are roasted malts, not the same thing.