We stayed at the Blue Horizon Hotel https://bluehorizonhotel.com/, dining at places that were within walking distance:

Joe Forte's is on Eater's list of essential Vancouver restaurants. We went there to enjoy northwest seafood (king salmon, halibut, etc) prepared in a manner that let the fresh ingredients shine. Oh, and oysters too. I ate so many oysters on this trip and enjoyed sampling the west coast offerings. The atmosphere reminds me of a traditional DC steak and seafood house, with lots of wood paneling, waiters in white jackets, and a pianist playing schlocky music. There were even a few parties wearing suits and ties.

Miko Sushi is a casual spot at 1335 Robson where we had a very good lunch. My nigiri were beautifully prepared and of higher quality than I would expect relative to price. Service was very warm. Apparently a lot of hockey players, both local and visiting, have dined there as evidenced by their signatures and compliments to the staff adorning the walls.

Kingyo Izakaya http://www.kingyo-izakaya.ca/ on Denman was lively and a lot of fun. Service was excellent. Our waitress even accompanied us to the front door and held it for us when we were leaving. When was the last time that happened? We had a variety of items from the specials menu. I don't recall everything (must have been the sake) but the tuna sashimi and the smoked sockeye salmon collar were standouts.

In general, this neighborhood, stretching along Robson from Bute to Denman and along some of the side streets has a number of Japanese and Korean restaurants worth exploring.

CinCin Italian is also recommended https://cincin.net/. They have a wood-fired grill and someone knows how to use it to good effect. Grilled octopus served over greens was tender, nicely dressed and a very generous portion of octopus (not just little tentacles). My grilled whole branzino was perfect: the skin was crisp and the flesh moist (something I never manage to accomplish at home).

On 9/25/2018 at 4:57 PM, dwt said:

Joe Forte's is on Eater's list of essential Vancouver restaurants. We went there to enjoy northwest seafood (king salmon, halibut, etc) prepared in a manner that let the fresh ingredients shine. Oh, and oysters too. I ate so many oysters on this trip and enjoyed sampling the west coast offerings. The atmosphere reminds me of a traditional DC steak and seafood house, with lots of wood paneling, waiters in white jackets, and a pianist playing schlocky music. There were even a few parties wearing suits and ties.

We also went to Joe Forte's.  We had planned to get the seafood platter but Mr. BLB wasn't up for it.  He didn't like his snapper.  I discovered (and confirmed while in Alaska) that I don't really like halibut.  BL-6th grader loved his salmon and was mad we didn't get one of the seafood platters. So we left vaguely disappointed but I think that was more about us than the restaurant....

On 9/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, dwt said:

We stayed at the Blue Horizon Hotel https://bluehorizonhotel.com/, dining at places that were within walking distance:

50 minutes ago, bookluvingbabe said:

We also went to Joe Forte's.  We had planned to get the seafood platter but Mr. BLB wasn't up for it.  He didn't like his snapper.  I discovered (and confirmed while in Alaska) that I don't really like halibut.  BL-6th grader loved his salmon and was mad we didn't get one of the seafood platters. So we left vaguely disappointed but I think that was more about us than the restaurant....

We stayed at the Blue Horizon way back in 2008(!!) and loved its location. We had our engagement dinner at Joe Forte's on that same trip. It was clubby , nice, festive, and close-by, with wonderful service, and we expected it to be there in case we wanted to come back in the future. The food was good but not particularly memorable for Vancouver - I recall mostly very fresh fish and the warm atmosphere/service, but we expected that going in based on reviews so were happy with our visit and choice.  Good to hear that it is still there and the experience sounds very much the same.

6 hours ago, Sundae in the Park said:

The food was good but not particularly memorable for Vancouver

You nailed it with that phrase. I'm glad to have dined there, but would not do so on a return visit.

And I did not sufficiently praise the Blue Horizon hotel. I was surprised at how nice and large our room was. The workout facility was decent. And the location was ideal for us. I think bang for the buck was spot on.