Baci, Courthouse Square in Downtown Rockville - Closed

We were driving through downtown Rockville this morning and noticed that there was a "Grand Opening" for an Italian restaurant, on North Washington Street. It is not in the Town Center, and is located next to Chopstix where, previously, there was a rather tired kabob joint. What was surprising, when I found their website, was who was listed as the chef. Sounds like it's worth a visit.

It certainly is. In addition, both that and his biography at the Bebo site talk about Galileo in the present tense.

Having worked for Roberto at Pesce, Galileo, Barolo and Il Radicchio back in what I term as the "Glory day's" of his restaurant empire, I wonder if he's tiring of his "One man restaurant show" and begining to expand his wings a little?

If his other restaurants are any guild your expectations should be for good food and painful service.

I'm very suprised that Roberto Donna would open a restaurant in Montgomery County, knowing how difficult it is to have a decent wine list, or to be consistent with the wine, when you have to deal with the MC store as the only legal wholesaler.

WTF! Is Donna really the chef here or did they just rented his name for use on the web-site?

We ate there Saturday night. According to the menu Roberto was responsible for designing the menu. The food seemed similar to Bebo. Veal carpaccio was the same preparation to we had at Bebo - a very nice dish of thin sliced veal with arugula and parmesean. Grilled baby octopus with marinated eggplant was delicious, unfortunately there was only one octopus cut in half for , I think, $14. Our entrees were a lasgnette with sausage, leeks and marscapone and paparadelle with a duck ragu. The homemade pasta had a nice texture with the exception of a few paparadelle noodles that were stuck to together and therefore undercooked. The sausage sauce was mild and creamy. The duck ragu was good but a bit bland. The foccacia had thin slices of nicely seasoned tomato but was a bit gummy in spots.

The service was overly attentive to the point of being obtrusive, we must have been asked how everything was at least a dozen times.

This is an amazing restaurant for Rockville, but if I did not live nearby I do not think it would be worth a trip to the burbs. or the price I would rather go somewhere that there is a chance that the person that designed the menu is executing it.

Can a restaurant claim someone as its executive chef for simply designing its menu? Seriously, how do we know Donna designed its menu? Cafe Du Parc doesn't claim Antoine Westermann as its executive chef, nor does Westend Bistro claim Eric Ripert as its executive chef. Smacks of false advertisement to me.

Can a restaurant claim someone as its executive chef for simply designing its menu? Seriously, how do we know Donna designed its menu? Cafe Du Parc doesn't claim Antoine Westermann as its executive chef, nor does Westend Bistro claim Eric Ripert as its executive chef. Smacks of false advertisement to me.

I was more appalled to read that an appetizer that had one baby octopus cost $14! :lol:

Good point. And after that review above, Baci doesn't sound all that appealing. Thus, I will officially change my mind and take a pass.

rob

This evening, at Baci, my wife and I were served a soup and salad course by Roberto Donna, himself. Wearing his chef's whites, he was helpful, personable, and very obviously involved with the goings on at Baci. All in all, a very pleasant and satisfying meal of roasted beet salad and pasta e fagioli, Cornish hen and veal scallopine, pear poached in red wine, and French press coffee, accompanied by a nice Dolcetto and a flight of 3 Chiantis. The service was just right. This is a family owned and run place and most of the staff are related to each other. We are looking forward to a return visit.

Received this in email the other day. Definitely seem to be playing up the Roberto connection...

Join Baci & Iron Chef Donna For A Decadent 4-Course Piemontese Wine Tasting Dinner

Whether you’re looking for a special way to celebrate an occasion or simply want to indulge yourself, this culinary extravaganza features a menu that will journey your palate to Chef Roberto Donnas’ native region of Piedmont!

Thursday, February 26, 2009 @ 7:30 P.M. $65 per person (exclusive of additional beverages, tax & gratuity)

Reservations required, call Nancy Sabbagh @ 202-257-0168 (Monday – Saturday, 12 p.m.–8 p.m.)

Menu Featured (each course paired with 3 oz. of the listed wine):

• Egg Yolk Taglierini with Quail and Sausage Ragu / Arneis Cajega, Tenuta Carretta, 2007
  • Braised Farm Chicken with Onions and Porcini Mushrooms / Barbera D’alba, Tenuta Carretta, 2005
  • Veal T-bone filled w/Prosciutto & Parmesan Cheese simmered in Cream Sauce/Barolo, Tenuta Carretta, 2003
  • “Fricio” Fritters with Raisins and Pine Nuts / Moscato, Tenuta Carretta, 2007

(Menu items may be altered to meet guest dietary restrictions, kindly advise upon placing your reservation)

KINDLY NOTE: Email reservations & walk-ins are not accepted for this event. All reservations are FINAL, NO cancellations, refunds, credits, or gift certificate redemption, etc. are permissible. Failure to attend dinner will result in full charges of the estimated event cost. Baci holds the right to cancel the dinner if an adequate number of attendees is not met or at sole discretion. If dinner is cancelled, guests will be contacted within 48 hours of the event date. Prompt arrival is requested; please call Baci directly @ 301-838-7441 if you experience any arrival delays. Dinner held @ Baci @ 4 North Washington Street, Rockville, Maryland 20850. Self parking available & directions listed on www.baciofrockville.com