Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar, Capitol Hill - Chef Drew Trautmann is Back in the Saddle!

I was there Wednesday evening for an 8pm seating and was greeted warmly by Jared, Eli, and Troy and had a chance to talk with them at the bar while the first seating cleared out. They started us out with a small plate of roasted nuts tossed with rosemary at the bar and I hope they keep them coming - yummm.

Banco’s comments also were similar to my experience. We too had the agugula, fennel and pecorino salad and the grilled apple salad, and they were pretty wonderful- keepers both. All the ingredients were very fresh, and the grilled apples, even cold, were terrific, and probably would be even better if they arrived still warm off the grill. We especially liked both dressings. Presentation needs tweaking – apples on top of cress, a grind of salt and pepper, but otherwise delish!

Next up was the wild boar sausage over bucatini, and the ravioli. The sausage was excellent! The pasta was perfectly al dente in both. The ravioli was my favorite course of the night - smokey, cheesy, mushroom goodness, with a good dose of oregano and thyme. Wished there was some good bread to mop up the sauce.

For second course there was the salmon with pancetta leek compote, and the ribeye. The compote was awesome, and the salmon nicely cooked, again just needed a grind of salt (shakers/grinders had not yet arrived). The ribeye was cooked medium rare as ordered, very tasty, on the small side (our waiter Adam explained that there will be a choice of small or large). We wanted more roast garlic, and loved the potatoes - very sweet.

The cheese course was a sampling of Humboldt Fog, gorgonzola picante and fontina baldosta creme primativa (sp?) - good choices all. They came with a small ramekin of wine pectin jelly that was perfect with the croutons. The pistachio ice cream was nice and creamy and I enjoyed the roasted pistachios that were sprinkled around it.

Overall the dishes we had were nicely thought out and certainly different from the other restaurants on the Hill. The Chianti Adam suggested really did work very well with both salmon and ribeye - thanks Adam!

We also really enjoyed a tour of the upstairs which is still under construction. There will be a lounge area in front facing the street scene, with a soaring ceiling and an attractive fireplace. A refined lounge space to have a nice glass of wine and a small plate of food will be a welcome addition to the Hill, which has a lot of bars, but most of them are on the dive bar side (not that there’s anything wrong with heading a few steps over to the Cap Lounge for a post-dinner Bass or two). Toward the rear will be more dining space, and there is even a loft space further up for more expansion.

A return visit is a definite yes, and next time I’ll hope for some of those truffled peaches! :lol:

Edited by crackers

The impression I got was that they were going for a real soft opening and there wouldn't be an official opening date...are they serving people every day if people wander in? or are they open and closed depnding upon if they are doing work on the place?

The impression I got was that they were going for a real soft opening and there wouldn't be an official opening date...are they serving people every day if people wander in? or are they open and closed depnding upon if they are doing work on the place?

I think they're letting people in depending on the work. I tried to go for lunch yesterday, but there was a scaffold in front and it looked pretty closed (though I could see Drew through the window). In any case, I felt I would have been imposing if I had knocked...

Anyone know anything about a possible EG/DR event?

They're still in preview mode. I got an email yesterday and made a last minute reservation for last night. The food was fantastic. Their system seems not to be completely coordinated yet, and the service still has some glitches. It seems that they're waiting until they know they are absolutely ready before they open. It is going to be a fabulous restaurant when it is ready for prime time.

We had a two-cheese plate (gorgonzola and fontina) and salami charcuterie. Those truffled peaches are amazing. They really do look like olives! The nuts, the bread, everything was just right. The quality, the flavor, and the presentation were all spot on. I had the Amish chicken and my husband had the wagyu (which I cannot pronounce for the life of me) burger with fontina. I loved the polenta that came with my chicken. We drank a Sonoma sauvignon blanc by the glass.

We had ordered the wild boar sausage and realized as we were eating our entrees that we had never gotten it. I mentioned the omission to our server to make sure it wouldn't be on the check and said we didn't need to have it. (I'd ordered more food than we really needed because I wanted to try a range of dishes.) It was a technical issue, it sounded like, with the order going to the kitchen. They brought out dessert to make up for it: panna cotta, which had a perfect texture, and a delicious ice cream I couldn't identify the flavor of, that came with a butterscotch sauce.

