Taylor Gourmet Deli, Local Sub Chain in Numerous Area Locations - All Stores Are Closing

Love having a Taylor Gourmet so close to my house in Merrifield, but I'm getting less and less enchanted by it. 1) I can't seem to get any vinegar flavor on a sandwich no matter how much I stress "extra vinegar". Now I either bring my own or ask for a cup of red wine vinegar when I pick up the 'wich at the counter. 2) There's so little sharp provolone on these subs that I sometimes go a whole sandwich without getting that sharp bite. 3) I have an issue with dry subs and these guys are a struggle for me.

Up-thread there was some controversy about which was better, Primo's or Taylor Gourmet. Now that I've sampled both (several times!) I'll vote for Primo's. Having said that, I wish Charles Steak & Ice were in Merrifield because I thought that chicken sub beat them both.

I can only speak for the H Street location, but I did feel about a year or so ago that the quality of their product had declined rather substantially. The past few visits, however, we've been very pleased with their sandwiches. The bread is still not as good as it was when they first opened, but the sandwich as a whole is still fantastic.

2) There's so little sharp provolone on these subs that I sometimes go a whole sandwich without getting that sharp bite. 3) I have an issue with dry subs and these guys are a struggle for me.

Same experience -- glad it's not just me. Thought maybe they were just shorting the ingredients on the "free hoagies" on opening day, but all of the roast pork sandwiches (Washington, Girard, and Pattison Ave.) are redolent only of the pork and greens or peppers, with nary a taste of cheese to be had. Tony Luke's may need to go back in the Philly rotation.

I had an excellent (almost perfect) Vine Street Expressway (chicken cutlet, prosciutto, pesto, sharp provolone) for lunch today. What kept it from being perfect is that it was a bit high in sodium for me. You know that from simply reading the menu - all of these ingredients are pretty salty on their own - so when you add them all together, it turns out to be more salty than I like. In the future I may go with the grilled chicken instead of the breaded chicken or maybe get it without the prosciutto, which gets kind of lost in the mix. In the end though, it really was a great sandwich.

In the end though, it really was a great sandwich.

Nevertheless, Taylor needs to dial down the sodium if they want to have any legitimate stake in the health game *at all*. It's easily enough done over the long term, so if they don't do it, it means they don't care.

Had a sandwich today (cutlet, red peppers, Gorgonzola) and the bread seemed very different to me. It was actually soft and flexible. Have I been getting stale bread or have they changed bread again? Personally, I preferred this bread to all the other sandwiches I've had at the new Mosaic store.

I was in the Penn Qtr. location again today, and I couldn't help but notice the cups and take-away bags carried the 'Taylor Charles Steak and Ice' branding.  I'm probably reading too much into this, but could the Taylor hoagie shops start offering their cheesesteaks?

I haven't really had a chance to fully explore yet, but they updated their menu a few weeks ago.  Not that I have anything against sandwiches with "garlicky spinach," kale or avocado, but I feel like the Taylor guys keep moving further (changing roll suppliers) and further (wheat rolls, kids meals) away from their original concept and product, which was awesome.

I feel like the Taylor guys keep moving further (changing roll suppliers) and further (wheat rolls, kids meals) away from their original concept and product, which was awesome. 

2008: "The Italian bread, crusty on the outside, light and chewy on the inside, is delivered daily from Sarcone's, a fifth-generation Philadelphia bakery...  [and] provolone that has aged for 18 months."

2013: Years since Sarcone's.  Instagram photos mugging with Sysco house-brand provolone.

(on an on day it's still a damn good sandwich, but don't waste your time with the 'sweet provolone' - sub it out.  you're paying $11 for this hoagie, have some dignity)

• Like 1

2008: "The Italian bread, crusty on the outside, light and chewy on the inside, is delivered daily from Sarcone's, a fifth-generation Philadelphia bakery...  [and] provolone that has aged for 18 months."

2013: Years since Sarcone's.  Instagram photos mugging with Sysco house-brand provolone.

(on an on day it's still a damn good sandwich, but don't waste your time with the 'sweet provolone' - sub it out.  you're paying $11 for this hoagie, have some dignity)

All, I just wanted you to know that I got a very nice note from Taylor Gourmet explaining that 2013 photo:

Hey Don -

Good morning!

Just wanted to let you and Adam (who tweeted to us then went to your blog) - the provolone in question was a sample.  We don't use that product. 
We'd be happy to send you some of our provolone - our walk-ins are open!! 
Also, we were having some fun with our employee Luis - who asked to be on instagram so his Mom could see him at his job.
Felt is was necessary to reach out and let you know.
Happy Thanksgiving!

