A Wish List Of Sorts

Waitman

Perhaps, at this very moment...

Cases of wine are piling up on the docks of Bordeaux and in the warehouses of Florence, Beaune and St. Helena, as brokers, speculators and producers watch the prices of the world's best wines drift back to earth...

Mid-level restaurants are considering dropping entree prices back under $30, maybe even $25, while owners of establishments calling themselves "bistros" or "cafes" consider pricing their offererings as though they actually were bistros or cafes...

Banks have decided there are quite enough branches on city streets for the moments, forcing landlords so drop rents and offer space to restaurants who will in turn have more leeway to price their offerings as though they were bistros or cafes (or trattorias or cantinas...).

Restaurateurs are deciding not to mortgage their future to Adamstein and Demetriou and entice diners with their food and value rather than their banquets and etched glass, thus allowing them to price their offerings....

Diners are deciding that dining out is important, but that they'll put off the truffles and dry-aged porterhouses for the moment in favor of vegetables, offal, crepinettes and the like, and those too-often neglected culinary avenues will appear more often, more creatively on more menues...

Chefs are honing up on their crepinettes and putting the truffles on hold, raising the general skill level on lower-cost preparations in ways that will linger (as with lower lease costs) when the economy turns up...

Since chefs are buying fewer truffles, the price of truffles at Balducci's is dropping...

More wines of personality and class are becoming available in the shops for $10 and in restaurants for $20; more truly excellent wines are becomeing available for $25 and $50....

The Ray's model is catching on...

The price of a martini is dropping back to single digits...

And, for those odd moments when the future seems momentarily secure, reservations at CityZen are easier to get...

Bravo. Especially the bit about the truffles. I'm going to go back and savor that passage again. :lol:

Man I hope crepinettes make a comeback. Maybe I'll be able to find caul fat again.

I've had caul fat several times very recently - two that I can remember are the country terrine at La Chaumiere, and the pan-roasted venison at New Heights. I'm certain I've seen it at least once or twice more in the past couple of months, but I can't remember where.

Cheers,

Rocks