It was a great meal at the end of a rough week, a week during which I've had very little appetite. That was the most I've eaten all week, and it was delicious. I look forward to eating a lot more meals there.

I dropped in to view the progress yesterday afternoon on my way down to Eastern Market. Troy and Jared invited me in to try dinner. I was kind of skeptical because even the downstairs area looked like it was far from ready for Prime Time, but my curiosity got the better of me and I popped in around 8. I must say the downstairs was transformed into a real attractive space. Plopped down at the bar and started sampling the Italian reds. I mentioned to Drew that I'd already been to Harry's and had not yet had anything solid in my stomach. Presto out comes the calamari risotto in the squid's ink. I felt like I was flashing back to the Dalmatian coast where I had what I thought at the time was the best risotto I'd ever had. In short it was superb. My wife arrived and ordered the Bronzino -- the whole fish roasted (looks like trout) but comes from the Med. Nothing left on her plate by the time it occurred to me to ask for a bite. Also had the fontina cheese plate with the cured meat.

I told Jared that I was pretty sure the place will be a huge hit when it actually opens to the general public -- particullarly given the state of restaurant possibilities in that part of town. The upstairs areas are still under construction and will probably not be ready for about a month or maybe three weeks.

Edited by FunnyJohn

They seem to have finally opened to the public.  OpenTable appears to be accepting reservations for them.

I might try and swing by tonight after the Nats game. When I looked through the window yesterday afternoon, I saw their new bar top was installed and a few dozen bottles of wine adorned the shelves above the bar.

They seem to have finally opened to the public.  OpenTable appears to be accepting reservations for them.

Yesterday evening there was supposed to be some kind of wine event there where they were just opening the doors without any fanfare. I knew some people who planned to go but I didn't hear anything afterwards.

When I got the email preview invite on Friday, it was for reserving through Open Table, so that had been set up by then. The three preview dates they gave were Friday, Saturday, and today (presumably Monday was already blocked out for the wine event). So, I'm not sure which day is the official opening. From their last email, it looked like tonight was still preview.

Went to check out Sonoma Saturday night with a friend. Had quite a satisfying dinner, and it was nice to see the work in progress.

The seating downstairs is bistro-like in the sense that you get an earful of the conversation next table. Sometimes, this is entertaining, sometimes annoying. The space is spare and stylish, and I can envisage whiling the hours away at the bar watching the street scene.

Jared and Drew were mingling that night, and it was fantastic to finally meet them and gush about Mendocino to the people directly responsible for the Burger Conversion of Rude Euros dramaqueen.gif. They were very welcoming and encouraged to share our feedback as candidly as possible.

We were told, rather disarmingly, about the greenness of staff. Apart from a somewhat casual, surfdude conversation manner, I found the staff to be perfectly competent - our food arrived on time, we were never ignored, and the server was easy to found when needed. On the side note, please introduce yourself to Mick the bartender who is a darling and hails from Charlie Palmer where he was the star of the daytime show.

Now to food. We rocked onward to appetizers of wild green/scamorza ravioli in shallot and mushroom-infused broth and wild boar sausage with bucatini. The sausage is a favorite at Mendocino, and has received enough glowing reviews before, so no need to repeat anything except to say it's as good as it was (I pinched a piece from my friend's plate when he wasn't looking), and that wild boar from which the said sausage is made hails from Mutter Russland via D'Artagnan. Respect!!!! Maybe I'll get on the phone to order some for meself. mamafia.gif

My ravioli were hands down the kind of dish that makes you want to revise the rules of conduct in polite society prohibiting licking of plates to proper young ladies. It comes as three or four rather large pieces stuffed with so much goodness of smoky cheese and barely wilted greens, generously apportioned, and completely divine when spilled over into the saucing of fragrant broth awash with bits of shallots. Simply wonderful. I loved smelling it, eating it, sopping the rest of the sauce with bits of ravioli shells (not easy!). My only comment was that I would have loved to see the stuffing and broth elements minced in smaller-size pieces, but that's just nitpicking.