So the provolone in the picture is not used at Taylor, and it was all just a joke. In particular, I'd like to thank Taylor for addressing this with good-will and humor. They deserve a "Like" for the way they handled this.

Cheers,
Rocks
  • Like 2

I did a quick trip to the Mosaic district today at lunch to run an errand.  I have never been exposed to any of the Taylor locations prior to this, but it was lunch time, and I needed to grab something on my way back to the office.  In reviewing the menu board, (and the backs of the employee's shirts), it was obvious that these guys had Philly roots...I was looking forward to a good hoagie.  Not a sub, not a sandwich, but a "Philly-style hoagie" which is something completely different.

This isn't a discussion of what showed up ON my roll..it's a discussion OF my roll.  Maybe these guys are really from Jersey, where this type of crusty roll (mius the sesame seeds) is prevalent...but a REAL Philly hoagie is ONLY served on Amoroso rolls.  These rolls are soft crusted.  They do NOT flake, they are not crunchy, and they NEVER make your jaw tired trying to chew them.  Please don't call it a "Philly-style" hoagie, and please don't name it after a Philly institution, if you're not going to put it on a Philly roll.

• Like 2

It's gotten worse recently. We'll still go because it's good and pretty close, but this is no longer a great sandwich. The bread is mediocre. I'm not thrilled.

Gotta agree with this; the last few sandwiches there have been very underwhelming. And the last order I had of the risotto balls, which I used to think were terrific, were mushy (even if they looked outwardly perfect).

I did a quick trip to the Mosaic district today at lunch to run an errand.  I have never been exposed to any of the Taylor locations prior to this, but it was lunch time, and I needed to grab something on my way back to the office.  In reviewing the menu board, (and the backs of the employee's shirts), it was obvious that these guys had Philly roots...I was looking forward to a good hoagie.  Not a sub, not a sandwich, but a "Philly-style hoagie" which is something completely different.

This isn't a discussion of what showed up ON my roll..it's a discussion OF my roll.  Maybe these guys are really from Jersey, where this type of crusty roll (mius the sesame seeds) is prevalent...but a REAL Philly hoagie is ONLY served on Amoroso rolls.  These rolls are soft crusted.  They do NOT flake, they are not crunchy, and they NEVER make your jaw tired trying to chew them.  Please don't call it a "Philly-style" hoagie, and please don't name it after a Philly institution, if you're not going to put it on a Philly roll.

If my recollection is correct, they used to drive up to Philly to get their rolls from Sarcone's.  (Search isn't working.)

I've had their 9th street italian twice now in two weeks. It is good, but not exceptional. I think they are skimping on the meats and cheese. The bread is not as amazing as it was maybe 2-3 years ago, but it is still quite toothsome and delicious.

Went to the 14th St location last week. Got a regular meatball, chips and a drink - $10.50. The hoagie was about 4", room temperature and the two meatballs tasted only of raw garlic. Kicking myself for being too lazy to walk the extra blocks to G.

I had essentially their chicken parm from Ballston location.  I got cutlet and the cutlet I think made the rest of the sandwich a bit dry.  It was good, it just could have been better maybe with a bit more sauce, but then it would be a messy sandwich and I think they were trying to avoid that.  I think if I wanted that sandwich again I would get it with grilled chicken.  Matt got the cutlet sandwich with pesto, roasted red peppers, pepperoni and I forget the type of cheese.  He said his was really good.  It looked good.  I kind of wanted to switch halves with him, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.  I do like the side kale salad with oven roasted tomato that comes with the meal though.  It has really nice flavors, very refreshing.

Menu at the Penn Qtr. location says they will start offering cheesesteaks October 1.  Will be interesting to see how they handle the cheesesteak prep with their normal sub operations.  Also offering "soft rolls" now...not quite sure what that means.  A few new menu options too by the looks of it, but I didn't have a chance to linger too long.

My trusty Vine Street Expressway never leads me wrong, but the pesto on the sandwich lacked any punch and I've better out of the jarred pesto offered by Costco.  It seems like their quality has been trending downward for years now, and I always find something new to be slightly disappointed in, but yet I still return, and it is still the best sandwich in my work 'hood.

I was in the Penn Qtr. location again today, and I couldn't help but notice the cups and take-away bags carried the 'Taylor Charles Steak and Ice' branding.  I'm probably reading too much into this, but could the Taylor hoagie shops start offering their cheesesteaks?

