Holiday Market, 9th & F NW

sparkycom

Gumbo this afternoon was delicious. They also sell gourmet flavored potato chips like "rosemary and olive oil."

Small gumbo, potato chips, Twix bar, and tip= $8

Helping a good cause...priceless!

The market just opened today and goes till Xmas. Lots of craftsmen/women and some very nice items for giving.

Goldenticket and I wandered around there today after volunteering at DCCK*. One of the soups of the day was Chicken Apple Curry, small for $4 (which to me is more like a large) and large for $5. The sampling I had was delish! I was happy to lob for the cart while we were chatting with sparkycom, the Super-duper-sole-cart-disher-outer-and-roper-person-of-the-day.

Also worth sampling is the booth right across from the cart -- mini-donuts with self-serve toppings of cinnamon+sugar, chocolate sauce, or jimmies (sprinkles, as some what call it). I didn't catch the booth's name, but only caught the words "Zeke's Coffee," though I didn't see any coffee sold.

*Let's volunteer there again in the new year!!

Also worth sampling is the booth right across from the cart -- mini-donuts with self-serve toppings of cinnamon+sugar, chocolate sauce, or jimmies (sprinkles, as some what call it). I didn't catch the booth's name, but only caught the words "Zeke's Coffee," though I didn't see any coffee sold.
They're calle Migue's Magnificent Mini Donuts. They are yummy fresh out of the fryer, which in itself is fun to watch as it squirts out little circles of batter, flips them and pushes them out to a large catch tray. The coffee was good - the 'market special' includes a large bag of donuts (about 15) and a cup of coffee for $5. Otherwise, the large bag is $4, the small (about 7 pieces) is $2.

I tried the chicken pot pie soup at the Capital Cart on Saturday and it was thick, full of chicken, veggies, and lots of herbs, topped by a cheese biscuit. Hit the spot on a cold day!

Our stint at the Holiday Market is over ; ( and another cart will be taking our place--Korean BBQ! I plan on getting over there this week to check them out. I hear they make their own kimchee. And those donuts across the way are darned tasty!

(Thanks goldenticket, goodeats, legant, srtajrosa, zora & danielk!)