My burger was not as warm as I like them, which became clear after Drew explained that their lamp wasn't hooked up yet. The burger is a little brother of the Mendocino star and has all the glamorous toppings of fontina, tomato confit, grilled onion and poncetta. I can see how it would shine if served at proper temperature. I thought the slice of pancetta was a bit too thick, which made it chewy and hard to enjoy - Drew said he'll get on top of his prep cooks.

I pinched the menu to share it with the Bis people, and my GM called it "very reasonable." There was also a chianti on the reserve list which he thought was underpriced for $45. I wish I could tell you what it was. But you are going to have to do your own research.

I look forward to enjoying Sonoma when they open, and think they have a great addition to the dining scene in DC and particularly the Hill. The locals are telling me they are hurting for good food. barrel-organ.gifbarrel-organ.gif With Sonoma, there's much less reason to play that violin.

How was the pacing of the service?

Wondering if it would work for a pre-Nats game dinner stop...

Thanks!

Jennifer

I would imagine that if you let them know you were trying to make a Nats game they would expedite things for you. Esp. if you just do an entree and a couple glasses of wine at the bar.

Edited by Tweaked

Aaaaaah. :lol:

Just got back from lunch at Sonoma; they were pretty well packed despite the rain. The bucatini with boar sausage, arugula pesto, and spaghetti squash was perfect for a soggy day like this; it's also nice to be able to order pasta for lunch without having to carry half of it home!

The wines-by-the-glass setup is impressive; the "my red is tooooo warm!" folks should be pleased to know that even the warmest ones never get above 65 degrees. I had a glass of the Seghesio Ardeis (didn't catch the year), which stood up to the pesto and sausage pretty well.

They've also done a nice job renovating the space - Il Radicchio always felt incredibly crowded and dark, and Sonoma doesn't.

I look forward to going back and eating my way through the rest of the lunch menu - the cheese plate and pizza that got delivered to the folks next to me both looked very good. And it'll also be nice not to worry about timing; I was in and out in under an hour, which speaks well for both the servers and the kitchen.

Since my lunch at Sonoma a couple weeks ago (cf my post) I had wandered forlornly in front of the space during lunch hour, timidly peering into the windows like Julie Andrews in "Victor Victoria," wondering when I could repeat the experience. Today I discovered they were finally open for lunch again, and the intention of having a light lunch again turned into a four-course exploration of Sonoma's menu.

The interior has made progress; the custom-made communal tables have arrived, and it is evolving into a sleek but comfortable space.

The salad of watercress and wood-grilled apples was my starter. It was carefully prepared, but it struck me as not quite as rich and roundly flavored as I remember it from the last time. Maybe this is just the difference between first and second impressions, or perhaps it says something about the difficulties of being committed to organic and local ingredients while still ensuring the consistency of a dish.

Next came beef polpette with chard and polenta: understated but rich, with nice texture contrasts between the small meatballs, chard, and creamy polenta. I found myself admiring the brunoise of carrot in the sauce for its shape and al dente tenderness. Comfort food at a high level.

Scamorzi ravioli in shallot broth was a revelation. As soon as it was placed on the table its aroma commanded my attention. Tasting this little dish grabbed hold of my olfactory memory centers and transported me back to grad school in Bologna. The flavors were deep, slow, and melded. Here's a tip: pair this with the Italian Barbera by the glass currently on offer and you will taste what Sonoma can really do.

At this point I couldn't help trying one more course: the flank steak with poached garlic and rosemary potatoes. It was a perfect medium rare and nicely flavored with the garlic and a pan reduction. Troy paired it with a Montepulciano that was almost as good a complement as the Barbera was to the ravioli.

I have yet to dry desserts at Sonoma; I finished with an espresso. One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that Sonoma is one of the very few places in Washington that serves espresso properly, with a sliver of lemon peel.

To think we have a place like Sonoma on the Hill. The mind boggles..

