The Counter, A California-Based Burger Franchise

What's the buzz on The Counter? Has anyone on the board experienced other The Counters?

Beef burgers cooked medium unless requested otherwise. Good selection of toppings. I've heard… lamb burgers will be offered.

Website

I ate at the one in Palo Alto some time ago. It had a sleek and hip but friendly vibe. I can't remember the details of the burger, except that the sauce I chose for it -- I think it was the peppercorn steak sauce, but am not sure -- was impossibly watery. It rendered the burger somewhat difficult to eat until I figured I just had to use it as a dipping sauce. I do recall liking the burger generally. (I believe I took it medium.) (Note, however, that I don't often run across a burger I don't like.)

I have been to the location in Reston many times. They may have franchised, but I don't think quality has been sacrificed. Made to order with many options given the customization that you can do. Choice of beef, turkey, chicken or veggie. Fries and rings are tasty as well. Beer selection is great as well. Plus, to top it off, Pitango Gilato is right next door. Only complaint is that service has been off at times.

My husband and SIL both love the veggie burger. Give it a try.

(thread merge...)

We had the veggie burgers on multigrain buns for lunch today. They were very good. My SO added goat cheese spread, avocado, cucumbers, and carrot strings. She liked everything but the goat cheese spread which was too thick. I built mine with carrot strings, cucumbers, roasted red peppers, and grilled onions. It was my fault for adding grilled onions, because they fought with the other toppings. Raw red onion slices woud have been a better choice. The veggie burger, as far as we could tell, contained lentils, corn, red pepper, and garlic powder. Neither the burgers nor the huge buns were overly salty. We passed on the garlic aioli sauce--served in a separate container--because it looked very heavy and loaded with calories. Service was friendly and efficient. The place was busy but not packed. The annoyingly loud music emanated from a very nice BOSE system hung from the ceiling. I'm a bit surprised that they have just one location in the area.

Been to the Reston Town Center location a few times, and I've never been disappointed. One of the few burger places in the area that takes your temperature preference seriously every single time. Only advice I can give is that you don't HAVE to load the burger up with toppings, and if you decide to do so, do NOT get the 2/3-1lb options as you will end up eating your burger with a knife and fork. Their idea of "bacon" is finely diced super-crispy bacon "bits" (though I'm rather certain you can ask for more classic styles of bacon) which ensure nearly every bite you take has the flavor come with it, and leaves you with delightful bits left over on the plate which are perfectly sized for dabbing at with a moist finger.

Only downside is, while the burgers are decently priced for the quality which you receive, the liquor is *not*. I felt like a nice shot of Glenfiddich one night after work, and smartly inquired as to the price per shot before ordering. When the guy shot back with a smiling but wholly serious reply of "fourteen bucks," I went with Coke. It was basic 12yo Glenfiddich as well, nothing special. :mellow:

Been to the Reston Town Center location a few times, and I've never been disappointed. One of the few burger places in the area that takes your temperature preference seriously every single time. Only advice I can give is that you don't HAVE to load the burger up with toppings, and if you decide to do so, do NOT get the 2/3-1lb options as you will end up eating your burger with a knife and fork. Their idea of "bacon" is finely diced super-crispy bacon "bits" (though I'm rather certain you can ask for more classic styles of bacon) which ensure nearly every bite you take has the flavor come with it, and leaves you with delightful bits left over on the plate which are perfectly sized for dabbing at with a moist finger.

Only downside is, while the burgers are decently priced for the quality which you receive, the liquor is *not*. I felt like a nice shot of Glenfiddich one night after work, and smartly inquired as to the price per shot before ordering. When the guy shot back with a smiling but wholly serious reply of "fourteen bucks," I went with Coke. It was basic 12yo Glenfiddich as well, nothing special. :mellow:

We ordered the 1/3 lb burgers and could barely finish them. Inasmuch as we were there for lunch, we didn't pay attention to the booze prices.