I haven't really had a chance to fully explore yet, but they updated their menu a few weeks ago.  Not that I have anything against sandwiches with "garlicky spinach," kale or avocado, but I feel like the Taylor guys keep moving further (changing roll suppliers) and further (wheat rolls, kids meals) away from their original concept and product, which was awesome.

Thanks to an article highlighting some of Taylor's seasonal offerings, I hit the Mosaic Taylor on Saturday and tried the Reading Terminal, which is pepper-crusted roast beef, provolone, sautéed onions, with jus for dipping.

My touchstone for a sandwich like this is the one I had at Defonte's in NYC. Taylor's really doesn't come close. It's pretty good, and I like their rolls, but it's nothing you should go out of your way for.

Went to Taylor on H a couple weekends ago for the first time in a while. Tried two of the newer (I think) sandwiches - Pine Valley Country Club (Turkey, bacon, cherry pepper mayo, pesto, parm) and Catharine Street (turkey, jalapeno apricot jam, brie, bacon, and arugula).

As others have said, I liked Taylor a lot at the beginning, but found the quality dropping off the last few visits. Sandwiches seemed drier than they should be and just not that great. In terms of the dryness, these two sandwiches didn't have that problem. And both had a lot of flavor from the different toppings. I would recommend both and would order both again in the future. The Country Club had a bit of a kick from the mayo, as did the Catharine from the jam, but neither was overhwelmingly hot.

We also tried the Butternut Squash Salad (squash, craisins, pecans, green onion, apple cider vinaigrette) and liked that as well. I feel like it's a steep price on it's own, but as part of the meal deal with a drink is a good deal. Nice alternative to chips or risotto balls (they also have a slaw and potato salad).

Finally, maybe the best thing from this trip, was the kid's meal we got for our daughter. You can get a plain grilled cheese or add turkey at no extra charge. And it comes with applesauce and apple juice or soda. The sandwich was huge (I think it was one of their new soft rolls, so basically a full sized sandwich) and we ended up taking half home and it was still good the next day. I would honestly consider ordering this for myself in the future. The applesauce was a no sugar added version, which was appreciated. And this was all for $3.99. Can't complain!

• Like 4

As others have said, I liked Taylor a lot at the beginning, but found the quality dropping off the last few visits. Sandwiches seemed drier than they should be and just not that great. In terms of the dryness, these two sandwiches didn't have that problem.

Are they reading this forum? I was on the "too dry" bus, also, but both sandwiches we tried today didn't have that fault. Mrs DrX had the aforementioned Catherine St but she asked for it without the apricot jam. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and, unfortunately, we didn't notice until we got home. She's not a fan on sweet items on her sammie, so she wasn't a fan. I had a new menu item, too, called the Passyunk Ave, which was pastrami with a "cherry pepper dijonaise". I definitely wasn't dry, so I was happy with that, but it was very salty which I guess is a hallmark of heated pastrami sandwiches as Red Apron's porkstrami sandwich is also a salt bomb. Overall, both sandwiches were good and would probably be ordered again.

On another note, though, we were two of 3 customers in the Mosaic store at 12:10 on Sunday. Cava Mezze was busy and the new Good Food (or something like that) was packed. Is competition in the area confirming what the trend here seems to be hinting at - that Taylor is on a downward trend?

On another note, though, we were two of 3 customers in the Mosaic store at 12:10 on Sunday. Cava Mezze was busy and the new Good Food (or something like that) was packed. Is competition in the area confirming what the trend here seems to be hinting at - that Taylor is on a downward trend?

The Taylor outpost in my neighborhood, on 14th St., definitely sees just a small fraction of the crowds it had when it opened...

Ok so the Memphis Raines sandwich is soo good.  If there is a snow day tomorrow I might go back for another.  I like the hot sauce paired with the kale and gorgonzola dressing.  It is spicy and cool and crunchy and warm.  It is the best way I have ever had the fried chicken cutlet at Taylor.

I came up with a theory today that I will be testing out.  My theory is that regular size subs here are much tastier than large ones.  I often get a large hoagie, since it's only a couple dollars more and save half for another meal.  (As a lawyer I often get caught working and don't have time to just stop and eat so I think about these things.)  But after having a really good Memphis Raines, today I got a large one and the flavors were still awesome but it was over saucy and super messy.  I think the large size throws off the proportions, it was also lunch rush when I went in today.  I had that happen another time I got a large version of a sub I liked in the past.  Anyway I don't really know that I can accurately test this theory as I don't go that often, but it's one that came across my brain.  