I went to Sonoma twice last night-- before the Nats game and after. Do yourself a favor and get over there to try the pizza. You can choose from several first rate toppings to go on your red, white, or green (pesto) pizza. I went for a white pizza with gorgonzola and speck. It was excellent.

I went to Sonoma twice last night-- before the Nats game and after. Do yourself a favor and get over there to try the pizza. You can choose from several first rate toppings to go on your red, white, or green (pesto) pizza. I went for a white pizza with gorgonzola and speck. It was excellent.

I had a morel and mozzarella pizza there last week and it was delicious.

Why yes they are.  And apparently the White House has been notified because the First Lady was amongst those present this afternoon.

Yes, Laura Bush was sitting discreetly at the end of one of the banquettes, with a group of frosted hairdos. Her presence was a hopeful sign of taste in the WH.

Sonoma, of course, has plenty to spare. Gnocchi with botarga and tomato ragu was another one of those dishes that transports one to the Italian countryside: deeply aromatic and complex, making you pause to appreciate the aromas before you taste, yet not fussy in any way. The charred venison carpaccio sounded heavy on the menu, but was breathtaking in reality. The slices of meat were translucently thin, and the micro-greens that garnished it were so fresh and peppery they looked and tasted as if they had just been snipped from the garden; I could have devoured another serving of this dish on the spot. I finished with a cheese platter of four carefully selected samples, presented at the ideal temperature and condition. All the while, Troy plied me with whatever wine he thought best, and they were all delightful--especially a Sicilian red that had an herbal overtone that has kept me thinking since.

The staff were cool despite their important guest and people waiting at the door. After Laura Bush left with her detail her table was given to a heat-tired young couple and their (very well-behaved) toddler. That's really what the Hill has always needed: a place that serves high-level but unfussy cuisine while welcoming the diverse clientele that make up this neighborhood.

We walked into a packed Sonoma tonight at about 7:30 and managed to snag a couple of seats at the bar. Jared said they had hoped to have a chance to get warmed up to such volume, but the crowd kept coming. Despite the deluge, service managed to stay more or less on top of things and stay attentive despite the chaos.

The charred venison carpaccio with porcini aioli is outstanding-- one of the best carpaccio dishes I've had. And at $7! Such earthy pleasure. We both had a couple of pizzas which were delicious. I had a white pizza with morels and wild boar sausage and my ol lady had a red pizza with arugula.

A 15 minute walk away for me-- I'll be there regularly. :lol:

A return visit is a definite yes, and next time we’ll hope for some of those truffled peaches!
The return visit proved every bit as tasty as the first. And those truffled peaches were a treat.

The venison carpaccio:post-46-1118666862_thumb.jpg was a beautiful presentation.

Anyone know if a reservation is necessary for a Monday night?  Have they hit Palena monday night fame or should we be able to walk right in?

Click. Why chance it? Although the bar is a nice place to sit if you don't have a large party.

Edited by mdt

I too had the opportunity to try Somoma this weekend and really took pleasure in how clean and simple some of the dishes were. After being beaten down by that sun all day, I really just wanted something uncomplicated and honest.

I had the wood grilled (cedar plank?) king salmon with pancetta-leek compote and baby spinach, which was perfect medium-rare and the compote, vibrant without being too sweet or relishy. Nothing was over salted. It hit the spot.

And the grilled asparagus with farm egg and aged balsamic, which perhaps sounds dull, had an intense meaty flavor. I remember wishing I had more bread to sweep the trails of that crumbled egg and the lingering residue on the plate.

It's wonderful that Sonoma has such a nice long bar and such a generous offering of wines by the glass. Initially, the sterile atmosphere, the brushed aluminium everything worried me. But the food reminded me of a great meal I'd have in my own backyard and the service was casual and warm.

I'm looking forward to returning soon and trying that intriguing venison and the wonderful sounding wagyu burger.

Click.  Why chance it?  Although the bar is a nice place to sit if you don't have a large party.

Booked until 8:00 :lol::P That's a great sign for them that on a hot Monday with the threat of thunderstorms they are full.

Unfortunately the dinning companion de jour doesn't sit at the bar.

