Coaches Hoagies Steaks & Pizza, Rockville - Closed.

I had a decent cheesesteak at Coaches' in Rockville this past weekend. They've only been open a couple of months, but it's a very Philly-looking hole in the wall strip-mall sandwich joint. They're on Boiling Brook Parkway in the same shopping center as Kosher Mart (odd pairing...)

The cheesesteaks are pretty decent, they use Amoroso bread, but the steak had a bit too much gristle in it, and they don't have sharp provolone, only regular. Definitely worth going to, but not sure if it's worth the drive (unless you really have the craving). The Italian Hoagie was also really good, pretty close to my favorite from Philly, Lee's.

Stunningly, the pizza was among the best NY-style pizzas I've had in the DC area. Good crust with a good char, sauce not too sweet and sparingly applied, and just the right amount of cheese to generate a touch of grease when you fold the slice over. I need to try it again to see if the consistency is there, but this MIGHT be worth driving across town for...

I was in the neighborhood today, so I had to stop in for a slice or two. I know, by-the-slice isn't the best way to check out a pizzeria, but it's what I'd do if on some of those occasions when I got hungry while walking down a street in Brooklyn :lol:

Unlike most DC-area pizzerias they're clearly going for a NY style with a semi-stiff crust, but otherwise nothing to write home about. My sausage slice was overtopped by any standard, while my pepperoni slice was built inverted...the pepperoni slices were buried under rather too much cheese. The crust should have been thinner also. I'd take it over a chain pizza, but it's not going on my short list. IMHO Cafe Pizzaiolo does a far better NY-style pizza.

Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Went with some co-workers yesterday for lunch. I had an awesome sub-- The Counter Trap. Bologna, salami, ham, capicola and provolone in abundance with just the right amount of vegetation. The pizza was weak though, bearing no resemblance to NY style. It was more like 7-11 style.

I'll be back to try the steak & cheese.

I picked up a pizza Friday night, Xtra large (18 inches), plane. For $12, it was worth it; I'd have it again. Closer to NY style then any local options. The crust could have been a little less crispy for my taste, more foldable. I'll have to try the subs next time after the positive words here.

Went back for more today. Had a steak and cheese with provolone, hot peppers and grilled mushrooms and onions. The mushrooms kinda ruined it for me-- they didn't taste very fresh and that overly earthy mushroom flavor permeated the sandwich. Also, the peppers weren't evenly distributed throughout. The last bite seemed to contain 75% of them.

Still, I dig the bread and the meat was good. I'll know how to order better next time.

I'm curious about the other restaurants over there. Glatt Chinese? Indian? Is any of it good?

Is this where Manny's used to be? Or even in the same shopping center?

I think Mannys was right where Coaches and whatever is to the left of Coaches (facing the building) is. They must have split the space into two units. I never ate there, but knew the place since I saw my cousin's metal band play there, long, long ago.

im the manager at COACHES' sorry that everyone didnt have the greatest experience at our store but im working on improving any flaws that people are noticing and i hope yall come back again and thanks for the remarks but youve gotta admit nobody does sandwiches like we do, especially not the portions , thanks again

nobody does sandwiches like we do, especially not the portions

Actually, I wouldn't mind a slightly smaller (and more drained from grease) portion on the cheesesteaks, as the bun has totally disintegrated on my last couple of steaks!

But this Philly boy says keep doing what you're doing...taste of home for me.

im the manager at COACHES' sorry that everyone didnt have the greatest experience at our store but im working on improving any flaws that people are noticing and i hope yall come back again and thanks for the remarks but youve gotta admit nobody does sandwiches like we do, especially not the portions , thanks again
RIP. I tried calling in an order and the phone rang and rang until it finally went to voicemail. So a couple of us drove over to grab some subs.

A peer through the window revealed a stripped store. Coaches threw a Hail Mary. Incomplete, game over.

I'm not surprised - it was always empty whenever I went.

jedimiz056 - if you're still around - can you share what went down?