• Like 1

Given how hit-and-miss my past few visits to Taylor have been (H Street location), I was surprised how solid the late lunch was that Bob and I had today. They have a number of new offerings on the spring menu that sounded tempting so we split an order of the seasonal risotto balls (with roasted corn, chives, and bacon added to the usual mix) and a regular Castor sandwich (pork, peppered ham, French's mustard, sharp provolone, pickles) on a soft roll. Both were the best items I've had there in some time; the balls were far less greasy than the last time ordered the regular type, and the additions were tasty but not overwhelming. In my experience, the pork sandwiches are the best, and this had a nice picnic-y taste to it; the soft roll works well with this combo (and was less stale-tasting than the hard rolls can be at times). I could never give Taylor props for consistency, but when they're on, they're a pretty good, reasonably priced option.

• Like 3

I had a Memphis Rained last night, it was really sloppy too much dressing and that made it not really as pleasant to eat.  I did take out, which probably added to the sloppiness.  I love the flavor profile, but it just needs a careful balance with all the sauce.

There are two things I will not tolerate in a restaurant, and will cause me to never return to a restaurant -- well, maybe a few more than two things -- but of my major pet peeves, one of them is ear-splitting noise, and the other is grit in any food.

Had the Seger kale salad at the 19th Street location today, and the kale was loaded with grit. Whether it's kale, spinach, clams or whatever, grit in food is an absolute indicator that the kitchen's attention to detail and consideration of its guests is not good. How hard can it be to rinse the product, or dunk it, or shake it in a container of water, and then spin it? Rinse and repeat. I will not return.

There are two things I will not tolerate in a restaurant, and will cause me to never return to a restaurant -- well, maybe a few more than two things -- but of my major pet peeves, one of them is ear-splitting noise, and the other is grit in any food.

Had the Seger kale salad at the 19th Street location today, and the kale was loaded with grit. Whether it's kale, spinach, clams or whatever, grit in food is an absolute indicator that the kitchen's attention to detail and consideration of its guests is not good. How hard can it be to rinse the product, or dunk it, or shake it in a container of water, and then spin it? Rinse and repeat. I will not return.

They might be worried that if they soak the Seger kale it will bob.

• Like 3

There's a new Taylor Gourmet coming to Crystal City. I just saw the signs today, but I was away all of last week so they might have been up then too. It's on Crystal Drive in the spot where the Corner Bakery was (and just closed). Between Jaleo and Good Stuff Eatery. The signs say, "Coming Winter 2015", and there are workmen working there now.

Interesting to note that in the last few years that small section of Crystal Drive has had Good Stuff, We the Pizza, and (soon) Taylor Gourmet open up. Meanwhile, in the Crystal City underground, stores are going out of business all the time, including a Hallmark store and a McDonalds!! I didn't think McDonalds ever went out of business!

Is this really a six-year thread bump? In any event, I got a "Federal" Italian hoagie from Taylor yesterday evening, let it sit overnight in the fridge and had it for lunch today. It was perfectly fine.

Any better sandwiches in the vicinity of the White House?

On 4/15/2016 at 1:38 PM, Bob Wells said:

Is this really a six-year thread bump? In any event, I got a "Federal" Italian hoagie from Taylor yesterday evening, let it sit overnight in the fridge and had it for lunch today. It was perfectly fine.

Any better sandwiches in the vicinity of the White House?

No, it was a 8 month thread bump, maybe it just looked off with the new system?  Anyway Memphis Raines is back... I might have to go get one.

• Like 1

I had my first Taylor Gourmet sandwich this past September at National while waiting for a flight.  I ordered the Patterson and really enjoyed it.  Last weekend, I ordered another Patterson at the H Street location.  This time was very different.  It was extremely greasy and overly spicy, sort of smokey/salty tasting. 

Is this normal?  Do the sandwiches vary this much from store to store?

On 4/20/2016 at 10:04 AM, mcbriden said:

I had my first Taylor Gourmet sandwich this past September at National while waiting for a flight.  I ordered the Patterson and really enjoyed it.  Last weekend, I ordered another Patterson at the H Street location.  This time was very different.  It was extremely greasy and overly spicy, sort of smokey/salty tasting. 

Yes.

On 4/20/2016 at 10:04 AM, mcbriden said:

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Yes.

Quality doesn't just vary from location to location, but even at one location quality varies from day to day. I live by the City Vista location and have a like/disdain relationship with that Taylor location. I have had good sandwiches as of late so it is on my good side and but I know it's only a matter of time before a disappointing experience that will make me take it out of my rotation for months before desperation leads me to ordering a sandwich there again.