I think Hill residents should get seating preference ;)

Booked until 8:00 ;)   :P That's a great sign for them that on a hot Monday with the threat of thunderstorms they are full.

I think Hill residents should get seating preference :P

You can always call as opentable may not show all the tables that are available. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that most people in the seats are from the Hill. :lol:

I think Hill residents should get seating preference :lol:

Just so you know, there is no smoking at Sonoma, so if that is your DCDJ's issue with the bar, it ain't a problem.

Yes, Hill residents should get some sort of membership card!

The return visit proved every bit as tasty as the first.  And those truffled peaches were a treat. 

The venison carpaccio:post-46-1118666862_thumb.jpg was a beautiful presentation.

After our class at Cheesetique JG and I met laniloa and crackers for dinner at the packed Sonoma. We started off with a bottle of the Amethyst Vinalia to go along with the full charcuterie plate. After that we ordered first courses and did a little sharing. I had the gnocchi which were good, but the taste of crackers ravioli dish made me wish I ordered that. The carpaccio, photographed by crackers, was a very tasty dish. As mentioned earlier, not what I would have expected at all.

To finish we all had the vanilla panna cotta. Except for JG, he decided to have more cheese!

All in all a good meal at a decent price. I think the bill came to $160, before tip, for the large charcutrie plate with all the trimmings, 4 first courses, 4 desserts, and 2 bottles of wine.

Edited by mdt

I had the wood grilled (cedar plank?) king salmon with pancetta-leek compote and baby spinach, which  was perfect medium-rare and the compote, vibrant without being too sweet or relishy. Nothing was over salted.  It hit the spot.
I only hit Sonoma once, a few weeks ago during the preview meals, and one of the few things that hit me as being wrong with the food were some of the combinations on the plate. I thought the compote completely overwhelmed the salmon. Each on their own, the salmon and the compote are wonderful, but I didn't think they worked well together. That salmon should be the star of that plate and I thought the flavor of the compote was too over-the-top to be a team player. Mentioned it to Eli that evening, as they requested immediate feedback and impressions.

That said, I still have every intention of going back again.

Interesting, I thought the compote and the salmon worked well, but the spinach added nothing to the dish and was a complete waste...but regardless that compote is tasty!

These were my thoughts exactly when I had the salmon. But I haven't tried it a second time. Maybe they've made adjustments since then.

Good to hear they are so busy. (In a perfect world, they would turn the upstairs into a private space for Hill residents only.)

After our class at Cheesetique JG and I met laniloa and crackers for dinner at the packed Sonoma.  We started off with a bottle of the Amethyst Vinalia to go along with the full charcuterie plate.  After that we ordered first courses and did a little sharing.  I had the gnocchi which were good, but the taste of crackers ravioli dish made me wish I ordered that.  The carpaccio, photographed by crackers, was a very tasty dish.  As mentioned earlier, not what I would have expected at all.

To finish we all had the vanilla panna cotta.  Except for JG, he decided to have more cheese!

All in all a good meal at a decent price.  I think the bill came to $160, before tip, for the large charcutrie plate with all the trimmings, 4 first courses, 4 desserts, and 2 bottles of wine.

I'll play bad cop and comment on the service. This is a new restaurnt and it still has a few kinks to work out in the service department. Nothing major, just a series of minor missteps evenly spaced throughout the evening. They brought the charcuterie board but no plates. They proceeded to deliver the first courses but had to wisk them away when they realized they were for another table. They took my silverware away but didn't give me anything to eat my cheese course with. Just little things like that that marred the experience. They'll smooth it out with time.

I'll play bad cop and comment on the service.  This is a new restaurnt and it still has a few kinks to work out in the service department.  Nothing major, just a series of minor missteps evenly spaced throughout the evening.  They brought the charcuterie board but no plates.  They proceeded to deliver the first courses but had to wisk them away when they realized they were for another table.  They took my silverware away but didn't give me anything to eat my cheese course with.  Just little things like that that marred the experience.  They'll smooth it out with time.

Frere Jacques, did the servers properly identify the cheeses in your cheese course? This was a problem on my earlier visit which was CLEARLY excusable then, but hopefully is something that should be close to worked out by now.

