Mobility and Parking Friendly Restaurants in Virginia

Anonymouze

I am looking for restaurants that are both mobility friendly (ramps/easy walk in no big stairs) and with valet parking or parking within a block or less. Not just for myself but also others who are using canes, wheel chairs, walkers or are unable due to temporary or permanent disabilities to dine in that is delicious yet is not a "Drive-thru" or diner or in a "bad area" for mobility/accessibility.

Curiously, there seems to be an inverse ratio between fanciness and accessibility. Any of the Chinese or Korean places in shopping centers will do. Most of them have handicap spots available to those with stickers, but even if you miss out on those, parking is reasonable on the lots. If you hanker for Vietnamese food, forget about Eden Center, it's a parking mess, but the new Four Sisters location is OK. For Argentine grillada, Victor's Grill. All the places associated with hotels, of course, have garages or valets. Thai Square on Columbia Pike is hit or miss for access, but if you go close to 6 you're OK. The two Ray's on Wilson have handicap spots. I don't know of anyplace in Old Town where parking is reliable. Restaurant Eve is bad. The answer for those places is taxis. Some of the restaurants mention parking on their websites. An ancillary problem has to do with being taken on a marathon hike to the rear of the joint -- amazing how often that happens. But rocks has a good list of Virginia restaurants, and all you have to do is call. At the same time, you may sensitize the staff to your needs.

As someone with variable/questionable walking ability myself, as well as a handicap parking permit, I'm starting to pay more attention to this issue. One thing I've learned is that the handicap parking spaces are not always in the best location relative to my destination. Because most parking in Old Town Alexandria is street parking, and many of the sidewalks are kind of uneven, that can be problematic.

I concur on Four Sisters for ease of access, except that from the curb cut at the corner to the entrance one must navigate around a landscaping element, which annoys me. Also in Merrifield, Jasmine Garden and Pho Cyclo are quite accessible, although the latter doesn't seem to allow enough room between their tables for a wheelchair, so I would avoid the lunch rush. Blue Duck Tavern seems quite accessible to me, with valet parking.

I love Restaurant Eve, but I have to be up for a hike to get there if I'm dining alone and parking the car. Same for Vermillion and The Majestic. I love Komi, and I am willing to struggle up their front steps for a special occasion, but they are not WC accessible.

It's also important to check restroom access. The RRs at The Majestic and DC Coast, for example, are down a flight of stairs, with no elevator in evidence. Mike's American Grill, in Springfield, has an elevator and accessible parking. Gamasot, also in Springfield, is in a shopping center with accessible parking.

This is all off the top of my head, but as I think of or see more places, I'll try to add them.

I wonder if there's a way to mark accessible restaurants in the Dining Guide?

It's also important to check restroom access. The RRs at The Majestic and DC Coast, for example, are down a flight of stairs, with no elevator in evidence.
As I recall, Corduroy's restrooms are now up a flight of stairs. The restrooms at Eve are also upstairs.

As I recall, Corduroy's restrooms are now up a flight of stairs. The restrooms at Eve are also upstairs.

I thought so too initially, but there is a beautiful and large bathroom on the first floor between the kitchen and the Bistro (basically at the bottom of the stairs where the bathrooms are) at Eve.

I thought so too initially, but there is a beautiful and large bathroom on the first floor between the kitchen and the Bistro (basically at the bottom of the stairs where the bathrooms are) at Eve.
I'll have to remember to ask about that when I get there again. The only place I ever saw there was upstairs.

I think both Thirsty Bernie's and Tap & Vine are pretty easy to get into. Restaurant Vero, as well, though we have not been there yet. Both are in North Arlington. When I broke my leg, we really didn't go out much...we did go to Proof, who were wonderful about me having to have my leg up, but that's not in VA :P