Was in again for lunch today and it was slammed. Charcuterie was excellent, with bread that had been charred on the grill to great effect. Apple salad was fresh, crisp, tasty--didn't look like it came out of such a busy kitchen. The wine steeped figs were a real treat. I agree with some of the service quibbles raised above, and that they'll be resolved in good time.

Frere Jacques, did the servers properly identify the cheeses in your cheese course?  This was a problem on my earlier visit which was CLEARLY excusable then, but hopefully is something that should be close to worked out by now.

I only had 2 cheeses, one blue and one not. But to answer your question, no, they did not "go through the cheeses and tell which was the blue and which was not."

And come to think of it, the server didn't go through all the stuff on the charcuterie board either.

Was in for dinner for the first time early last night. Diver scallops with chanterelle were tender, aromatic, and well--very Sonoma. The scamorza ravioli in shallot broth continues to blow me away. And the bartender made an immaculate martini. I've gone through most of Sonoma's menu by now and haven't found a weak link on it.

I met Eli for the first time, and he gave me a tour of the evolving space upstairs and let me sample a few wines. The computer for the charge cards was down, so I now have an IOU to the house. Just a welcome excuse to get back ASAP--today for lunch, I should think.

After two failed attempts to have dinner here over the past two weeks (due to me not making reservations) I made sure to have rezzies for brunch on Sunday. Surprisingly, the place was basically empty at 1pm. Two or three filled tables inside and two tables occupied outside. We sat outside and enjoyed the cool-ish weather.

Started with trying all three of the Italian cows milk cheeses. They were quite good, although the server didn't announce which was which, and after I asked she wasn't quite sure. We figured them out while tasting and were quite happy with them.

The brunch menu was a bit of a disappointment, although the full menu was also offered. Focaccia french toast with citrus and blueberry topping was good, although it wasn't to the taste of my companion who ordered it. I thought it wasn't bad. My choice, the frittata with squash and morels, was incredibly boring and bland. Came with equally bland potatoes. Took five minutes for the requested salt and pepper to turn up.

Experienced the same service problems as have been reported here; they seem to be trying, but aren't quite there yet. No biggie.

But despite the so-so brunch entrees, it was a lovely time and I am looking forward to trying them again - but with the knowledge to perhaps shy away from the brunch menu.

Any ideas why the normally packed restaurant would be so ghostly on a Sunday?

Just returned from lunch with Sonoma's Wagyu burger, which is the best burger I've had in years: Deep red tomatoes, deep green greens, with grilled onions, taleggio and pancetta. I like a burger medium but always order medium-rare to compensate for the invariable tendency in most kitchens to overcook them. Not necessary here. Medium came out medium. The chocolate butter cream was everything the name implies, though I would have preferred a bit more airiness to it. The simplicity and honesty of Sonoma's deeply flavorful food continue to impress. I'm going to have to get a life and stay away for a while so I can continue to appreciate it.

I visited Sonoma the other night with two friends. Had a really nice meal at the bar there.

When I tried to make a last-minute Opentable.com res, they were "temporarily offline" and upon arrival, we were told that they probably couldn't seat us until 9:30 - it was around 7:30 at the time. As a result, we dined at the bar. One member of my party knew Mick, the barman on duty, so that was a plus. Still, service was pretty slow (albeit cheerful and friendly) because the place was slammed.

What we ate:

Charcuterie plate of bresola, prosciutto and salami

Three cheeses - unfortunately the online menu isn't presently the same as the in-house one so I can only say that I know we had an Italian bleu (Del...something?) and a delicious Spanish cheese (that was not manchego) and...maybe I need to stop drinking so much wine. :lol:

We also had the aforementioned bucatini (so good - I'll have to get this next time), the ravioli (my dish which I liked a lot; the broth was great sopped up with bread) and cedar planked wild king salmon, giant white beans, pancetta-leek compote (the friend who ate this said he liked it, but I could tell that it wasn't a rave; he works in a top-notch DC restaurant so perhaps he is spoiled ;) )

No time for dessert this time around. I needed to get home to see Game 6 of the NBA Finals.